FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to The Future MODs Survey

My VIN:    07000

And now for my .02 cents.

Being a prop builder of sorts (I have an R2 unit my son and I built, some from scratch, some from R2 Builder club parts runs), I'd say just go for it and see what happens. I did a model of the Wormhole emitter last year that's on Thingiverse, which is free, and pretty accurate to photos and measurements of the actual one that Gary Weaver posted. Is it perfectly accurate? Probably not. But it's close.
    I made it because certain people sell a resin cast version for $500 bucks, which to me is kind of grand larceny. But then they probably sell them for that because some people are willing to pay that much. I'm not, and I can make 3D models all day of parts and then put them somewhere where anyone who wants to save a buck can either print them or send them to get printed. The days are much different than 8 years ago when I built my R2 and had to wait for parts to be made in a run - though those were still reasonably priced due to the R2 Builders license and agreement with LFL. As I have time I'll be making more external parts (Mr. Fusion that looks a bit more accurate than what's online now from other makers for instance) to share as well.

Having said that, it's interesting how many people think my modded DeLorean is the one from the movie (it has a spoiler). And then I've had comments from people with very nice cars (like Lamborghini's and Ferrari's) comment how much nicer the stock (though it's not) look is to the time machine they may have recently seen.

I do have stuff inside, like the Flux Capacitor (which gives everyone a thrill and they all have to get a photo of it), Doc's glasses, the speedo, and a HoverBoard. I wold like to have vents I could just put on and take off that fold up nicely, and I do stick my top part of my actual Mr. Fusion (a Krups grinder) to my louvers with a little bit of Commando 3M tape, and it lights up too. I would like to have a light up static version of the time display circuits I can just set or hang from the dash in front of the vents when at shows or events, as I get a lot of requests for those with the car and me as Doc Brown.

So if you plan on it, I'd have a better version of the Wormhole emitter than you have now on your car, as well as the Mr. Fusion. Your flux bands look pretty spot on though! And if you could have interior parts that look the part but are non-functional (the time circuits in the movie were just gels), then you might have something there.

Good luck!

I personally don't have any interest in modding my car to look like the BTTF car, but I can see the appeal. For me the use would be for maybe parades, a car show/event on some random weekend and maybe a Halloween party or two every few years. The set up would need to take less than 2 hours, be in drive-able condition with them on, and break down about an hour or less. I would need practically nil risk to damaging the car (from cracked louvres to noticeable scuff/rub marks on the stainless steel). I personally don't think the general population notices, or cares, about it looking screen accurate. It would just need to have the iconic pieces and have 9 out of 10 people think its believable/passable replica/homage to the Time Machine. Honestly, it could be foam, or a hollow one piece plastic form, just as long as it appears real. I like the idea of the interior pieces to be "functional" as part of the joy for people is actually touching/using them, so it would be great if the time circuits on and keypad worked. However, I wouldn't pay more than $200 to have "functional" interior props vs. static displays.

I guess if I had to price it, the cost I could "justify" to myself to fork out would be less than $1000 total. I wouldn't personally spend that, but it goes up there on the list of things I would like to do to my car, but don't need, like lowering the front end, doorzilla, etc. What I would actually pay, like if you said I'm selling this right now, would be $300 to $400 dollars. I figure the putting smiles on peoples faces a few times over the years would be worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I hope your enjoying the process and props to ya' for trying to bring props to the masses!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    I did a model of the Wormhole emitter last year that's on Thingiverse, which is free, and pretty accurate to photos and measurements of the actual one that Gary Weaver posted. Is it perfectly accurate? Probably not. But it's close
    So if I want to print this at Shapeways... It asks what units the file uses... Is it inches? Any other info I need to order a print from them?

Thanks
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Here's the kit I made for the back... It's not drive-able as the vents are made from gator board (high density foam core). I used it for a couple of events for static display and just set it on top of the engine cover.

IMG_6337.jpgIMG_6336.jpgIMG_6461.jpgIMG_6469.jpg

I've since got some more accurate parts I will be installing - like the correct hubcap, and heat sinks for the reactor, and the oil separators. However I think even in this state it's really close in spirit. Next up is accurate flux bands, boxes, and wormhole emitter. I've already got the speaker grille for the wormhole emitter.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    So if I want to print this at Shapeways... It asks what units the file uses... Is it inches? Any other info I need to order a print from them?

Thanks
    Steve
    Holy crap! Shapeways wants $300 to print it just the body ($200 in PLA). By the time I print the rest of it I could buy my own 3D printer.
    Jeez!

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post

Thanks
    Steve
    It's in inches. I'd also consider using iMaterialise.com, as they price based on the volume of the object vs. the material requited, so it does come out a bit cheaper.

Also, this has the screen as well, though not completely accurate but probably easy to print.

Greg
    Last edited by Timebender; 01-03-2017 at 08:24 PM.

My VIN:    10907

For me it would depend on the cost vs. what use I could get out of it. Like, could the cost of the parts be offset fairly quickly by renting it out for a few special events, or would it be cheap enough to buy just for personal amusement (for me that would pretty much have to be in the sub-$1000 range)? If so, I'd consider it.

I hadn't really been considering a time machine conversion at all due to expense and permanent mods being more stuff I'd have to worry about when driving and parking, but if the price was right, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    It's in inches. I'd also consider using iMaterialise.com, as they price based on the volume of the object vs. the material requited, so it does come out a bit cheaper.

Greg
    $152 at iMaterialise so a little better. Think I may have to scratch build it and then make a cast. Pretty sure I can build one from wood... Now to figure out how to cast things...

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5754

I can speak from experience that I have been living out this concept for the past two years. Please go the the "Hissem" post in the BTTF posts. There you will see my home made "NON DESTRUCTIVE" time machine conversion. I can honestly say that it can be done without any hole drilling in the body. There are no scratches on the body panels or the front bumper. All hardware parts that go on the pontoons are mounted to a plate of aluminum that has same shape and contour of the pontoons. That way there are no holes that were drilled there either. The wires there go around the front fenders and up to the back are all clipped with stainless steel clips with a rubber backing that don't scratch the panels.

I have been dreaming and planning on making a time machine for the past 15-20 years and doing it without damaging the car. I have been saving parts and making parts that I hoped to go onto a DeLorean if and when I got a DeLorean. I have years of practice in fabricating all sorts of large and small projects, so this came easy and natural to me. The hard part was making fitting and adjusting the parts delicately around my car. I could take it all off if I wanted, but so far I have no desire to. That option will still be an option 10-20ish or more years from now. I rest in that thought of that.

I do drive my car daily except on salty and snowy roads in the winter. Driving a time machine on a daily basis can test your patience and attitude. I enjoy it 99% of the time. I drive it for my own pleasure, so I don't let the opinions of criticism get to me. I have not heard any direct criticism from random places, so it has been encouraging. Some people I come across can not contemplate spending the time and money in doing that. I have been dreaming of this for my whole life, and I can't describe the satisfaction of accomplishing this dream. When those who criticize that, I wonder if they have accomplished their life long dreams?

I believe in preserving the integrity of the cars history and story more than making it movie accurate. I am have fun with the best of both worlds. That catch is that without taking out the back window or using accurate parts, I can not claim a replica status. I claim a very close representation in what it should be. I have done the best with the resources that I have access to. I drive it in the rain, and there is no harm to any of it. It can be a little annoying when I clean around the flux bands.

I want to thank Mark D for his help and advise in helping me accomplish my life long dream.

My VIN:    2894

As a Time Machine owner with a permanent mod I can safely tell you that these non-destructive mods are awesome and 99% of the people have no idea. I think it's a great way to have your cake and eat it too. Very creative!
    CEO at RentTheDelorean.com
    Dreamer at FastestDeloreanInTheWorld.com
    First & Longest Running Video Blogger at TheOfficialJourney.com ( 1999-2022 )

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast