FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow rolling in, NOW what?

My VIN:    10907

Snow rolling in, NOW what?

So in case anybody didn't follow my misadventures on my last road trip, my car is currently stranded in Vegas getting some brake components replaced. I live in Salt Lake City and I was planning on going back for it in a couple of weeks, but they're calling for up to 8 inches of snow here this next week. I've heard horror stories about the undercarriage/frame getting trashed from driving in the snow one time, am I pretty much stuck having it trailered back or trying to con one of my friends into keeping it in SoCal for the winter?

It wouldn't be my first choice to drive in falling snow anyway but I was hoping that it might warm up & dry up enough to make it back. If I drive on a previously salted road but wash it when I get home, will that mitigate the damage? Those of you who have driven your cars in the snow, any helpful hints?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    So in case anybody didn't follow my misadventures on my last road trip, my car is currently stranded in Vegas getting some brake components replaced. I live in Salt Lake City and I was planning on going back for it in a couple of weeks, but they're calling for up to 8 inches of snow here this next week. I've heard horror stories about the undercarriage/frame getting trashed from driving in the snow one time, am I pretty much stuck having it trailered back or trying to con one of my friends into keeping it in SoCal for the winter?

It wouldn't be my first choice to drive in falling snow anyway but I was hoping that it might warm up & dry up enough to make it back. If I drive on a previously salted road but wash it when I get home, will that mitigate the damage? Those of you who have driven your cars in the snow, any helpful hints?
    It wont rot the frame in one go! Aesthetically you'd probably be fine after a GOOD wash and rinse all over. Is it safe? Now thats another story. I did it once and I wouldn't do it again. Handling characteristics of the DMC in snow aside, if you hit anything, run in to anything or have anything slide into you, you'd probably loose against what is likely going to be a larger objet.

Case in point:

13043281_10153399606491916_4323571287311218133_n.jpg
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Lol..that does kinda give a nice comparison of our happy lil cars compared to those lumbering beasts.

As for snow...while I can't speak from personal experience, driving a Delores in snow wont be much different than any other rear wheel drive car. But its a matter of comfort. I've driven a 78 Camaro (with bald tires), 73 Opel Manta, 84 Chrysler Laser, 84 Mazda B2000 PU and 99 Mustang in snow and only ever had issues on hills when I had to stop....of course I learned one place at a local store to NEVER go out when its slick when my mustang wanted to stop but it was too steep and slick and I slid right out into road to the wrong side....hehe.

Id offer to come drive it for you...but might end up taking a wrong turn (on accident, of course) that leads to my place.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I think I'd take a wait and see attitude. It seems like the weather out there is a lot different than the Midwest. How long does snow typically stay around along those driving routes? It seems like from what I've heard the snow in lower elevations never stays long.

The other thing might be to just rent a secured storage unit for a few months. Piece of mind. I would think a storage unit is cheaper than having it hauled back to SLC. But you might swing a deal with an auto hauler going from Vegas to SLC. Barrett-Jackson is coming Soon and those trucks will be dead heading Out to remote locations to bring in cars to the Auction. I'm sure SLC is big pickup point for Auto Haulers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Like others have said I'd worry less about damage, just wash it when you are home. But controlling the vehicle and driving defensively is another issue. The delorean is just a little play toy compared to every other car on the road. The weight distribution is working against you as well, doesnt take much to spin the car around 180.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

If you want/need to have it towed you could rent a U-Haul car carrier (the ones that are a full trailer, not the ones that just put the front wheels up) and borrow a pick-up to drive it back. I did that when I needed to tow my car down to get worked on. I think it was around $60 for 24 hours, borrowed my Dad's boss's F-150 and towed it down. Heck of a lot cheaper than hiring a tow company. Just another option for you.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-...ort-Rental/AT/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

It wouldn't be the snow that trashes the frame, it would be the salt they spread on the roads. I drove for many, many years throughout the winters in upstate New York. And I can tell you my D was much better in the snow than my front-wheel drive Altima, I could go uphill with inches of snow on the road easily while my wife would be burning up the tires behind me trying to get traction in the Altima. I've never lost control in the D unless it was on purpose in a parking lot; I did lose control once in the Altima but nothing bad happened. Compared to all of my vehicles aside from my Subaru AWD, the DeLorean was the best in the snow. However, one thing I can say is you have to know how to drive in the snow.
    Last edited by dn010; 11-23-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Sorry I can't second this.

maybe you have luck uphill because of the weight being on the rear axle,

but - no steering, no brakes ! Hell, I missed the driveway to my house by ~ 10 meters !
    Steering only worked when going very slow.

If you're not used to it and your tires are the regular summer tires - don't drive that far.

I enjoyed driving mine in the snow for fun. Parking lot, roads with no traffic...finally
    burnouts and 360s were possible :-P

My VIN:    03572

I grew up in Connecticut with rear wheel drive cars. It's not a problem when you do it all the time. You know to be very carfull when you need to stop. It was always fun going to empty parking lots and just playing doing spin outs.

Since my D is a hobby car, I never take it out on salted roads just to keep the frame from rotting. If I had a SS frame I would probably drive it with light snow.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

If I could do it all over again, I would never drive the D on the salted roads. Ever! Even with a stainless frame, you have a whole bunch of other steel parts to worry about.

Lesson (expensive one) learned...

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I grew up in Connecticut with rear wheel drive cars. It's not a problem when you do it all the time. You know to be very carfull when you need to stop. It was always fun going to empty parking lots and just playing doing spin outs.

Since my D is a hobby car, I never take it out on salted roads just to keep the frame from rotting. If I had a SS frame I would probably drive it with light snow.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast