Thread: 5 Speed gearbox flaw repair

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Axles

Thanks for the kind words guys!!

Well, I finished the axles..

Before..
    image.jpg

I wet sanded them with 320 grit sandpaper and oxalic acid until the rusty residue was gone, then more wet sanding with mineral spirits. I used a twisting motion around the circumference of the axle to preserve the lathe lines...
    image.jpg

A paint booth made out of a box.. a brilliant idea for painting these heavy rods that I got from Rich_NYS. I taped the ends and cleaned them with isopropyl alcohol before painting.
    image.jpg

2 coats of self etching primer. I just sprayed, turned, and repeated...
    image.jpg

4 coats of epoxy paint...
    image.jpg

All dried and cured..

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

5 Speed gearbox flaw repair

Dana,

If you need a perfectionist goal to shoot for, you're in the right shop. In 2012 Tony brought his personal car to DCS Orlando for Concourses judging. This was the 2nd time he had entered that judging competition. The first Was 2003 at a DMCH open house. I was on the judging team for both events. In 2003 I did the undercarriage portion. While it was an excellent example of a low mile car , it had been driven and was not perfect, but still ended up taking first place due to bonus points given for dealer options. In the year or two leading up to DCS Orlando. He did a full frame off cleaning and restoration for the Orlando Show. He even went above and beyond by bringing in a Stinger 4 post lift so all could see the underside completely. It was jaw dropping flawless. I think he keeps the car in a hermetically sealed room these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 03-11-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Thanks Dennis. That would have been cool to see. I bought my car from Tony in 2013, as a running restoration candidate.. that's what I was looking for. Then I began taking reference pictures of the excellent specimens on the showroom to help me on my journey. I also got a copy of the magazine that his car was featured in, showing pictures of the frame off process. That totally inspired me, and I said to my wife that I was going to take my time and hopefully do the restoration right.

I'm super happy that DMCFL is now in Orlando. I met his team and they are not just employees... that are owners and enthusiasts. I'm totally comfortable having my baby there... and that's a rare thing for me to say!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    4519

I just realized your car is at DMCFL, not DMCNW...I misread "Tony" as "Toby" -lol

CV packing and finishing

Well, I repacked the grease and finished the axles...

Re-greasing started with Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. I applied it using a grease gun with a flexible tip, and a plastic spatula to press the grease down into the bearing race.
    image.jpg

Then more grease and attaching the axle..
    image.jpg

Filling and packing the other side. I wound up using 6 oz per CV...
    image.jpg

I used blue RTV in place of Hylomar to seal the cover, and placed all 6 bolts in the holes to ensure it was oriented correctly before I tapped it into place...
    image.jpg

Putting on the zip ties..
    image.jpg

Both axles finished! I trimmed the inner zip tie and ground the cut metal as it was originally to avoid sharp edges. Plus I installed the new hardware..hex cap socket bolts, lock washers, and locking plates.
    image.jpg

I'm ready for the gearbox....
    Dana

My VIN:    2706

Looks great. Nice work man .

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Looks great. Nice work man .
    Thanks Jimmy!
    Dana

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What! No concourse correct bolts.

J/k , using socket head bolts is smart move IMO. It's much easier to fit an Allen Socket in there than a standard 17 mm socket.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    What! No concourse correct bolts.

J/k , using socket head bolts is smart move IMO. It's much easier to fit an Allen Socket in there than a standard 17 mm socket.

Ha! Yes, this is easier and smarter for now. I'll have the original 24 bolts and clamps replated when I get enough parts to satisfy a minimum order, and save them in case I want to have it judged. I have bagged, tagged and saved every part that I ever replaced, so if concours judging becomes important, I can make it happen. For now, I want a reliable show car.
    Dana

Looks like I'll become very busy with the gearbox soon! Look at that new, clean shop at DMC FL!

IMG_0851.jpg
    Dana

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast