FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Speed gearbox flaw repair

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    DMC probably just copied that illustration right out of the Renault manual not realizing the orientation was wrong. It is obvious DMC did not put a lot of effort into creating technical documentation. If you think the DMC stuff is bad you should see other small manufacturers. Everything is a 2 step process, step 1, remove. Step 2 replace. All of the details are left to the reader's imagination.
    hey just like the navy!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Nice!! I actually bought the Harbor Freight version of that gun with sand from Lowes and did the same thing. I'm sure it was not as nice as the Eastwood one (ended up having to do some internet recommended modifications; drilling out holes to be larger and such) but it did alright. It's crazy the difference it can make.
    Attachment 49754
    (this is not the transmission from my car, it was one I bought from a parts car hence the crazy amount of grime)

Are you going to blast the whole casing or just the bellhousing? I primed and painted mine after blasting and now it makes it super easy to keep clean because the cast aluminum isn't as porous.
    Thanks Nick! Yours looks good! Also, thanks for posting videos of the rebuilding job. It definitely makes tearing down the box easier.

I'm going to blast the whole case, one part at a time. Here are the left case half and the rear cover...

Before:
    image.jpg image.jpg

After:
    image.jpg image.jpg

I also got the last package of parts today including a NOS Renault clutch release fork from PJ Grady. Mine was looking ratty.

image.jpg

Tomorrow I'll put the 1-2 shift rod back together with the new spring and roll pins, etc.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Today, I was able to install the new spring and the reinforced roll pins on the 1-2 shift shaft.

New pins (normal size and smaller one inside), and the old ones on the blue tape...
    image.jpg

Installed..

image.jpg
    The outside pin needed to be level with the height of the spring otherwise it would interfere with the gear below it.

Prepped and painted the input tube..

image.jpg image.jpg

Cleaned the soda off the rear cover...
    image.jpg

Replaced the axle flange seal and transferred the gears to the blasted case half..

image.jpg

Tomorrow I'll blast the last part... the other case half and replace the axle seal, then I can reassemble the gearbox.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    4519

Looking good Dana. That blaster seems to work well, I'm thinking of buying one to use on my fascia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Looking good Dana. That blaster seems to work well, I'm thinking of buying one to use on my fascia.
    Thanks Rich! Yeah, the blaster works pretty well for an all in one unit. You need to have good air supply and they recommend a dryer. I didn't have one, and the media got clogged up from time to time.

Well, after a looonng day yesterday, it's done, and being delivered back to DMC FL tomorrow. I'll post my last day's work very soon....
    Dana

My VIN:    6125

Great thread so far! I've got this one bookmarked for when I pull my transmission. I've been driving with a sheared 2nd gear roll pin since I got my car in '08. One of these days I'll actually fix it.

On Sunday, I started by adjusting the orientation of the inside roll pin so that the strongest portion takes the load...
    image.jpg

Then I soda blasted the right case half...
    image.jpg image.jpg

After I cleaned the case half up really well, I installed the new axle seals..
    image.jpg
    I used a seal puller on the old ones, and a bearing/seal driver set that I borrowed from AutoZone.

To be continued..
    Dana

Continued..

I cleaned the bearing races and case mating surfaces again with Acetone and assembled the gears in the right case with Loctite 609 in the 4 bearing races. Then I immediately checked for free movement of the gears...
    image.jpg

Then it was time for Permatex Anaerobic gasket maker on the case mating surfaces...
    image.jpg

Then, quickly a final wipe of the bearing races in the other case half and Loctite 609. Plus, I put a dab of synthetic grease on the case magnet and placed it ( to prevent it from falling out ). Because it was watery, I moved the 609 up the races with a Q-tip just before mating the halves.
    image.jpg

Next, I ensured the reverse gear was all the way to the right and the shift selectors and gears were in neutral and gently mated the cases. I put 6 bolts in place and checked for gear movement and the reverse gear worked, as the gear tended to slide out of place. Then, I put all bolts in place and torqued from the inside out....
    image.jpg

Next up was the 3 bolts on the the bearing retaining plate and the 5th gear assembly. I used zip ties to keep the assembly in place in the meantime...
    image.jpg

Next was LIBERALLY applying red loctite on the shaft and nut threads, torquing to 112.5 ft/lbs, and peening the flange in the shaft indent...
    image.jpg
    That was the 2nd flaw addressed.
    Dana

Continued..

I cleaned the mating surfaces with Acetone and used Indian Head gasket shellac on both sides of the 2 paper gaskets for the covers. Also in this pic I put the 2 new drive axle flanges on (lubed the rubber seal and the metal contact first)...
    image.jpg

Inserted the input tube and seal, placed the clutch housing, and torqued it...
    image.jpg

Installed the rubber cup/seal, after gradually stretching the hole to fit over the pivot ball..
    image.jpg image.jpg

Mixed up a 50/50 "Grady goop" discussed earlier in the thread and applied it liberally to the pivot ball, socket, and the metal fork spring (to try and prevent corrosion). The fork spring goes in the wider slot in the ball between the seal and the cover..
    image.jpg image.jpg

Finally, I installed the clutch fork bellows, the slave, the throw out bearing, the 5th gear dent ball and plug, painted the speedometer plug, and refreshed the green factory paint marks....
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That was Sunday. This morning, I loaded it up and delivered to DMC FL..
    image.jpg

Car and gearbox reunited..
    image.jpg

..and to think a couple years ago I was hesitant to tackle the fuel accumulator.

Many thanks for everyone's help and advice that made this rebuild happen in 9 days.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 03-28-2017 at 10:08 PM.
    Dana

DMC FL got a lot done today.

New rear main seal and pilot bearing..
    image.jpg

Resurfaced flywheel installed..
    image.jpg

New Valeo clutch and pressure plate..
    image.jpg

Transmission back in the car. Next up is connecting accessories and what had to be removed beforehand..
    image.jpg

I just might make it to the Celebration Exotic car show this year... Fingers crossed!!
    Dana

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast