FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Side View Mirror is limp.....suggestions?

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Side View Mirror is limp.....suggestions?

My side view mirror ( driver side ) doesn't want to stay in place. Is this repairable, or do I need to replace the whole assembly?

It moves freely between the "folded in" and "not folded" positions. I can also lift is up a little bit as I move it around - it feels like something that is supposed to be holding it isn't.

Thanks for any advice!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    My side view mirror ( driver side ) doesn't want to stay in place. Is this repairable, or do I need to replace the whole assembly?

It moves freely between the "folded in" and "not folded" positions. I can also lift is up a little bit as I move it around - it feels like something that is supposed to be holding it isn't.

Thanks for any advice!
    Under the pivot, there is a stack of spring washers and a metal clip. The clip has rusted away. To replace it you need to take the mirror off the car and unthread the wire so that you can put a new clip on the metal shaft. (Actually you can do this on the car but it's pretty unpleasant and you still have to unthread the wiring, 3 more screws and you are working on your workbench instead of on the car working upside down).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Under the pivot, there is a stack of spring washers and a metal clip. The clip has rusted away. To replace it you need to take the mirror off the car and unthread the wire so that you can put a new clip on the metal shaft. (Actually you can do this on the car but it's pretty unpleasant and you still have to unthread the wiring, 3 more screws and you are working on your workbench instead of on the car working upside down).
    Thanks Dave! That's very helpful. I'll be sure to post some pictures once I get started.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Treat that wire from the mirror very tenderly. Be careful of all of the sharp edges of metal inside the doors. You might want to inspect and/or replace the clip in the other mirror too.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Nullset,

You may want to read through this recent thread also.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...854#post208854

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I got the mirror off - that was easy.

Any recommendations on how to remove the cover without damaging it?

It looks like that ring clip that is stock has been replaced by a snap ring. The snap ring failed and that's why my mirror is limp.

Now to find a replacement.......

My VIN:    5180

Call Rob Grady, he has the OE clip or order a few from the eBay link in the other thread I posted earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.