FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Speed gearbox flaw repair

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

The team at DMCFL removed the transmission on Friday..

image.jpg

Today I removed the drive axle flanges, clutch fork, rear cover, and bell housing...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

5 Speed gearbox flaw repair

Why do I have this feeling, that the next photos we see will be of a nearly New looking transmission. Btw, the rubber boot that fits over the clutch fork is available from DMCH. P/N 103151

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 03-18-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Looks like I'll become very busy with the gearbox soon! Look at that new, clean shop at DMC FL!

Attachment 49578
    I think they got the memo that your car is accustomed to an immaculate environment, and would be most cooperative if it was provided with similar accommodations....

Failure Analysis

Thanks guys! I'll try to make the transmission presentable...

Well, I figured out what happened. I remember that when the shaft nut backed off, I tried to shift into 2nd gear, and it went in hard. That's when I knew something was wrong. During that shift, apparently the spring that provides tension on the 2nd gear selector fork failed or jumped the roll pin and got caught up in the gears. This caused the symptoms of 2nd gear popping out, and a clicking/grinding sound. Pieces of the spring were in the selector forks, between the gears, and stuck to the case magnet....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The good news is that the gears are pristine, and the spring (part number 103220) was in stock at the DMC Texas store. What baffles me is while the spring failed, the infamous 2nd gear roll pin was unscathed. Nevertheless, I'll replace it with a reinforced (double) pin.

image.jpg

While I'm waiting on repair/refurbishment parts from DMC and PJ Grady, I removed the 2nd gear selector fork, repaired the slight damage to the shaft, and recovered the pieces of the spring. Props to Stephen Wynn, Rob Grady and their teams for their advice and service. Top Notch!!

image.jpg

I also picked up my flywheel from being resurfaced..

Before
    image.jpg

After, ready for a new clutch..
    image.jpg

I also cleaned the case magnet and the mating surfaces of the case halves. Question: Do you know if the magnet is supposed to be slathered in grease, or was that just 36 years of buildup? I imagine that I have to put some on it to prevent it from falling out when I replace the case half.
    image.jpg

Thanks,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The goo on the magnet is powered metal. Its fairly common to see that to some extent. The magnet is doing it's job by collecting the particles.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Make sure the 5th gear fork is not bent.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The goo on the magnet is powered metal. Its fairly common to see that to some extent. The magnet is doing it's job by collecting the particles.

Thanks Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Make sure the 5th gear fork is not bent.
    Sure, I'll check it. Thanks.
    Dana

(Most) parts arrived!!

Parts arrived to allow me to proceed..

image.jpg

image.jpg

I never was so happy to se a $1.00 part!!

image.jpg
    Dana

Soda Blasting

A gravity fed blasting gun arrived today that I bought from Eastwood, and I tried it on the bell housing. I used medium soda media, and it worked really well.

image.jpg

I also started to replace the seals in the gearbox.
    Dana

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    A gravity fed blasting gun arrived today that I bought from Eastwood, and I tried it on the bell housing. I used medium soda media, and it worked really well.

image.jpg

I also started to replace the seals in the gearbox.
    Nice!! I actually bought the Harbor Freight version of that gun with sand from Lowes and did the same thing. I'm sure it was not as nice as the Eastwood one (ended up having to do some internet recommended modifications; drilling out holes to be larger and such) but it did alright. It's crazy the difference it can make.
    Blasting.jpg
    (this is not the transmission from my car, it was one I bought from a parts car hence the crazy amount of grime)

Are you going to blast the whole casing or just the bellhousing? I primed and painted mine after blasting and now it makes it super easy to keep clean because the cast aluminum isn't as porous.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast