FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: JZD to the big screen at last?

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

JZD to the big screen at last?

I know we have danced this dance before but here goes: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/su...ry-1201920618/
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Maybe Sundance will actually do something with it instead of talking about it for 8 years.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Hope springs eternal. Hopefully with John's family on board and some serious filmmakers this will happen.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    05457

And Tamir is the producer! Somehow I missed that he was in film. That is awesome.
    David Proehl

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

JZD to the big screen at last?

It's hard to believe it has taken as long as it has for someone to make a film out of the Delorean story. For better or worse (and often by his own doing) his life story already reads like a Hollywood movie, someone just had to put it all together.

I guess it's just "safer" to remake all the 80s classics than risk anything new anymore.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    0726

Don't we have enough documentaries about this story, what about a movie with actors to tell the story, like George Clooney
    VIN 0726

Quote Originally Posted by ILM1010 View Post
    Don't we have enough documentaries about this story, what about a movie with actors to tell the story, like George Clooney
    Finding someone with movie ideas is easy...finding investors willing to front the money for a movie is a different story. I personally would love to see the story on the big screen and I really think with some minor massaging it would actually be a movie worthy storyline. Just be glad Sundance bought the rights and although every idea or rights purchased doesn't necessarily make it to a complete project, it definitely has more push behind it now than ever.

At this point I would settle for a made for TV movie which is better than a 5 min. teaser that is almost a decade old now. I think if this finally does come to fruition in a few years it will not be a documentary but a docudrama or even a feature movie.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-18-2016 at 12:34 PM.

My VIN:    6585

If there is a documentary to be made about John Z. De Lorean, it is, I believe, for the best that it has taken so long.

The marque itself is now viewed in a far more positive light than it has been in years past. People are also far more sympathetic now towards JZD as well. Which ironically before the press demonized him, the public was on his side. Lots of people forget that it wasn't until the media starting portraying the man in a slanted, negative view of being a disgraced businessman and the shame of the auto industry that people really turned on him. His arrest first brought about a massive wave of public sympathy in his favor.

But the big thing now is that we finally have The Internet at our disposal to fact-checking. And we even carry it around with us in our pockets all the time. Isn't DeLorean in jail? No. Helicopter engine in the back? No. I think that his daughter Kathryn's response to the TV show, The Goldbergs is also a shining example of both that fact-checking ability, but also instant feedback to the press. Sometimes, as I found out with the Los Angeles Times when I contacted them via e-mail to correct an inaccuracy about DeLoreans in an article, the press is wonderfully easy to deal with. They instantly corrected the info for all to see. In other cases such as with the TV show here, the response was to continually delete the posts which just seemed to have induced a Streisand effect to the topic which led to more people being correctly informed.

Likewise, screenwriters and directors also can, as they see fit, insert so many fictitious plot devices to sweeten a story that they radically rewrite history to suit their vision. Something you can't easily do today given that viewers will call you out and turn on you in a heartbeat. But can still establish falsehoods in the minds of the viewers. Which is potentially the problem here. The telling of this story is going to be at the mercy of the director.

There is this one little thing here though. Just a small quote that caught my eye:

“We intend to take advantage of recently released documents by the US Federal Government, as well as the British Government, to piece together the definitive John DeLorean story.”

Exactly what now are those documents? I've been searching for the DEA's raw, complete, unedited footage of JZD's arrest as I've heard a rumor that there could be some exonerating evidence in it. I've no idea if it is true or not, but I am indeed curious as to what this other information from the governments is.

Also, is this to be simply a documentary on JZD himself, or DMC as well? Because I'm rather curious as to if GPD and Jaroslav Juhan will be mentioned in the history of DMC and their involvement/purpose with the project.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

All that's left for us now is to start naming our cast choices (within reason, remember we are on Sundance budget not Columbia so no George Clooney)

My VIN:    6585

Doesn't look like it's going to be that kind of movie. Looking at the director's previous credits, it will be a straight documentary with interviews. Again though, who knows what the director's angle is going to be.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast