FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 2706's 20 year nap

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Congrats on the car and the great progress that you are already making! The body, frame and interior look great! Judging by the condition of the seats, it appears like a low mileage car.

5052's brake fluid looked about as nasty after 20+ years. Without a doubt, replace the master cylinder, all four hoses and rebuild the calipers. DeLorean brake hoses seem to develop clogs after long term storage. Furthermore, the crud will likely plug the internal passageway of the front calipers. It may even clog the brake line between the two halves of the rear calipers. In contrast, I have never seen the metal line itself clog. (However, I'm sure it has happened to somebody.) I suspect that the clutch master cylinder is just as bad along with the hose from the supply tank to the master.

I've never seen jelled coolant. 5052's coolant was still liquid, as was the coolant in a DeLorean that I recently looked at that had been sitting since 1986. I wouldn't pull the heads. However, I would recommend draining the cooling system, replacing all the hoses and the thermostat and refilling the system.

The fuel in the tank actually looks better than what I would have expected, as it is still somewhat liquid. 4194's was a brown liquid after 7 years of sitting between 1991 and 1998. 5052's was like road tar after sitting from 1991 to 2014. Be careful with the rags that you use to clean the tank. I don't know if they can spontaneously combust.

These cars seem to get parked for any number of reasons. Often times they get parked due to other demands on the owner's time / health issues. Other cars get parked because of a minor or a major mechanical problem that the owner does not have the motivation or money to fix. Lots of DeLorean's got parked early due to a belief by the owner that a DeLorean with low mileage would appreciate in value with the passage of time. In the case of 4194, after spending a number of months getting it running back in late 1998 to early 1999, I discovered that the car likely got parked because it needed a clutch!

Keep up the great work!
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    2706

Thanks for all the props guys. So far my preliminary guess is that the car got parked for at least electrical...the stock fuze block is badly melted...half of the systems had to not be working when parked. I know the guy had other cars at the time...3 gto's so I am thinking he parked it and never got to it, but who knows. The mileage on the clock is 40,666 and it drove into the barn when it was parked. It seems like the owner took care of it and did not do his own mx as evident by oil change receipts. To answer the gentlemen who asked about price, I will say i got this car for under 10 grand, which I think was a steal for the condition. Still not sure what I am going to do about the turbo setup, I am going to get the car running first and then go from there. One thing for sure is I feel like a little kid every time I see it and am absolutely loving it. This forum is great to! The front left portion of the engine compartment has what appears to be a catch can, maybe crankcase bypass? It says water guard on it as a brand, and there is a digital box mounted under the dash with a red and green light that also says water guard. there is also a terrible 90s alarm system mounted in the lockable storage compartment behind the drivers seat with a pa that is literally just sitting in the engine compartment not mounted....Thats got to go lol.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Congrats and great find! It looks like you'll ready to handle everything 2706 will need. I look forward to more photos as you progress. Enjoy...
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    4529

No recognition for the truck that brought that thing home huh? I see how you are...
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by HaleyJoe36 View Post
    No recognition for the truck that brought that thing home huh? I see how you are...
    Everyone this is my friend Chris lol. Chris has a bad ass dually, and helped me go pick up my car lol. He is appreciated and will be involved with the project hahaha.
    Jimmy

My VIN:    4519

haha....

Wow, what an awesome truck! I wish that mean machine towed my first DeLorean home [instead of trailering along behind my old Durango]....it would've been riding in style!!

P1120034_resized.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Everyone this is my friend Chris lol. Chris has a bad ass dually, and helped me go pick up my car lol. He is appreciated and will be involved with the project hahaha.
    Jimmy
    Check my VIN dude...

I'm stoked to be at your guys' Delorean party. Look forward to learning about these cars. I'm a gear head and primarily a diesel builder myself but when I first pulled the cover off of this car, I instantly fell in love.

Check my VIN dude...

I'm stoked to be at your guys' Delorean party. Look forward to learning about these cars. I'm a gear head and primarily a diesel builder myself but when I first pulled the cover off of this car, I instantly fell in love.
    adoptive parent lol you planning on me dying ...more like approved babysitter lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    haha....

Wow, what an awesome truck! I wish that mean machine towed my first DeLorean home [instead of trailering along behind my old Durango]....it would've been riding in style!!

P1120034_resized.jpg
    I love those wide stripes on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    I love those wide stripes on these cars.
    Agreed.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast