FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need electric scheme for Saab mirror switch

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

Need electric scheme for Saab mirror switch

My original mirror switch is broken and I can not repair it. Went to the scrap yard and got a Saab 93 switch.
    Want to solder the wires to the old delorean mirror switch plug. Found a scheme for the delorean switch so I know the function of each wire. Seen many post about people that have used this Saab switch, but the links to scheme are old and don't work anymore. Also the Saab switch has only 7 wires and the Delorean has 8, how do I get it to work?[ATTACH=CONFIG]48144
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Delta DeLorean; 01-03-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta DeLorean View Post
    My original mirror switch is broken and I can not repair it. Went to the scrap yard and got a Saab 93 switch.
    Want to solder the wires to the old delorean mirror switch plug. Found a scheme for the delorean switch so I know the function of each wire. Seen many post about people that have used this Saab switch, but the links to scheme are old and don't work anymore. Also the Saab switch has only 7 wires and the Delorean has 8, how do I get it to work?[ATTACH=CONFIG]48144

I would be interested in purchasing your old OEM switch. Please PM if interested.

Nissan 200SX ( 240SX in the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Nissan 200SX ( 240SX in the US)
    That would be realy hard to find overhere. The Saab ones are easy, there were 5 cars in the yard to choose from. Also found a new 9 way connector with the 3mm pins , so no need to solder. Just need to find out how to hook it up.

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

I've got some information, hopefully it can help...

For the original DeLorean wiring, this is how it is set up:

switch.jpg

Black = Ground
    White/Red = RH Left
    White = LH Left
    White/Blue = RH Up
    White/Green = LH Up
    White/Purple = LH/RH Down
    White/Brown = LH/RH Right
    Dark Green = Not used (based on the wiring diagram, it appears to be for the mirror heaters)

Not sure how the original Saab unit pins out, but one thing to note is the following: In my testing, it appears that the White/Brown and White/Purple wires are shorted together. I removed the pins and connector, and slipped the heat shrink tubing off, and found that both of these wires connect to the dark blue wire coming from the switch. This is where the extra wire comes from.

Hopefully someone can double-check me on this, but I believe the above is correct.

Delta,
    Burch has it scoped out for you. I thought I might see if I could help using some web research. I’m using the DeLorean electrical schematic and comparing it to a Saab mirror control schematic I got off the web. There are several different Saab units listed so I just took what seemed the most common. I’ll try to include images of the pertinent sections of both circuits with this response. So here are the connections that would seem logical:
    1. The DeLorean Supply Power (+12) wire (light green connected to terminal 1) needs to be connected to the H terminal of the Saab unit.
    2. The DeLorean left mirror up/down wire (white/green connected to terminal 8 ) needs to be connected to the E terminal of the Saab unit.
    3. The DeLorean left mirror left/right wire (white connected to terminal 11) needs to be connected to the B terminal of the Saab unit.
    4. The DeLorean right mirror up/down wire (white/blue connected to terminal 9) needs to be connected to the C terminal of the Saab unit.
    5. The DeLorean right mirror left/right wire (white/red connected to terminal 10) needs to be connected to the F terminal of the Saab unit.
    6. The other side of the four mirror servos (two white/brown wires connected to terminal 3 and two white/purple wires connected to terminal 6) all connect to the D terminal of the Saab unit.
    7. Finally, the DeLorean ground connection wire (black connected to terminal 2) needs to be connected to the A terminal of the Saab unit.
    You can get the wire colors for the Saab unit from the Saab schematic. If I’m not using the schematic for the Saab unit you have, post the correct schematic or let me know the unit model number and I’ll revise the directions.

Hope this helps,
    Ron
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Delta DeLorean View Post
    That would be realy hard to find overhere. The Saab ones are easy, there were 5 cars in the yard to choose from. Also found a new 9 way connector with the 3mm pins , so no need to solder. Just need to find out how to hook it up.
    I bought 5 on ebay for 10€ each - they fit into the hole !

and - they drove around the world and are still working...

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Delta,
    Burch has it scoped out for you. I thought I might see if I could help using some web research. I’m using the DeLorean electrical schematic and comparing it to a Saab mirror control schematic I got off the web. There are several different Saab units listed so I just took what seemed the most common. I’ll try to include images of the pertinent sections of both circuits with this response. So here are the connections that would seem logical:
    1. The DeLorean Supply Power (+12) wire (light green connected to terminal 1) needs to be connected to the H terminal of the Saab unit.
    2. The DeLorean left mirror up/down wire (white/green connected to terminal 8 ) needs to be connected to the E terminal of the Saab unit.
    3. The DeLorean left mirror left/right wire (white connected to terminal 11) needs to be connected to the B terminal of the Saab unit.
    4. The DeLorean right mirror up/down wire (white/blue connected to terminal 9) needs to be connected to the C terminal of the Saab unit.
    5. The DeLorean right mirror left/right wire (white/red connected to terminal 10) needs to be connected to the F terminal of the Saab unit.
    6. The other side of the four mirror servos (two white/brown wires connected to terminal 3 and two white/purple wires connected to terminal 6) all connect to the D terminal of the Saab unit.
    7. Finally, the DeLorean ground connection wire (black connected to terminal 2) needs to be connected to the A terminal of the Saab unit.
    You can get the wire colors for the Saab unit from the Saab schematic. If I’m not using the schematic for the Saab unit you have, post the correct schematic or let me know the unit model number and I’ll revise the directions.

Hope this helps,
    Ron
    Ron,
    I have Saab part nr 4466405. But I gues my google skills are not so good, only could find switches for sale, not a schematic.
    Thanks everybody for helping. Think at one point we can all benefit from this info, the original switch will not last forever in a Delorean.

Delta,
    You’re right; finding the schematic for Saab part number 4466405 is difficult. I found several broken links claiming to post the schematic but ultimately no success in getting the schematic or pin-out for that specific part number. I found several people claiming that the Saab control was identical to the Saturn mirror control. A pin-out was provided for the Saturn controller which I’ve included here. The pictures of the controller (also included) look similar to yours (only have the one photo of the top of yours to compare). Take a look and see if this might match the controller you have. I’ll go ahead and list the wiring connections required in the hopes that this might apply to the controller you have :
    1. The DeLorean Supply Power (+12) wire (light green connected to terminal 1) needs to be connected to controller connection 1 of the Saab/Saturn unit.
    2. The DeLorean left mirror up/down wire (white/green connected to terminal 8 ) needs to be connected to controller connection 3 of the Saab/Saturn unit.
    3. The DeLorean left mirror left/right wire (white connected to terminal 11) needs to be connected to controller connection 8 of the Saab/Saturn unit.
    4. The DeLorean right mirror up/down wire (white/blue connected to terminal 9) needs to be connected to controller connection 7 of the Saab/Saturn unit.
    5. The DeLorean right mirror left/right wire (white/red connected to terminal 10) needs to be connected to controller connection 4 of the Saab/Saturn unit.
    6. The other side of the four mirror servos (two white/brown wires connected to terminal 3 and two white/purple wires connected to terminal 6) all connect to controller connection 5 of the Saab/Saturn unit.
    7. Finally, the DeLorean ground connection wire (black connected to terminal 2) needs to be connected to controller connection 2 of the Saab/Saturn unit.

saturnmirrorswitch.jpgsaturnpowermirrorswitch.jpgSaturn mirror switch 22664402.jpg

If anyone else comes up with more definitive information on the Saab 4466405 mirror switch let us know so we can document the proper connections for use in the D.

Sincerely,
    Ron

Ron,
    Looking at the picture I can say now that the Saturn switch and the Saab one are not the same.
    Mine has "saab" stamped on the bottom and "TRW M". Also no numbers near the terninals, wires are soldered to the switch. It looks like the information on how to wire this switch to a delorean was availible in the past but has gone lost.
    Would be good to write a good "how to.."
    Basicly the switch has to parts, left and right mirror selector and the up/down and left/right part. Need to start from there. Can not do any testing on my car, working on the doors, reinforcing the door strut mount. Door is held up by a piece of wood. Also have battery disconected, working on the engine, wire harnes is disconected.
    I will ask on the eurotecforum, some people use the saab switch in europe.
    I will also investigate in the Nissan switch. Like the idea of having a switch that fits in the hole
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast