FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiator replacement

My VIN:    6989

Cool Radiator replacement

For those who have to do a radiator replacement, what other parts do you recommend having for a complete replacement (aside from the radiator itself obviously)? I ask because sometime down the road, I'll have to do one.
    Thanks in advance!

-Chris

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxn83 View Post
    For those who have to do a radiator replacement, what other parts do you recommend having for a complete replacement (aside from the radiator itself obviously)? I ask because sometime down the road, I'll have to do one.
    Thanks in advance!

-Chris
    Hoses and coolant. Also make sure the condenser coil is clean and if the A/C isn't working, the seals and A/C hoses. You may also need a lot of small nuts, bolts, and washers if you wind up breaking them, taking things apart. Inspect the fan motors and blades.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6989

Thank you so much!

My VIN:    6125

You may also want to look at upgraded fans if you haven't already. Having the radiator pulled is a perfect time to swap fans since you're already going to be pulling the shroud and have access. I wish I had done it when I replaced my radiator a few years ago. I'm looking at doing replacement fans next year and not looking forward to having to pull the radiator again.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    You may also want to look at upgraded fans if you haven't already. Having the radiator pulled is a perfect time to swap fans since you're already going to be pulling the shroud and have access. I wish I had done it when I replaced my radiator a few years ago. I'm looking at doing replacement fans next year and not looking forward to having to pull the radiator again.
    +1

OEM fans will end up drawing 15 amps each or more as they age. Then you will get melted fan fail jumpers and risk overheating the engine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10309

No doubt replacing fans with more modern efficient ones is a must do. The next pressing question is what mixture of coolant, orange or green will you use?

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Personally I believe most "upgraded" high efficiency fans are actually a step backwards when it comes to absolute cooling capability. They do not have the same cfm airflow as the stock fans do. On hot days when ambient temps exceed 90 degrees you can expect the "high efficiency fan" equipped Delorean to have A/C outlet temperatures about 10 degrees hotter than a stock car. Although they do decrease the load on the electrical system they do so at a cost due to the decreased airflow. My favorite setup is still the stock fans paired with a Fanzilla relay module and a three row brass or aluminum radiator. That provides superior cooling capability along with smooth power delivery and colder A/C temps.
    Rob

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Lol
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Lol
    Prove me wrong Josh and you can laugh till you're blue in the face! I've tried your fans. They are not as strong as stock fans.
    Rob

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Personally I believe most "upgraded" high efficiency fans are actually a step backwards when it comes to absolute cooling capability. They do not have the same cfm airflow as the stock fans do. On hot days when ambient temps exceed 90 degrees you can expect the "high efficiency fan" equipped Delorean to have A/C outlet temperatures about 10 degrees hotter than a stock car. Although they do decrease the load on the electrical system they do so at a cost due to the decreased airflow. My favorite setup is still the stock fans paired with a Fanzilla relay module and a three row brass or aluminum radiator. That provides superior cooling capability along with smooth power delivery and colder A/C temps.
    Rob
    Yeah, I had good luck refurbishing my stock fans when I restored my cooling system (they were not all rusted out or had high miles). Together with an aluminum DMCH radiator they keep my car cool in the Florida heat. This summer, it got as high as 108 degrees, and the car ran cool. I'm running the fan jumpers but I plan to upgrade to a fan fail module for extra peace of mind.

The Delorean World Tour guys swore by stock fans. They ran them all the way around the world and said that was because of their cfm efficiency and that you can take them apart and repair them if necessary.

I'm running Prestone 50/50 green coolant.

image.jpg
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-27-2016 at 08:27 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast