FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Coyote Vs. Ls Swap Why hasnt someone done it?

My VIN:    2706

Coyote Vs. Ls Swap Why hasnt someone done it?

Just curious,

why has no one done a coyote swap yet? Its only about an 1.5" wider on each side...dimensions are similar. I feel like its possible, just surprised no one has tried to do it. Am I missing something here ? I think that the LS swaps are pretty cool that a few of the guys on here have been able to do, just think its weird no one has tried the coyote It's a bad ass motor. I myself did an ls swap in my 70 chevy truck, its a very modular motor, LS Swap possibilities are virtually endless.
    coytoe.jpgls.jpg .
    Last edited by powerline84; 12-16-2016 at 01:21 AM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Just curious,

why has no one done a coyote swap yet? Its only about an 1.5" wider on each side...dimensions are similar. I feel like its possible, just surprised no one has tried to do it. Am I missing something here ? I think that the LS swaps are pretty cool that a few of the guys on here have been able to do, just think its weird no one has tried the coyote It's a bad ass motor. I myself did an ls swap in my 70 chevy truck, its a very modular motor, LS Swap possibilities are virtually endless.
    coytoe.jpgls.jpg .
    You pretty much answered your own question. I dont think there is any other modern engine that comes even remotely close to having the same aftermarket and community support as the LS engines.

Also, the difference is a lot more than 1.5" in terms of width. The LS is so compact because it's a cam in block pushrod engine, and the width is just under 25" head to head. Coyote engines are dual overhead cam engines meaning the heads are massive by comparison. As a result, the head to head distance is just under 30". Believe me, when you're cramming an oversized engine into the engine bay of a smaller vehicle (like the DeLorean), every inch matters. I used block hugging headers to stay clear of the frame, and I know others made their own headers so they'd have clearance. I can't imagine loosing a couple more inches on each side of the engine and still trying to get it to fit.

EDIT: also that picture of the C5 LS1 engine is very misleading. Several of the accessories are at a lot wider distances than is necessary. It gets a lot more compact when you delete the power steering, and use the accessory offsets from the different vehicle platforms. For instance, the camaro platform tucks the alternator under the block on the right side.

Heres a photo from a while back when I had my rear bumper off to change the AC compressor bearing. You can see that the alternator down low and the power steering removed, the engine is very compact.
    Fascia and Bumper Removed.jpg
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 12-16-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    You pretty much answered your own question. I dont think there is any other modern engine that comes even remotely close to having the same aftermarket and community support as the LS engines.

Also, the difference is a lot more than 1.5" in terms of width. The LS is so compact because it's a cam in block pushrod engine, and the width is just under 25" head to head. Coyote engines are dual overhead cam engines meaning the heads are massive by comparison. As a result, the head to head distance is just under 30". Believe me, when you're cramming an oversized engine into the engine bay of a smaller vehicle (like the DeLorean), every inch matters. I used block hugging headers to stay clear of the frame, and I know others made their own headers so they'd have clearance. I can't imagine loosing a couple more inches on each side of the engine and still trying to get it to fit.

EDIT: also that picture of the C5 LS1 engine is very misleading. Several of the accessories are at a lot wider distances than is necessary. It gets a lot more compact when you delete the power steering, and use the accessory offsets from the different vehicle platforms. For instance, the camaro platform tucks the alternator under the block on the right side.

Heres a photo from a while back when I had my rear bumper off to change the AC compressor bearing. You can see that the alternator down low and the power steering removed, the engine is very compact.
    Fascia and Bumper Removed.jpg
    Yeah I figured all of the above lol I the LS in your car looks sick man...good job .

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

If you think it is possible, then go for it. Blaze the trail.

But I can say with great certainly it won't come even close to fitting.

Not to mention the cost of a coyote long block with all the wiring is in a whole different league than the LS. Budget at least 15k for a coyote swap.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If you think it is possible, then go for it. Blaze the trail.

But I can say with great certainly it won't come even close to fitting.

Not to mention the cost of a coyote long block with all the wiring is in a whole different league than the LS. Budget at least 15k for a coyote swap.
    no thanks lol I was just curious

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

I measured the one we put in our maverick when I started to think about swapping something into a delorean...I quickly said f that lol

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    I measured the one we put in our maverick when I started to think about swapping something into a delorean...I quickly said f that lol
    An engine swap is about a whole lot more than "Will it fit". For starters you will be adding weight behind the rear wheels. Not a great way to begin, it increases the polar moment and you are already at the limit of what the rear suspension can handle. You are adding to the weight bias on the rear of the car and increasing the weight over the rear suspension. That's just for starters. Every system related to the motor will have to be modified or outright replaced. You have to figure out how you are going to mate the motor to the transaxle. Usually takes a custom housing and all the machining that entails. The transaxle input shaft has to be upgraded to a single piece (if you keep the Renault box). I could go on but consider any engine swap a BIG project. If you don't have the persistence and money don't do it. A bolt-in swap could possibly be a Lotus 4 cyl or 8 cyl motor but it won't be easy or cheap. Only know of 1.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Indeed, but fitting in the hole is a good start lol, that's one of the reasons I'm using a turbo 4clyinder
    I would how ever question if A coyote actually weights more then a dressed prv. I know ours weights less then the original 302 in the maverick. Delorean engine dressed isn't light

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    Indeed, but fitting in the hole is a good start lol, that's one of the reasons I'm using a turbo 4clyinder
    I would how ever question if A coyote actually weights more then a dressed prv. I know ours weights less then the original 302 in the maverick. Delorean engine dressed isn't light
    PRV: 343.9 lbs. (with air filter, flywheel, water pump, alternator, fluid drive type cooling fan, starter motor and oil, but without engine mounts and brackets)
    Coyote: 444 lbs. (without accessories)
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry