FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: JZD to the big screen at last?

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm not saying it will never happen, I'm just tired of every 2 bit film maker using the subject matter as free advertising for his 2 bit film company knowing full well they will never undertake the endeavor.
    Associated Industri--- aw, forget it.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Normally I would agree, but this one seems to have a chance of making it. The film-maker in question has just completed another NI based movie about Ian Paisley and Martin Maginnis (two polar opposite NI leaders in "The Troubles" that became unlikely friends) that is being well received by critics and somehow got funding, so he is striking while the proverbial iron is hot. It won't be a blockbuster, and maybe not even a general release film (unless Jason Sudakis carries it) but this one may actually get made.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I think the Sundance project has the best chance financially but with Tamir's help and input also has the most enthusiasm behind it (not to mention historical knowledge). All the others are just fluff.

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Never say never. One day it may come to pass but to guess on any particular project is a waste of time. In the current climate capitalistic entrepreneurs are usually cast as the evil villains. They are doing it just for all of that awful money. Never mind the jobs they create and the families that prosper. Now if JZD was not a rich white guy you might see it sooner!
    Funny- the McDonald's story recently came out with Micheal Keaton as Ray Kroc. It was supposed to be in the theaters, but soon after I saw the trailer, it was on iTunes in no time. Still, looks like an interesting movie, but of course from the looks of it they kind of vilify Kroc as being the guy who stole from the two brothers and their one restaurant.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm not saying it will never happen, I'm just tired of every 2 bit film maker using the subject matter as free advertising for his 2 bit film company knowing full well they will never undertake the endeavor.
    I've got to agree with you on this. You look at the article, and there is no source for any of the information. Any other sites currently carrying this story, hell, even the alleged production company's own news page, all point back to this particular article as the "source".

There are just far too many aspects for a DeLorean movie to focus on, and way too many angles to tell those smaller stories with. None of which would ever be a proper compromise that viewers (let alone still living witnesses, and in particular, family members) would ever unanimously agree upon. So you'd have someone, somewhere speaking out against the film. Portray JZD negatively, you'll have the car community & family up in arms. Portray the DEA as the criminals that ruthlessly did anything they could to entrap him, you'll have cops and conservatives up in arms over how they were portrayed. And negativity is NOT something that the backers want. But production companies all know that tossing the name "DeLorean" out there quickly brings them more cheap advertising than anything else.

Unfortunately, if this project does go forward, it seems that the former of the two previous scenarios is what the director is going after. Here is the synopsis on the production company's website for this movie.

Portraying James Hoffman as the victim here? Seriously? That same shitbag cocksucker purposefully once sabotaged a previous DEA sting operation so that he could blackmail the suspects. Because after what he already collected from the DEA in compensation, he found he could get even more from those drug dealers. Best of all was the fact that his lackluster career as an informant had cost the DEA well over six-figures in cash payouts to Hoffman, and at least one brand new Cadillac.

You know, JZD was certainly no angel. That's for damn sure. You want to talk about how he wanted the good life? Go ahead. How he made himself over in name, face, and being well-spoken to cover up that slurry Michigan accent? Fine. But be honest about it. Yeah, there were opportunities for him to have saved DMC, and his greed screwed them up. But there were also a whole helluva lot more people worse than he was that lent a helping hand to crater the company. Tell the truth about that!

But come on now. Hoffman was De Lorean's neighbor in Pauma Valley, California for all of only 2 weeks. During that time they met only once before Hoffman moved away. And if memory serves, it wasn't until Hoffman was on a court bench in NYC years later that he read a news story about DMC's financial troubles that he got the idea about delivering JZD to the DEA in order to avoid going BACK to prison. So don't try and play with this whole horseshit line of, "Enticed into DeLorean’s inner circle...". The man forced his way into De Lorean's life by lying to the DEA, and to JZD.

I don't know anything about the writer of this story, Colin Bateman. But I can certainly tell that his best work is obviously fiction.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Nothing witty here lest it offend

"Blindsided" is a new film in production about an iceberg in the North Atlantic minding its own business when it is struck by a environment-destroying deathship newly constructed by the evil White Star corporation.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    "Blindsided" is a new film in production about an iceberg in the North Atlantic minding its own business when it is struck by a environment-destroying deathship newly constructed by the evil White Star corporation.
    I always pull for the underdog

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Normally I would agree, but this one seems to have a chance of making it. The film-maker in question has just completed another NI based movie about Ian Paisley and Martin Maginnis (two polar opposite NI leaders in "The Troubles" that became unlikely friends) that is being well received by critics and somehow got funding, so he is striking while the proverbial iron is hot. It won't be a blockbuster, and maybe not even a general release film (unless Jason Sudakis carries it) but this one may actually get made.
    Another significant factor in making this film has come to light in the past few weeks. They planned to start filming in Puerto Rico in September (about 4 months from now).

Without getting political, Puerto Rico is going through a major debt crisis that is currently shutting down or significantly impacting many public and private businesses.

Unless the film makers are looking to re-create scenes from "The Troubles", the streets of Puerto Rico may not be the best place to try to film a movie this year.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Another significant factor in making this film has come to light in the past few weeks. They planned to start filming in Puerto Rico in September (about 4 months from now).

Without getting political, Puerto Rico is going through a major debt crisis that is currently shutting down or significantly impacting many public and private businesses.

Unless the film makers are looking to re-create scenes from "The Troubles", the streets of Puerto Rico may not be the best place to try to film a movie this year.

There is a certain irony to doing the film in PR. When JZD was looking for a place to build his factory, PR was in a bidding war against Northern Ireland. We all know how that story ended! The producers are probably getting tax credits for going to PR. And things are probably cheap there now. As for how the story will be told and who the good guys and the bad guys will be, that can all be handled in the editing room. Often during filming, even the actors and crew don't know how it turns out. Sometimes several versions and endings are shot just to keep everyone guessing.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There is a certain irony to doing the film in PR. When JZD was looking for a place to build his factory, PR was in a bidding war against Northern Ireland. We all know how that story ended! The producers are probably getting tax credits for going to PR. And things are probably cheap there now. As for how the story will be told and who the good guys and the bad guys will be, that can all be handled in the editing room. Often during filming, even the actors and crew don't know how it turns out. Sometimes several versions and endings are shot just to keep everyone guessing.
    The irony that I was referring to was that the streets of Puerto Rico have started to look like the streets of Northern Ireland from four decades ago. Unemployment upwards of 40% in some
    locations and the crushing debt threatening to close over 100 schools and crime running rampant. Not sure any of that would offset the promises of tax credits, which may not materialize.

My cousin worked in Puerto Rico, on and off, throughout 2016, as a contractor for Google X (now just called X) launching WiFi balloon antennas from the former US naval base in Puerto Rico.
    Globally, the project is known as "Project Loon" (fitting) and the Puerto Rico phase is known as "Chicken Little", since the test balloon antennas will potentially (eventually) fall out of the sky.

Things got so bad in Puerto Rico in the last year, my cousin quit his contracting job and swears that he will never go back to Puerto Rico. While I am sure his experiences may only be his own,
    it certainly does not sound like a very favorable environment to be filming. Some added security may help, but it may be an area to avoid for the near future, until things stabilize a little more.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast