Thread: Oil leak near "big pulley"

My VIN:    10201

Here's a better picture

I actually changed out the oil pressure sensor switch not the sender

My VIN:    10201

The other picture because I lose my responses if I switch to photo bucket

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Front crankshaft seal and a sleeve for the pulley should get you home. If you are not comfortable with installing the sleeve on the pulley yourself we can send you one ready to go as a core swap.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

Yes, if it's leaking oil around the crankshaft pulley, it's a medium sized job as you most likely need to remove the belts and the exhaust for room to work. The new seal is inexpensive so it's mostly labor.

Here's the process:

After removing the parts in the way of the pulley, you probably need to lock the flywheel using a special tool. Then, remove the nut with an impact wrench and a 35mm socket:
    Attachment 47495

After removing the nut and washer, mark the position of the woodruff key on the pulley. Then reinstall the nut just tight enough to rotate the engine to get the key in the 12 o'clock position.otherwise it may fall into the oil pan.
    Attachment 47496

Old leaking seal:
    Attachment 47494

I used a gear puller to remove the pulley without bending/damaging it.
    Attachment 47497

Clean up the area and install the new seal, ensuring it is square/straight in the hole.
    Attachment 47498

Reinstall the pulley to torque spec using loctite.
    Attachment 47499

Good luck with the job!
    That is a great "how to" write up. I am going to replace that seal on my car this winter. Could you tell me what way the nut needs to turn if you want to take it of. Counter clockwise?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Delta DeLorean View Post
    That is a great "how to" write up. I am going to replace that seal on my car this winter. Could you tell me what way the nut needs to turn if you want to take it of. Counter clockwise?
    Thanks! Yes, the nut comes off the normal way, counterclockwise. When you put it back on, it needs to be torqued to 135 ft/lbs.

By the way, here is the special flywheel lock tool (made by member 1Batt4u) that I used for removing and retightening the crankshaft pulley.

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

What is the best way to remove the old leaking seal?

Can i use a breaker bar to remove the nut?

If i cant find the special tool, can i put the car in 1st while it is on the ground? Is that enough to break the bolt loose?

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    What is the best way to remove the old leaking seal?

Can i use a breaker bar to remove the nut?

If i cant find the special tool, can i put the car in 1st while it is on the ground? Is that enough to break the bolt loose?

I did this job on mine several weeks ago. Was more painful than it needed to be just for the one bolt to remove! You can try to leave it in 1st and use a breaker bar but you'll probably put excess strain on the clutch and won't have enough torque to break the bolt. Even with the parking brake on won't really help. I tried on mine but felt the car slightly lurch forward and didn't want to mess up the transmission/clutch so I stopped. I didn't have that special flywheel tool as noted above so I ended up heating mine with a handheld propane torch and then hitting it with an impact gun and it broke loose eventually.

Oh and I didn't replace the "sleeve" either on mine, just the black plastic seal, my main pulley was able to be pulled directly off using just my hands otherwise you'll need a pulley puller. Replaced my seal and put some blue locktite on the threads and tightened it all up and haven't noticed a drop of oil since!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2