FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Air filter locations - Where is yours?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Air filter locations - Where is yours?

Obviously this question is asked to those who've converted to a different engine:

So my EFI setup is up and running nicely at this point, however, I'd like to relocate my air filter. Currently I have a cone air filter that is located to the right of my water pump, extending out above and over my muffler and it is pretty much right by the expansion tank. The first, biggest problem I realized I had right away was that the air filter was sitting right below the steel mesh of the lower engine cover. In order to prevent any kind of water soaking the air filter, I created an aluminum plate to go over the filter. The second thing is that the filter is sucking in hot air all the time once the engine is warm, and while this hasn't really caused many issues with running, I would like to have cold air entering instead of engine bay air. My setup and calculations are based off of a mass air sensor with a built in intake air temp sensor so I am sure I'll have to adjust some after this.

Ideally, I would love to move the air filter into the passenger side pontoon and utilize the vent on that side like the stock duct system did. Any pointers? Suggestions? Pictures? Any info is appreciated.

Cheers,
    -----Dan B.

I suppose I should have added what I plan on doing - I'd purchase an inline air box / filter and aluminum or plastic piping. I don't really want to use the flexible piping. I'd love to be able to hid the filter in the pontoon but that seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth? Either way, piping from the intake to the filter, to the vent on the DeLorean.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have my filter in my drivers side pontoon. Works good. If you want to put it in the passenger side pontoon some cutting will be in order

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    2790

Air filter location

Cone filter in a home-made airbok mounted to passenger side valve cover. Air is ducted via the same path and parts the factory used into the underside of the box
    IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2441.jpg

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Mine is in the passenger side pontoon. I enlarged the hole and used a cylindrical K&N. I rigged up a screw in fixture by butchering a screw on type tupperware container. I epoxied the female 'ring' to the fiberglass and the male 'ring' goes around the air pipe and screws onto the female section. Hard to describe, but I'll see if I can take a pic. Ensures that the air is as cool as possible as it isn't from the engine compartment. Also lets me mount the incoming air sensor far away from any heat sources.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it! I'm going to be looking into my options this weekend, see if I can get something together. From what I gather, it is easier to use the driver side pontoon - did you guys remove the charcoal canister? I like the air box Mark, if I could find something small, it might be an option for me - it looks like you're using the original PRV - I notice your throttle body is in the center of the intake? My throttle body is mounted on the back of the intake nearest the firewall and the opening points about 2-o'clock so my piping to the driver side pontoon would be extensive, air box would seem like a great idea but depends on the room I have.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    2790

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it! I'm going to be looking into my options this weekend, see if I can get something together. From what I gather, it is easier to use the driver side pontoon - did you guys remove the charcoal canister? I like the air box Mark, if I could find something small, it might be an option for me - it looks like you're using the original PRV - I notice your throttle body is in the center of the intake? My throttle body is mounted on the back of the intake nearest the firewall and the opening points about 2-o'clock so my piping to the driver side pontoon would be extensive, air box would seem like a great idea but depends on the room I have.
    Yes, i have a stock PRV with a Z7U manifold, so, yep, throttle body is smack-dab in the center. That position allowed me to still route air from the passenger pontoon, so i kept the charcoal can. I activate it via a Chrysler electric valve whenever the throttle position is between 'cracked open' and about 10% open.
    //

Livin' the dream in Murphy, Tx.