FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 5 Speed gearbox flaw repair

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There is no good way to check bearing preload except the procedure in the Workshop Manual. If it was ever improperly set you could have damaged the carrier (dif) bearings so no amount of adjustment will stop a noise. Make sure you have the proper amount and the correct type of gear oil. The spider gears have no effect unless you are turning or a wheel is spinning faster or slower than the other. Worn bearings is a possibility but unless the box was operated without oil it is a rarity.
    Thanks David. When I remove it again I'll check it using the procedure in the manual.

--------------------

I tested it again this morning to check linkage ( i.e. Does moving the shift selector cause any change in the deceleration noise). It didn't.

However, I focused on 3rd and 4th gears again today, and I really don't hear the same noise in those gears. I think the faint noise I'm hearing is residual noise from whatever gear is messed up, like I'm hearing in neutral. Therefore, I don't suspect the bearing preload or the spider gears anymore.

So, the noise is really focused on 2nd gear. Which makes sense because when the nut-backing-off event happened in November, I tried to get it in gear after stopping at an intersection, I wouldn't go into first, but it went violently into 2nd. That's where the shift selector damage happened, but perhaps something also happened to the 2nd gear assembly. Something internal as the gears looked normal and I didn't take the gears apart, and the 1-2 selector fork appeared straight.

What would be the symptom of the 2nd gear synchro spring (103106) being broken or damaged?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Dana ,

There are Half moon needle bearings between each synchromesh gear and shaft the spin on. Perhaps something migrated in there. Also remember the secondary shaft assembly is submerged in gear oil. Lots of churning going on.

http://store.delorean.com/c-288-4-1-2-gears.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I thought I'd update this thread. I took the transmission out again and split the case. Since I wasn't in any hurry to meet a show deadline, I took my time and did everything that I didn't have time to do in the first round, and to check for the cause of the gear clicking.

First up was double checking for clearance on the 1-2 shift fork roll pins, and ensuring the fork is straight.

image.jpg

Everything checked out.

Next was re-examining the gears for any wear, damage, and to ensure they spin freely. Many thanks to Rob Grady who helped me spot anything away remotely, and especially to Nick R. who physically looked at each component for me.

image.jpg

Again, everything checked out.

Next was setting the differential bearing preload. For this I purchased a used force gauge online. I set it at 1 pound of force, which is very slightly tighter than "free spinning", or just tight, then backing off a little.

image.jpg image.jpg

Later on, I noticed that the nose bearing seemed to move too much axially, so I decided to replace it with an OEM DMC bearing, I also got a Nachi pilot bearing from Rob Grady. Note that these two bearings are different sizes.

image.jpg

Nick helped me remove and replace the nose bearing.... OK, he did the whole thing...
    image.jpg

While I was there, I was fortunate enough to able to buy a bulletproof coupler from him as he had an extra.
    image.jpg
    Thanks again Nick.

I used Rob Grady's idea of a 50/50 mixture of grease and anti-seize in the coupler and on the shaft...
    image.jpg

Installed:
    image.jpg

This part tightened up the slight play in the input shaft and will make the transmission better able to withstand future power upgrades.

To be continued...
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

From your first picture look at the roll pin next to the spring on the shifter rail. It looks bent. Replace it and get a small one to put inside it to beef it up. That is the infamous roll pin that breaks when the clutch doesn't work right and you force shifts.
    David Teitelbaum

From your first picture look at the roll pin next to the spring on the shifter rail. It looks bent. Replace it and get a small one to put inside it to beef it up. That is the infamous roll pin that breaks when the clutch doesn't work right and you force shifts.
    Thanks David. It is the picture angle. Actually those 3 roll pins are brand new. The first two from the left are reinforced with a second smaller pin in the middle. I got these from Rob Grady and I detailed their replacement earlier in the thread. This time I was just double checking my work on clearances.
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Thanks David. It is the picture angle. Actually those 3 roll pins are brand new. The first two from the left are reinforced with a second smaller pin in the middle. I got these from Rob Grady and I detailed their replacement earlier in the thread. This time I was just double checking my work on clearances.
    Ask David how many transmissions he's rebuilt.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Ask David how many transmissions he's rebuilt.
    You'll get some great information on checking your tire pressures, and to consult the workshop manual for the maintenance schedule.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Continued..

This time, I decided to tackle the replacement of the seals in the gear selector. One needs to remove the plug at the top of the cover to tap out the 2 roll pins to disassemble the selector assembly.

image.jpg

All apart. I cleaned the parts and changed the bellows and seal.
    image.jpg

Back together:
    image.jpgimage.jpg

I also opted to have my flywheel and the new Valeo clutch pressure plate balanced by a local Speed Shop. The red mark indicates the optional indexing to ensure that it is installed in the same orientation that the unit was balanced.
    image.jpg

I also took extra time to clean the rear of the engine:

image.jpg

Time to put the transmission back together (again):
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Queued for installation at DMCFL..
    image.jpg

To be concluded....
    Dana

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I only looked at the picture and it looked to me like the pin was bent and I could not tell that you had installed the smaller ones into the larger ones. If, as you say, the pins are not bent, were replaced, and beefed up, you should be good to go. As for how many transmissions have I rebuilt, I do not keep track, it is dozens. Automatic and manual, cars, trucks, construction equipment, motorcycles, and a helicopter. But you do not have to go by my advice if you are in contact with Rob G. Make sure you get the nuts on the ends of the shafts really tight and staked so they can't loosen up. Locktite would also be good.
    David Teitelbaum

I only looked at the picture and it looked to me like the pin was bent and I could not tell that you had installed the smaller ones into the larger ones. If, as you say, the pins are not bent, were replaced, and beefed up, you should be good to go. As for how many transmissions have I rebuilt, I do not keep track, it is dozens. Automatic and manual, cars, trucks, construction equipment, motorcycles, and a helicopter. But you do not have to go by my advice if you are in contact with Rob G. Make sure you get the nuts on the ends of the shafts really tight and staked so they can't loosen up. Locktite would also be good.
    No worries David. It's a long thread..
    Dana

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast