FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Smoking Vents - Blower Motor Wiring?

Hi everyone.
    Today, after a long trip, I've discovered that the smell and smoke only occurs when the motor is in position 1. No sign of it when in positions 2, 3 or 4. Weird...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by madstudios View Post
    Hi everyone.
    Today, after a long trip, I've discovered that the smell and smoke only occurs when the motor is in position 1. No sign of it when in positions 2, 3 or 4. Weird...

Probably something is just burning off the resistor. Do you know if that resistor is new? Other possible cause is the fan speed switch has a bad connection (could be inside the switch) on that speed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Probably something is just burning off the resistor. Do you know if that resistor is new? Other possible cause is the fan speed switch has a bad connection (could be inside the switch) on that speed.
    The resistor is not new, but it's clean.
    But I'll check the fan speed switch!
    Thanks

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

The resistor is not new, but it's clean.
    But I'll check the fan speed switch!
    Thanks

I'd bet my money on that speed resistor. The wires may be clean, but the terminals are rusty. I had this happen on my Chrysler minivan. Smelled burning as well. The corrosion works its way between the wire and the lug it is crimped to. Eventually it starts arcing and then they burn to the point where they no longer make contact. In my van eventually the speeds all died out and it would only work on high (no resistors). It was cheap enough to replace.... though I don't know what a DeLorean one will cost! I won't say your D will catch fire, but I do believe you should replace that resistor. I'm 95% certain it is your burning smell.

Good luck!
    Josh
    "If you're going to spend your inheritance on a car, why not do it with some style!"

Quote Originally Posted by Josh S View Post
    I'd bet my money on that speed resistor. The wires may be clean, but the terminals are rusty. I had this happen on my Chrysler minivan. Smelled burning as well. The corrosion works its way between the wire and the lug it is crimped to. Eventually it starts arcing and then they burn to the point where they no longer make contact. In my van eventually the speeds all died out and it would only work on high (no resistors). It was cheap enough to replace.... though I don't know what a DeLorean one will cost! I won't say your D will catch fire, but I do believe you should replace that resistor. I'm 95% certain it is your burning smell.

Good luck!
    Josh
    It makes perfect sense, Josh!
    The resistor costs about 13 bucks, and I'll definitely buy a new one.
    Thanks!

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It makes perfect sense, Josh!
    The resistor costs about 13 bucks, and I'll definitely buy a new one.
    Thanks!

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772
    You could try cleaning it with some steel wool or sandpaper. After that what is left should burn off quickly.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You could try cleaning it with some steel wool or sandpaper. After that what is left should burn off quickly.
    I do not recommend using steel wool or sandpaper for cleaning, as they can damage surfaces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2