FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sports Car Market magazine puts a Sell recomm. on the DMC-12

My VIN:    10353

I'd agree with the "Gen X & Gen Y/millennials not being as car-centric and not caring about the hobby" statement as being false. Being born in the same year as my newly purchased DeLorean is pretty awesome! And by the number of people my age I see pulling out their cell phones to take a picture of my car while I'm out driving would also prove that some of us still care!

Of course, I will say that I was just at the San Diego International Auto Show yesterday and was pretty unimpressed. I think just the sheer number of new car models being produced every year makes it hard these days to really be "car-centric".

Regardless, hopefully the magazine is wrong though since I just bought mine two months ago!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If the whole gen x thing is true about DeLoreans then those who grew up with the muscle cars are all but dead, yet you don't see those values going anywhere but up. Someone is buying them and it's not all +70yr olds with money.
    I have a gut feeling the Delorean value are only going up (barring economic disaster) especially considering the uniqueness of the car and there wasn't a whole lot else from that time period worth collecting.
    Last edited by Michael; 01-03-2017 at 02:38 PM.

My VIN:    4519

This thread inspired me to revisit my "related topic posts" from pre-October 2015, where there was much discussion about DeLorean price trends. It's fun to go back & see what we were saying just a year or two ago, here's one of mine:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post172153

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If the whole gen x thing is true about DeLoreans then those who grew up with the muscle cars are all but dead, yet you don't see those values going anywhere but up. Someone is buying them and it's not all +70yr olds with money.
    I have a gut feeling the Delorean value are only going up (barring economic disaster) especially considering the uniqueness of the car and there wasn't a whole lot else from that time period worth collecting.
    What people consider to be the year rage for each generation always varies. But a commonly cited range for Baby Boomers is people born between 1946 and 1964, and the largest swath of birth rates are between '46 and around '57 or so. Couple that with the average life expectancy in the U.S. of 76 years for males, and we've really only got about another 10 years before the mortality rates result in a massive plummeting of that population. It'll be another 20 before the majority of boomers will have passed away. So I'm sure that we'll still see the prices continue to climb for about another 30 or so, but not at the exponential rate they have been going. Then they'll level off as the nostalgic buyers are gone and it's only investors left. Those will be the ones who simply stabilize prices, but may not actually be as passionate about the cars as those from days gone by.

Same thing will happen with the DeLorean as well, no doubt. Both in terms of increasing value and then the eventual plateau. But the thing also is to consider that cars like the DeLorean will come up on the scene and start to take away from the value of the old muscle cars by siphoning off buyers of the older classics. It's easy to be dismissive of cars from the 80's and 90's to say that there are no good classics available, but that's now and not later. Just as car people will always exist and have a passion for cars, so will they try and get in where they fit in. People will create classics through demand. THAT is how classics are created. Just look at the Buick Grand National and the old hand-built Porsches; They were pretty cheap, but then as people discovered them the prices just shot up. The next up and comers I see on the horizon for a buying frenzy will be Fox Bodies, F-Bodies, and C4 Vettes. All of which have been lamented in the past and had their desirability and prices driven down. But low prices means cheap entry into the car hobby. It'll be those cheap cars that people will flock to since they're all priced out of the old classics, and create new classics out of the cheap cars.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    *snip* The next up and comers I see on the horizon for a buying frenzy will be Fox Bodies, F-Bodies, and C4 Vettes.*snip*
    My DeLorean has a winter storage buddy this year :-)

Nothing witty here lest it offend

The beginning of "The 80s" CNN series on Netflix, the recent AT&T commercial... we are starting to get some serious love. Before there were only isolated examples of higher values, now we at least see some solid examples of popular thought that the cars are undervalued.

Bernstein was chief among those who used to call upon the community to "stop putting the car down" as though that was a chief driver of value. People still recount the Delorean's weaker points, but in my opinion, general badmouthing was not and is not the reason they have been relatively cheap. The reason was very good supply of low cost examples. Always look to the cost and availability of a car in terrible condition to see where the general trend is going. It is undeniable that the prices of these project/parts cars are up, up, up domestic and abroad.

I also think the age demographic is overstated. It doesn't matter so much what age group the buyer comes from, just that the group the buyer comes from is relatively affluent. That trend has been on the downward slope until the past few years.

So when a car comes for sale on this site and others, there will always be that small group of people nitpicking this and that. Those people can opine from the sidelines but the car will sell for a good price anyway. As long as the economy holds together, all indications are that in 2017 we've crossed the rubicon on lower valuations.
    Last edited by SamHill; 01-04-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

After watching a tv show recently I need to modify my statement. With electric cars and collective technology increasing exponentially it's hard to say what will happen to values of any marque.
    Could be in 10 or 15 years nobody will even want to drive a gasoline powered car.
    Last edited by Michael; 01-04-2017 at 11:10 AM.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    When it comes to classic car prices, there are two camps that drive values up: People who want the popular cars they saw when they were kids, and Investors that want to pump & dump marques. DeLoreans are in the former group, while Porsches & Supras tend to be in the latter. Especially with speculators whining that there are no good classics from the 70's, 80's, & 90's. So as soon as they saw cars like those, as well as RX-7s, they snatch them up, hype them, and dump the cars at inflated prices for a quick buck. But it is that first group that is always the stronger one.
    While I agree that rising DeLorean values are probably primarily enthusiast driven, there's undoubtedly been a fair share of "pump and dump" happening, too. For quite a few years now DMC Florida has been advertising DeLoreans for over $50,000 without even bothering to replace their cars 35 year old tires, belts, hoses, etc. Once they started doing that, suddenly everyone selling a DeLorean started asking $50,000 for their cars, regardless of cosmetic or mechanical condition. To me, this is the epitome of pump & dump.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Always look to the cost and availability of a car in terrible condition to see where the general trend is going. It is undeniable that the prices of these project/parts cars are up, up, up domestic and abroad.
    This was what finally convinced me that DeLorean values as a whole are rising at a pace that exceeds inflation. Just last week a somewhat shabby automatic DeLorean with no engine or transmission sold on eBay for $16,000. To me, that's the ultimate confirmation that these cars have entered a new era of collectability. Like you said, paying top dollar for exceptional condition cars of any make is expected. But when the wrecks are valuable, that's when things have changed.

While we're on the subject of inflation, I'm sure everyone remembers the old $25,000 rule. Price of DeLorean + any cosmetic and mechanical repairs it may need should add up to about $25,000. This was the gold standard DeLorean mantra when I was looking to buy my first DeLorean back in 2000. Adjusted for inflation, $25,000 in the year 2000 equates to about $35,000 in early 2017. There are still cars trading hands for less than that, but they will invariably need some work.

After watching a tv show recently I need to modify my statement. With electric cars and collective technology increasing exponentially it's hard to say what will happen to values of any marque. Could be in 10 or 15 years nobody will even want to drive a gasoline powered car.
    This was what I was hinting at with my comments about future generations and collectability. Once cars are electric and fully autonomous, what will this do to the classic car hobby? I keep reading articles where kids born today will never learn how to drive because of this (much less learn to drive a manual transmission!). Automotive maintenance and restoration will no longer be ingrained in future drivers, either. There will always be gearheads and collectors, no doubt. But we're on the cusp of the biggest change in transportation since the interstate highway, and I don't think anyone can really predict how it will change the car hobby.
    Last edited by louielouie2000; 01-04-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    3937

After watching a tv show recently I need to modify my statement. With electric cars and collective technology increasing exponentially it's hard to say what will happen to values of any marque.
    Could be in 10 or 15 years nobody will even want to drive a gasoline powered car.
    Well, it is 2017 now. Considering how many things 1987's The Running Man got right about reality TV and whatnot...

We only have to wait until 2032 for the "pussification" of society as predicted by 1993's Demolition Man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSZoG8JVMss

Self-driving cars are just the beginning, lol.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2