FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Brake lights are dim after installing new LED tail light kit

My VIN:    10722

Brake lights are dim after installing new LED tail light kit

Santa came early and I got new DMC LED tail light circuit boards and LED lights: http://store.delorean.com/popup.aspx...e/k101488a.jpg

Old boards and incandescent bulbs worked fine.
    Changed boards, lights and flasher, then noticed brake lights were on, but dim.
    Checked brake light switch - works fine.
    Checked volts at plug for green/purple brake wiring - 6 volts, which explains dim brake lights, then full 12 volts when brake pedal is depressed.
    Unplugged new boards, plugged in old boards and brake lights do not come on.
    Only way to turn off dim brake lights is disconnect the battery.

I have shown that 6 volts is not enough juice to light the old incandescent lights, but is sufficient to light up the new LED bulbs (albeit dim).

What the heck is going on here? Where is the constant 6 volts coming from?

Thanks,
    Andy

My VIN:    03572

LEDs can glow with just a few micro-amps of current. Do you have a cruse control installed? Maybe some other added units that wired into the brake light circuit.

First, verify unplugging the switch the 6 volts goes away (switch is dirty inside) or does not change (some other problem).

You can measure current and if it's just a few micro amps then leave it as is or add a resistor on one brake light. Depending how much current, probably 10 Kohms would drop that 6 volts below the LED threshold.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10722

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    LEDs can glow with just a few micro-amps of current. Do you have a cruse control installed?
    I was afraid it might have something to do with my cruise control, installed by original owner in 1983. I'll check out the switch and cruise control, then think about splicing in a resistor.

Thanks Dave!

Andy