FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looked at a early vin number car today with gas flip hood. Questions

Looked at a early vin number car today with gas flip hood. Questions

Hello All,

So I looked a early vin number car today. Vin was in the 900's (don't have the photos handy right now) And it had a flip lid for the gas fill. Car was rough on the inside. Everything was cracked and torn up. Typical car that's been in the Kansas sun for years with no cover. Underside looked very clean with no rust and the engine was all there. Front windshield was cracked couple of small dings in the body.

Are the early vin cars any more desirable than later models or is it only a preference thing?

I have some leads on a couple of other cars too I'm going to check out. Decided its getting time to get another project.

Thanks,

Jeff

My VIN:    1058

All the cars are the same. Sure the gas flap and some other little cosmetic things here and there but only a Delorean guy will know the difference. Nobody notices my gun metal wheels. The price of a new windshield is crazy. Think about that.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Now that I'm thinking about it.opening the bonnet every time I needed gas would get old. If I had to buy one I would like grey interior and gas flap. My black interior gets toasty and the grey just looks better. Same for the early gun metal rims. Late model color looks better

Is a new windshield around $500.00? Plus freight?

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by 66 Vette View Post
    Is a new windshield around $500.00? Plus freight?
    From DMC-H in Texas

https://store.delorean.com/p-9752-wi...o-antenna.aspx (Standard)

https://store.delorean.com/p-10312-w...ntenna-ir.aspx. (With IR Protection)

https://store.delorean.com/p-9751-wi...-wantenna.aspx (With Embedded Antenna)
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Ratrace427 View Post
    If I had to buy one I would like grey interior and gas flap.
    That's a pretty rare combination; about 200 cars total. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale. Does it make those cars command a premium? Not from what I've seen. Condition and service history are where value lies in DeLoreans.
    Louie Golden

Plus install. That's if you find someone to do it. It will probably be only a slight aggregation. When the installer finds out they are messing with a $500 glass they get weird. Places like safe lite want quick and easy glass. Glass they mark up and install for $200 and have in stock. I tried to have them fix a crack in mine and had to release them of damages. Meh. Use the windshield as leverage to get the car cheap

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Condition and service history are where value lies in DeLoreans.
    ^^^^This, in spades.

There is a very small group of people interested in the 500 vin cars, and an even smaller group who would buy one and know how to restore it the way it was built.

Beyond that, no, they are all the same at this point in terms of desireability viz-a-viz the actual VIN.

Gas-flap vs flat is a personal choice and there are always owned of one type wanting to swap for the other.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    ^^^^This, in spades.

There is a very small group of people interested in the 500 vin cars, and an even smaller group who would buy one and know how to restore it the way it was built.

Beyond that, no, they are all the same at this point in terms of desireability viz-a-viz the actual VIN.

Gas-flap vs flat is a personal choice and there are always owned of one type wanting to swap for the other.
    There are some running production changes that differentiate early from late and there were some recalls and service bulletins that the car may require if they haven't been done. Being an early car doesn't necessarily make the car valuable. Even though a windscreen may be expensive it should not stop you from buying the car if it is factored into the sale price. Interior parts can be expensive and some are difficult to obtain. Dings can be repaired but that can also be expensive. The best advice from an economic standpoint is to always buy the best car you can afford. If you are looking for a project you must estimate how much you will be spending in parts and what the car will be worth when you are done to come up with how much you can offer the seller. Typically a neglected car will need EVERYTHING. The standard rule-of-thumb is $10,000 + $1,000 for every year it sat. Add to that the cost to acquire it. A good runner that needs some cosmetic work is worth $20-$25K
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratrace427 View Post
    Plus install. That's if you find someone to do it. It will probably be only a slight aggregation. When the installer finds out they are messing with a $500 glass they get weird. Places like safe lite want quick and easy glass. Glass they mark up and install for $200 and have in stock. I tried to have them fix a crack in mine and had to release them of damages. Meh. Use the windshield as leverage to get the car cheap

Agreed. I have found that a national company would rarely agree to do work on the DeLorean. I called Safe Lite to reinstall the rear quarter window and they wouldn't do the job because of liability. I had the same experience with installation of tires, dent repair, and an alignment. You just have to find a quality, independent shop. I had all four services done, and done right. I found that I just had to call around more.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast