Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    4365

Some Progress Yesterday

I managed to get some time with it yesterday. I took the plunge and mucked out the gas tank. There wasn't as much crap in there as I thought. I managed to get all of the crap out of the tank without getting much on myself.

The fuel pump boot was not quite covering the hole anymore. Thankfully, it doesn't look like much moisture got into the tank itself. Pulling out the fuel pump was kind of a challenge. I made the mistake of pulling it out before disconnecting the lines. The rubber lining was not much like rubber anymore, it was quite nasty. I'll have to decide if I want to just replace the fuel lines or see if I can get these clean. Based on how the outer rubber coating on the fuel line just flaked off, I might have to just replace them. That will be a project for another day!

I'll have to upload some pics of the components I pulled out later, for now, I've got an action shot of me arm deep into the tank.
    IMG_20170520_153139054.jpgIMG_20170520_145608973.jpgIMG_20170502_202105346.jpgIMG_20170502_202059697.jpg

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
    I managed to get some time with it yesterday. I took the plunge and mucked out the gas tank. There wasn't as much crap in there as I thought. I managed to get all of the crap out of the tank without getting much on myself.

I've got an action shot of me arm deep into the tank.
    Hmm... Delorean Action figures.... curled up under the dash, arms inside the fuel tank, holding a light trying to find that nut in the valley of death, scratching head (wondering wtf the po was thinking by putting a fish tank filter in there).....hehe

Nice that you didnt have a ton of gunk in there.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
    I'll have to upload some pics of the components I pulled out later, for now, I've got an action shot of me arm deep into the tank.
    IMG_20170520_153139054.jpgIMG_20170520_145608973.jpgIMG_20170502_202105346.jpgIMG_20170502_202059697.jpg
    Looking at the pictures you posted, I got to thinking; Can you imagine how miserable it would have been working on DeLorean fuel problems if the engineers had not seen fit to put that access panel right there?

Sheesh!

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Where has the summer gone! Life keeps getting in the way and I can't seem to get time to work on my car!

Today I finally got some time to do some work. The fuel tank is now cleaned out and looking good. Today I wanted to flush the fuel lines. I followed the recommendation from a post in the how to section and connected the supply and return lines in the engine compartment. After a few trips to the store to get the right hoses connected, a new utility fuel pump, fresh gas, etc, I was finally able to start flushing the lines.

Unfortunately, it appears there is something plugging the line. I couldn't get anything through. I tried to remove the fuel filter to see if that was the issue, but that is currently not disconnecting from the hard fuel line. I've got penetrating oil working on it now.

I also found out today the oil drain plug is missing. Must have gotten misplaced in my dad's garage somewhere. That would explain why the ATF I've dumped into the cylinders has now managed to leak out on to the garage floor! [Add a drain plug to the order list.]

Needless to say, today wasn't all that productive, but I got a chance to spend some time in the garage!

Next step is to order the list of supplies for the fuel system, including all fuel lines for the engine compartment. At 35 years old, it's good to get them replaced. So I guess I'll flush the hard fuel lines one section at a time.

Had a few hours to work on it today. Managed to get the fuel filter out without wrecking the hard line. It took some hits with a hammer to get the line out of the fitting. Didn't have enough time to try to clean them out save that for another day.

Pulled off the wheels for the first time. Plenty of rust on the brake components. I'll have to invest some time to go through the brakes before I'll consider it road worthy. The hard brake lines look good. The rubber lines will need replacement for sure. I was actually surprised I was able to move the parking brake mechanism on the rears. I didn't try the cables, I'm sure those are rusted up and will need replacement.

That's all for today. I'll have to get some pics to share.

Sounds like youre getting in there and finding all the niggly things to fix.

I'll be having all my mechanical and brakes inspected up at DMCNW, since they'll know more about what will need replaced.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Sounds like youre getting in there and finding all the niggly things to fix.

I'll be having all my mechanical and brakes inspected up at DMCNW, since they'll know more about what will need replaced.
    As far as breaks are concerned it should be easy to figure out what needs to be replaced: just about everything!

Yep, finding all kinds of fun things to R&R. Today I tried to pump through without removing the accumulator. That didn't happen. I'll need to get that out of there. From everything I've read, it sounds pretty high on the swear meter. I'll need some extra patience for that....

Good luck with that...I've only read vageu descriptions of where its at...sounds like a chore...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Fuel System Progress

So I managed to get the fuel hard lines all cleaned out, and spent some time getting the fuel accumulator, fuel pump, and fuel filter put back in.

Wow! I thought getting the accumulator in was going to be hard, I really didn't think the filter was going to be that bad. Boy was I wrong. I figured the filter would be easy because its mostly accessible. I think I put that thing in so many times and got it wrong just as many! I think it took me about 90 minutes just to get it installed. For an item that needs replacement, I wouldn't have thought it to be so difficult!

Installing the accumulator, that is just difficult because there isn't good access. I can understand that one. I don't remember how many hours it took, but it makes sense. The fuel return line I never got the flared end to disconnect. I managed to get the nut removed, but not the brass flare. I ended up connecting the new hose to brass and tightened it down. I figure if it wants to stay there that bad, it can continue to seal! So new hoses and a new accumulator all back in place. Glad to have that done (hopefully everything is tight enough to be sealed! No fuel in the tank yet, so I'll have to test another day.

Next is to pull off the distributor and replace all the fuel lines in the engine compartment. Test out the distributor...

Fuel filter removed:
    IMG_20170826_132055938.jpg

Accumulator removed, note return line:
    IMG_20170826_132040438.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast