FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dmc vs Volvo engine

Dmc vs Volvo engine

Hi!

The euro spec Volvo engine of the era is rated at 156 or 160 horsepower (sources vary).

What exactly is different?

Cams? Exhaust? CR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Mostly exhaust system. Cam profiles between 3/f variations are nominal on power gain. Timing and fuel tweaks along with exhaust rework makes up the difference.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The exhaust system on a stock Delorean PRV is awful from a design standpoint. By improving the exhaust system you can make the engine breath a LOT better gaining a good amount of HP before you do any cam work or modifying the induction system. You have one bank of cylinders feeding into the other before both go through the one convertor and muffler. The advance curve for the distributor was never optimized for the Delorean. In fact there is no difference between the auto and the 5-speed! There is a lot of potential there too if you can tweak it. Once you get that done and the motor breathing better with "hotter" cams, some tweaks to the fuel system will provide even more power. This is pretty much the path DMC took with what they call the Stage I and Stage II. From all of the claimed improvement just from the exhaust is some measure of how bad the OEM design really is! Other "Hot Rodder" techniques can also help to improve things a little like porting and polishing the heads, gasket matching, balancing the CC's of each cylinder, blue-printing and balancing, etc. Next step is going full EFI to fine tune things for optimal power and finally positive induction (turbos) with forged pistons. Now your power is up to where you must upgrade the transmission to a single piece input shaft. Each step on this path is expensive but each one leads to the next one in a logical order without "wasting" any parts during subsequent upgrades.

Speed costs money, "How fast do you want to go"!
    David Teitelbaum

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Hi!

The euro spec Volvo engine of the era is rated at 156 or 160 horsepower (sources vary).

What exactly is different?

Cams? Exhaust? CR?
    The B28E variant of the PRV as fitted in the european Volvos use higher compression pistons, different model ignition distributor (and different timing), different fuel distributor with larger venturi and different CPR (there is no Lambda system on the european Volvos).
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

I just got one of those Volvo engines for literally free. Haven't had the opportunity to get a proper look at it yet, but hopefully there are parts on it that can be used to my benefit.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The exhaust ports suck, at least on the B280F!
    -----Dan B.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

It's my understanding that just eliminating the stock cat with a straight pipe (available...may not be legal in your area) helps the most. Not sure of the exact gains though.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    I just got one of those Volvo engines for literally free. Haven't had the opportunity to get a proper look at it yet, but hopefully there are parts on it that can be used to my benefit.

Wow! Great find! How / where did you score that engine? I'm guessing that you're on the other side of the pond?

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    It's my understanding that just eliminating the stock cat with a straight pipe (available...may not be legal in your area) helps the most. Not sure of the exact gains though.
    The cat and the stock muffler provide a lot of restriction. Thus, speaking hypothetically of course, replacing the cat with a test pipe and a less restrictive muffler will provide a nice improvement in performance.

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Wow! Great find! How / where did you score that engine? I'm guessing that you're on the other side of the pond?

Andrew
    Correct, old Volvos are plentiful. The engine is in an unknown condition, has been sitting for many years, but came with everything except the distributor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast