FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the coldest temp you've driven in?

My VIN:    4115

What's the coldest temp you've driven in?

Seasons Greetings, all. I keep #4115 in a climate controlled garage for winter storage, but I bring it out once every 2-3 weeks to drive around the storage facility roadways. They don't use any salt or melting chemicals, so it's just water that the car gets driven in. We had a cold snap a couple of weeks ago, and the temp at my garage when I brought the car out for its exercise was -25F. The car seemed unfazed by this. I drove it around for about 30 minutes, put 10 miles on the odo. The coolant got to full temp, but the heater never blew out more than tepid air. Interestingly, the car never tried to do its normal idle hunt, just settled right down. Also, the voltage gauge never showed it's normal voltage drop at idle; I guess the alternator really likes cold air.

So my coldest air temp is -25F. What's the coldest outside air temp that you've driven your DeLorean in?

20161218_074155.jpg20161218_074210.jpg20161218_074233.jpg20161218_081209.jpg20161218_091147.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

At -25 I don't even get out of bed to pee.

Coldest temp I've driven in? 8F degrees, I think.

But you didn't specify DeLorean. In my Delorean, I think 22 degrees was the coldest, but hey, I live in Texas. No way I'm gonna beat -25.

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

"The coolant got to full temp, but the heater never blew out more than tepid air." That's a common problem with a normally simple fix. Almost every Delorean that enters the shop for the first time has a loose foam seal at the heater core pipes where they exit the HVAC box. Bond that back on and you instantly eliminate the cold air diverted to your feet and add a measurable volume of heated air through the vents. We try to reseal every one that comes through the doors.
    Here's to a warm and toasty holiday to all!
    Rob

Interesting gauges and graphics btw.
    Last edited by PJ Grady Inc.; 12-24-2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Just because the pics were frigidly cool!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    "The coolant got to full temp, but the heater never blew out more than tepid air." That's a common problem with a normally simple fix. Almost every Delorean that enters the shop for the first time has a loose foam seal at the heater core pipes where they exit the HVAC box. Bond that back on and you instantly eliminate the cold air diverted to your feet and add a measurable volume of heated air through the vents. We try to reseal every one that comes through the doors.
    Rob

Another big hole to plug is under the dash on the driver's side. The foam that the factory stuck in there degrades and comes loose. The coldest I have ever driven in was 0 degrees F but not in a Delorean. In an airplane about -5 F and in the Delorean about 15 F. Once the motor gets up to operating temperature it runs great but be aware the tires can never get sticky like they can when it is warmer so you can loose traction easier unless you have special winter compounded tires on the car. Also you can lose about 1 psi for every 10 degrees F so check your tire pressures or you can roll the bead off of the rim.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0726

HEY I KNOW THAT PLACE

CHASKA or CHAHASSAN Motorplex?

been there plenty of cars and coffees
    VIN 0726

My VIN:    4115

Quote Originally Posted by ILM1010 View Post
    HEY I KNOW THAT PLACE

CHASKA or CHAHASSAN Motorplex?

been there plenty of cars and coffees
    That's the place. Bring your ride when Cars & Coffee starts up again in the Spring.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Rob

Rob: How do you recommend resealing the HVAC box? Is it possible to reseal the pipes without removing the assembly?

Thanks,

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

cold?

Went to the last DCS at Palace Station in Vegas,
    ran into a blizzard at Loveland pas CO. and 110 degrees
    at the show. What a contrast.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Rob: How do you recommend resealing the HVAC box? Is it possible to reseal the pipes without removing the assembly?

Thanks,

Andrew
    Here's the procedure. Turn the A/C mode switch onto the heater position and the fan on high. From the driver side put your hand above the heater vent that lays on the deck by the bulkhead and above the accelerator pedal. Now follow the cooler air from above to the back of the hvac box till you can feel the foam seal and the opening in the box and the unheated air blowing past the heater core pipes. Probe around until you know the size of the seal and opening. Turn off the fan and use a brush-top can of rubber contact adhesive to coat the opening area (Wurth and Winzer make a great product for this and all the rubber seals on the car) and the corresponding sealing areas on the foam. Remember you are doing this blind so expect to get some glue on your hands if not wearing a disposable glove. The whole operation should only take 10 minutes and makes a big difference in all modes as to the vent output and makes the car much less drafty in the winter. It also helps with the A/C vent output in the summer. Every car left the factory with a poor seal in this area. If you haven't fixed it yet now is the time.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast