FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Another Entitled Instagram Photo

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Since when did "geek" and "nerd" become synonymous with fat and lazy?
    Well, the stereotype has been around for quite some time.

However, the better question is why do people keep trying to self-apply those labels to try and get attention? Most people who would fit into those traditional definitions are usually pretty private and prefer to be independent. They're not antisocial, just have a much tighter group of friends, and don't actually seek out attention. So if you're trying to brag about the title, you're not really one at all. Kinda like the old saying that if you don't know what Mensa is, there's a reason... But people desperately need attention nowadays, so whatever helps I suppose.

Though admittedly, I'm old fashioned. When someone says Geek, instead of an IT guy working on a computer, I picture an alcoholic junkie at a sideshow biting the heads off of live chickens and snakes so he can score some cheap dope. So when someone says, "I'm a geek girl!", my only thought is to please keep that woman out of the pet shop for the safety of the animals.

It is wrong to shame someone because of their body, gender, or whatever. We should not do that. But please read up on the etymology of the words you choose before you commit to using them to describe yourself.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Has she also made her account private since the pic was shared? Says I need to follow her to see the pic.
    Yes, I think so. I checked it earlier and could see it without logging in or following her and now it says the page you've requested cannot be found (or something along those lines).

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Well, the stereotype has been around for quite some time.

However, the better question is why do people keep trying to self-apply those labels to try and get attention? Most people who would fit into those traditional definitions are usually pretty private and prefer to be independent. They're not antisocial, just have a much tighter group of friends, and don't actually seek out attention. So if you're trying to brag about the title, you're not really one at all. Kinda like the old saying that if you don't know what Mensa is, there's a reason... But people desperately need attention nowadays, so whatever helps I suppose.

Though admittedly, I'm old fashioned. When someone says Geek, instead of an IT guy working on a computer, I picture an alcoholic junkie at a sideshow biting the heads off of live chickens and snakes so he can score some cheap dope. So when someone says, "I'm a geek girl!", my only thought is to please keep that woman out of the pet shop for the safety of the animals.

It is wrong to shame someone because of their body, gender, or whatever. We should not do that. But please read up on the etymology of the words you choose before you commit to using them to describe yourself.
    My take on the "new breed" of geeks or nerds or Comicon types is that it has suddenly become fashionable. Or trendy. Like it became desirable to emphasize how you're "a bit of a dork" on an online profile.

Somehow I don't buy that though because when you see this mentioned, it is often by people that clearly don't fit the part. Overly attractive women on dating sites or even professional athletes. There was a short lived fad not long ago where you had these world class basketball players wearing clear lense glasses in an effort to look more intelligent or geeky perhaps. LeBron James and Dwayne Wade wore them if I remember correctly.

Robert's right about how it was usually something no one needed or wanted to bring attention to themselves for. Much simpler or happier just off doing your own thing without the need for all the fan fare or attention. Now it's become an appealing quality somehow, but by those jumping on the geek bandwagon because that looks cool to them. Maybe it has been the light shone on the likes of a Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or other geek turned billionaire and the Kardashian following type thinks this is how they get to the promised land? We are in the "Broadcast Yourself" (aka YouTube) era afterall.

It doesn't seem natural though, out of place, like someone that doesn't know the first thing about anything geeky, or nerdy or intelligent is trying to play the part because they watched a couple episodes of the Big Bang Theory. I get a laugh out of how overused all the stats and number crunching has become in professional sports all because of the Oakland A's and Billy Bean (aka Moneyball) having success with it. It's rampant in baseball and how the teams play the game, or talk about it afterwards. Same for hockey.

The funniest part is that most of the players and certainly the TV personalities couldn't fight their way out of a grade 10 math class equivalent to a wet paper bag. You hear these dumb dumbs talking math and numbers and none of it means anything to them as they don't get it. Just trying to go along with the masses and keep up the appearances... in this case, being intelligent.

I agree with not needing to shame someone because of how they look, gender, etc. Lying on the car gets a tongue lashing of course, same as she would if she was 100 lbs lighter. Easy to pile on to looks or weight or whatever even though it gets people off the actual issue unfortunately. I don't say this aiming to start some political mess, but people do the same with Michael Moore when he has something to say or makes a new movie. He gets beat up pretty badly about how he looks instead of the comments sticking to what he had to say and whether you agree with it or not.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Another one cowers in obscurity.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Johnathan and Robert are in a dead heat for the title of members who write the longest posts.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Johnathan and Robert are in a dead heat for the title of members who write the longest posts.
    Agreed :P~

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4