FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need HELP Question with front fascia support installation

My VIN:    2964

Need HELP Question with front fascia support installation

I Need some help with proper installation of the front fascia. I am confused how the support piece goes on.

1. The fiberglass support bracket with metal strip on top of it, as pictured in pic #1, does fascia sit on top of it. Pic #2 is a reference of what I am talking about, fascia and support bracket are off the car.

or

2. Is the metal strip supposed to be in that space, Pics #3. Metal strip inside space, as seen in Pic #4. With metal strip in that space and fiberglass support bracket under as seen in Pic #5?? At first I thought thats how it is supposed to be, but doubting it now. Could be wrong though.

Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    3937

Someone shared this schematic at one point. Does this help?

Front bumper schematic showing rock screen bolts and brackets.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Sorry to say, it doesn't help.

I'll see what DMCH replies with,, or what others who worked on this have to say.

Thank you!

My VIN:    6883, 6146-Acura Powered, Formerly 10310 and 628

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

The metal bracket sits inside the slot of the fascia. It acts as a clamp to hold the top of the fascia to the nose of the car. It has been a while since I installed a fascia, but I remember putting all of the nuts on the bottom, then aligning the fascia properly before tightening them to clamp the fascia in place.
    Tom

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrich View Post
    The metal bracket sits inside the slot of the fascia. It acts as a clamp to hold the top of the fascia to the nose of the car. It has been a while since I installed a fascia, but I remember putting all of the nuts on the bottom, then aligning the fascia properly before tightening them to clamp the fascia in place.
    Tom
    Hi Billy,

Agreed. ^ This is how it works. Here's a couple of marked up pics to illustrate...

The metal strip/ bracket fits in here on the fascia..
    image.jpg
    (Ignore the clamps as I was installing my brow bars in this pic)

Then the fiberglass fascia reinforcement panel (105678 ) is applied..

image.jpg
    (I'm not sure if the metal strip is oriented correctly in the pic but it's curve will tell young its wrong.)

Then you can put the washers and M6 nuts on....
    image.jpg

I found that there was no play between the fiberglass panel and the fascia so I tightened those 13 nuts before installing the fascia on the car. But, as mentioned above, you can align the fiberglass support before tightening those (7?) screws onto the car.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-15-2016 at 08:56 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrich View Post
    Tom
    Yes - still have not seen a good photo posted but the description is correct. Slide the metal strip into the slot on the fascia so that the studs protrude thru the slots. Then attach the fascia to the reinforcement fiberglass strip using washers and nuts.

NOTE - the replacement fiberglass facias now sold have all this molded in one piece, so that the metal strip and the separate fiberglass reinforcement are no longer used at all.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thank you for the reply guys! I guess I will have to open up those spaces on the bumper so the metal bracket studs can fit properly in there. Weird how it was in there before I had removed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Yes - still have not seen a good photo posted but the description is correct. Slide the metal strip into the slot on the fascia so that the studs protrude thru the slots. Then attach the fascia to the reinforcement fiberglass strip using washers and nuts.

NOTE - the replacement fiberglass facias now sold have all this molded in one piece, so that the metal strip and the separate fiberglass reinforcement are no longer used at all.
    Sorry Dave, I didn't take a picture with the metal strip in the slot during that phase of my project.

As I reviewed Billy's pictures again this one is almost right, correct? The metal strip just needs to be moved over and down snug in the slot.

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Thank you for the reply guys! I guess I will have to open up those spaces on the bumper so the metal bracket studs can fit properly in there. Weird how it was in there before I had removed everything.
    I wouldn't cut the fascia just yet. I remember having to finagle the strip in there starting at one end and working my way down to the other end.

Also, make sure the strip doesn't have to be to rotated the othe way to make the studs line up. The curve in it should make it obvious.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-15-2016 at 10:35 PM.
    Dana

My VIN:    4519

Is the strip original equipment? I had my front fascia apart a few years ago but don't recall what [I think] I'm seeing here....plus, some of the pics are a bit confusing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast