FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Least used function or feature on our cars?

My VIN:    3937

Least used function or feature on our cars?

So... I was going through some boxes of parts and came across my "used crap" box. I saw an old defrost switch in there that could be made to work again if I can find the patience to put all the little pieces inside it that sprung loose back together. Found a used "full throttle" microswitch as well. It is the one "with the flap" that all cars have, even though my car has two of these microswitches due to it being an automatic.

I've replaced my full throttle microswitches before from getting seized up by dirt and grime or maybe just being tightened too much by way of the little securing screws. I was going to clean up the used one I have in an attempt to get it to work again before buying a replacement for the one without the flap.

Got me thinking about how useless both of these two things are.

Not 100% useless, but pretty close. In terms of how often they get used anyway. I do floor the accelerator once and a while though, so I'd consider my full throttle microswitches as more "useful" than my defrost switch. I can't remember a single time I've used the rear window defroster.

What else on the car would you consider the least used or most useless feature or function?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Lambda light
    lambda.jpg
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    6585

I've used the Defroster Switch a few times. Driving through standing water when it splashes up on the exhaust manifolds will steam up the rear glass immediately. So the Defroster does indeed work, and is needed

Most useless feature? For me it's a tie between the Diagnostic Plug and the Air Valve Inlet.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    Lambda light
    lambda.jpg
    In stock form, agree.

I drive the lambda light now with my wideband error code. It flashes when I first start up the car.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

Lambda light, haha, nice one! The "can you count to 30,000 miles" feature. Assuming you have a functional speedo/odo that is, lol.

The air valve inlet/exhaust manifold stove is another good one... my car had just the duct tucked into the area of the exhaust manifolds but no actual stove bracket anywhere when I got it. A useless feature made more so by being an incomplete useless feature. Cold air inlet (performance) duct made all that go away.

With another automatic transmission fancy feature, the shift interlock button on the early style shifters is useless. For it's intended purpose anyway.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    In stock form, agree.

I drive the lambda light now with my wideband error code. It flashes when I first start up the car.
    Similar; mine is wired up as the Check Engine/Malfunction Indicator light for the engine swap.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

1.) Lambda Light
    2.) Rear Defroster (in fact, DMCH has a supply of non-defrost rear windows that the factory was planning on switching over to. Even they knew the heated rear window was a useless feature)
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've replaced my full throttle microswitches before from getting seized up by dirt and grime or maybe just being tightened too much by way of the little securing screws. I was going to clean up the used one I have in an attempt to get it to work again before buying a replacement for the one without the flap.
    It shouldn't take you too long to get it working again. I used a small jeweller's screwdriver to lever the long plunger out, then blasted the inside with contact cleaner. It's been fine ever since but they seem very sensitive to being overtightened but the fixing screws.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

1. Door buzzer
    2. Chick magnet
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

1. Rheostat
    2. Lambda light
    3. Ignition/Door Buzzer
    4. Toll Booth Window
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast