One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Has the coolant turned into jelly?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4877

Yeah, I did a bit of cleaning when I first got mine..oddly, other than a couple of nasty areas in the rear fascia didn't find much...and only found one penny couple months ago when I was doing my sound deadening...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    2706

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Has the coolant turned into jelly?
    I looked into the bottle and it's empty but at the bottom there are some jelly deposits.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Cool pics! A good cleaning does make a difference!

Three suggestions came to mind as I looked at your pictures:

1) The seat covers look great! I would start applying leather conditioner many times before sitting in them too much. That will replenish moisture and the oils that they need, while avoiding cracks as much as possible.

2) That's a dirty brake master reservoir. You can clean that crud out of it though with carb cleaner, and patience when you rebuild that system. I used a tip (from Mark I think) to put some small washers in there while cleaning. When you agitate the reservoir with the cleaner and washers, the little washers help clean the crud from the nooks and crannies.

3) A relay and fuse box makes a world of difference. Make sure you verify each circuit has clean, solid grounds and is working before installing. You don't want your new equipment to melt as well.

Cheers,
    Dana
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-13-2016 at 07:39 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Dana,

Thanks for the tips. I have already conditioned the seats a few times, and unfortunately the bottoms have a crack in each seat but the tops are nice. I was able to get most of the crud out of the reservoir but still need to go back and rebuild/clean( washers is a good idea). My plan in the relay fuse box area is to literally remove and replace on circuit at a time, luckily it all looks to be intact. It looks like someone bypassed the number 7 fuse but I should be able to figure all that out.

Jimmy

My VIN:    3937

Your car looks to be in great hands now! That cleaning and tidying really does help, doesn't it? Same for tearing into the interior at some point for many owners, as when you pull out the seats and remove the carpeting, you can find a lot of little areas to freshen up. Helps sort things out, functional and smell.

I noticed you had a picture of your jack and the bag it is in. If that is one of the areas that mice called home, and it stinks still because of it, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how reasonably priced a new replacement jack toolbag is. I had my share of mice remnants come with my car when I got it and that bag was something that just didn't want to come clean. For $12, you can't do much better if you elect to just replace it.

https://store.delorean.com/p-9086-toolbag-jack.aspx

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Your car looks to be in great hands now! That cleaning and tidying really does help, doesn't it? Same for tearing into the interior at some point for many owners, as when you pull out the seats and remove the carpeting, you can find a lot of little areas to freshen up. Helps sort things out, functional and smell.

I noticed you had a picture of your jack and the bag it is in. If that is one of the areas that mice called home, and it stinks still because of it, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how reasonably priced a new replacement jack toolbag is. I had my share of mice remnants come with my car when I got it and that bag was something that just didn't want to come clean. For $12, you can't do much better if you elect to just replace it.

https://store.delorean.com/p-9086-toolbag-jack.aspx
    Thanks !

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Dear lord!

You may have to pull the heads to clean out coolant jelly.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10309

That's a great project it looks like mostly remove fluids, flush and go. Don't skimp on the brakes, new master, new brake hoses, rebuild calipers. Don't forget to build up engine oil pressure before starting it up. If I was anywhere near there I would work on it for free. BTW is it too crass to ask how much you paid for it? I doubt it will cost more than a couple thousand dollars to get it on the road safely. Have fun.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast