I recently learned about one of the flaws in our 5-speed manual gearbox when the secondary shaft nut bored through the rear cover and dumped the gear oil out on the ground.
After taking my first ride of shame back home, I was able to repair it without removing the gearbox, and I'll post my adventure in this thread. But after the repair, I am guessing that the second gear rollpin had been bent or sheared in the event, as I recall it went into second hard when the nut backed off. After the repair, second gear engages normally, but now it sometimes pops out and I have a slight gear grinding noise when I'm not in second gear. I parked the car right away after diagnosing, but now I'll have to take the gearbox out to repair it.
Looking on the bright side, I'll be able to address other things like the rear main seal, the pilot bearing, check/replace the clutch, replace the axle boots and lip seals etc. Again, I'll post my work in this thread.
I have yet to remove the gearbox, but I have some questions for the community in advance :
1) Please share any special considerations/advice on removing the gearbox. I have and will follow the Workshop Manual, have watched the Wheeler Dealer episode, and I know to support the drive axles when removing them.
2) Who carries/ stocks a reinforced second gear rollpin?
3) Are there any other rollpins that I should replace with the reinforced version?
4) Assuming I have damage to the gears for second gear, who has stock?
5) What are your opinions on who carries a good quality rear main seal (with the ribs) pilot bearing, etc.
Thanks a bunch.