FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Another source of Angle Drive issues/failures

My VIN:    Midproduction

Another source of Angle Drive issues/failures

My speedometer dropped again, but this time I noticed something different when I popped the dust cap off.

IMG_6912.jpg

The speedo cable between the angle drive and the dust cap had sucked up a good amount of the tape I used to keep the dust cap from slipping. This likely explains the bouncing needle days before the speedometer dropped. Has this happen to any of you before? Definitely something to consider when using tape to keep the dust cap from rolling.

IMG_6913.JPG

My VIN:    03572

Knock on wood.

I've never put tape on my dust cap. I thought the wheel pressed on it. I guess yours shows something is taking more torque.

I'm guessing my angle drive was a PJ Grady drive since my car was from northern NJ and the PO had a lot of work done there.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    My speedometer dropped again, but this time I noticed something different when I popped the dust cap off.

IMG_6912.jpg

The speedo cable between the angle drive and the dust cap had sucked up a good amount of the tape I used to keep the dust cap from slipping. This likely explains the bouncing needle days before the speedometer dropped. Has this happen to any of you before? Definitely something to consider when using tape to keep the dust cap from rolling.

IMG_6913.JPG
    You really should not need to use electrical tape to keep the dust cap from spinning. If you do use it it is to be considered a temporary measure till you can replace the dust cap. What I see is unusual in that the cable between the dust cap and the angle drive came out with the dust cap and it seems to be stuck in the dust cap. My guess is that something is causing a lot of strain on the dust cap/cable interface and the cable turned and locked itself into the cap. Instead of rounding out the cap it was able to twist it hard enough to overcome the tape that you out in. You definitely have a problem in the drive system to the speedometer but it isn't the dust cap or the angle drive. That is just the symptom. On one car that ate angle drives I took the speedometer head apart and found one of the plastic posts had broken off inside. The metal clip, still attached to the post, had gotten itself attracted to and jammed into the speedometer. All of that drag caused all of the problems. Could be that in your case or a bad cable or maybe you just need to lubricate it.
    David Teitelbaum

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Slightly related...is a slipping dust cap a cause of bouncing speedos? I replaced my angle drive some time ago but I still seem to have a bouncing speedo...though my mileage still counts properly.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Slightly related...is a slipping dust cap a cause of bouncing speedos? I replaced my angle drive some time ago but I still seem to have a bouncing speedo...though my mileage still counts properly.
    Nevermind...it is. I should have just done more googling.