FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How I Treat the Leather for storage

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

How I Treat the Leather for storage

I'm still running factory leather skins. For the most part they're in really great shape.

This past season I started using one of those DMC seat towels because: 1. They protect the seat and 2. I find cloth more comfortable in the summer than leather.

I use the Auto Glym products pictured below and I follow the directions on the cleaning bottle but not on the balm bottle.

Use the cleaner as directed - spray on and wipe off, then use another cloth and clean warm water to wipe down the seats again. You can see just how dirty the water is, even after the cleaner was used, and this was WITH a seat towel, 2,500 miles and only one or two passengers all season.

Once that is all dry after a few hours, I rub on lots of the leather balm and I leave it on for a few days, not a few minutes. I wipe it off and then when the rest of the car is ready for hibernation I add another thin coating of the balm and leave it on all winter. The results for me are glove soft factory leather.

On an unrelated note, I also clean my carpets gently with a Bissell carpet cleaner.

These techniques work for me, so they might just work for you.

Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I use the Leatherique line of products and have found them very satisfactory. Keeping the leather clean is the single biggest thing you can do to help it last a long time. Dirt acts like sandpaper when you sit on the seats and grind the leather by moving around. Next is some kind of treatment to keep it moist. Rejuvinator (which is not oil based) works for me. Finally there are products to repair the leather. Crack filler and dye to repair damage.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Any pictures of the finished product, all soft and supple and OEM-like?

And of course it reminds me of

Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Any pictures of the finished product, all soft and supple and OEM-like?

And of course it reminds me of

And with a catchy tune no doubt...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior