FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH new build discussion **Split from Ebay car vin thread***

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'd like a public answer to this question from someone who knows:

Was the name "New Build" chosen to deliberately gain attention by making people think that "New" DeLoreans were being created or did they just run with the often-printed misunderstandings and leave the name unchanged to ride the wave of publicity that resulted?

I've had so many people ask about their "new" cars and have a few articles around someplace that family members have sent me that say that they're BUILDING cars in Houston. That is simply untrue, but I'm not blaming Houston for what the paper prints. I know reporters often misinterpret things and twist them, but why hasn't Houston come out with any story that says "There will be NO MORE DeLoreans manufactured; EVER!" Certainly with all the hype that their "new build" cars generated, this would see quite a bit of media interest and officially set the record straight; I, however, remain doubtful that it would be able to clear up the misunderstanding that they have deliberately played up to their advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    What might that be? PJ Grady has been in the Delorean business far longer than DMCH, has more experience, and sells many IMPROVED products that you can't get from DMCH. Hervey has been selling parts for about 10 years now and he has hundreds of NEW products available for purchase. Henninger sells all sorts of new stuff too. Oh and support is available all over the internet in places like this.

Don't get me wrong, I do buy stuff from DMCH but I do it indirectly by making my purchases from DMCMW. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see too many postings from DMCH on this forum offering free advice.

Dave over at DMCMW is on here almost everyday giving away free advise and because of that and fast shipping I chose to give him as much business as I can, as long as it isn't something like a 30 year old brake booster than has never been rebuilt.

Edit: I forgot to mention Josh at DPI. He seems to do great work too. I haven't done business with him but he has a good reputation and seems to be in love with these cars. Deloreans seem to be more of a religion than a business to him. Thats the kind of guy you want rebuilding your car from the frame up.

Well said Steve, 90% of the time that I make a purchase from DeLorean Motor Company (houston) it is indirectly through DMC Midwest. I do this due to Dave and Julee Swingle's dedication to the marquee, and their outstanding customer service that they regularly provide myself and countless other owners either on the phone or on the internet either here or on that other board. I have also always been treated by them with respect.

I've said this countless times, Stephen Wynne should be thankfull that he has people like Dave and Julee representing his brand.

I've also had possitive experiances with Rob Grady, Lawrence Lormand, and John Hervey all of which in my eyes have contributed more as far as I am concerned to our marquee as far as improved or no longer available parts goes then DMCH. I've also had possitive conversations with Josh Bengston at DPI and look forward to visiting his shop.

I only wish that DMC Midwest did not have their hands tied into only installing DMCH parts when they work on my car, I would like to reward them with my customer loyalty and use them exclusively to work on my car, but I also want the best for it and NOS or DMCH's improved parts are not always better for my car then what "the competition" has to offer, and apparently that is against DMCH policy.
    Last edited by tjd; 09-01-2011 at 12:44 AM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All of this comes down to playing with the meaning of words. Some words have implied meaning such as "new". Using that word in the context of a used car is misleading. Most advertising has gotten away from using the word "used". A BIG example is "Certified Pre-Owned" or CPO. DMCH is doing what they can to differentiate their cars from the general "used" population of cars because they feel it is not the "average" used car. Legally it is a used car. Practically, it is as close to new as possible. Obviously the market will ultimately determine it's status. As for the general population of Delorean owners, this can only be seen as a good thing because it forces DMCH to have a running, continuous supply of ALL of the parts of a Delorean. It also develops a lot of interest and publicity and a whole new class of owners who wouldn't buy a "used" car. BTW James, what would you call a "brand new" Cadillac if the dealer told you it had only 80 used parts in it and a Title that said you were the 4th owner and the car has 40K miles on it? Let me answer that for you,

"New Build"

Well, it is newly built. He just cannot say "Brand New". Maybe made from many "Brand New" parts! This is why when you buy something, anything, you must look beyond the advertising hype and understand EXACTLY what you are buying. If this gives you a headache take an aspirin. Welcome to the REAL world where you cannot believe everything you hear and only 1/2 of what you see!
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

What sucks about DMCH, and believe me, I do appreciate the part they have played in the Delorean community, is they have a huge inventory of 30 year old parts they need to sell.

Look what happened with windshields. It wasn't until after they sold all of their 30 year old windshields, which were starting to seperate, that they found someone to start producing new windshields. Honestly, if I was in their situation I would probably do the same thing. They have a warehouse of old parts they paid for and need to get rid of.

Like someone else said, at least DMCH hasn't turned into Delorean One. I have never called DMCH directly to order a part as I prefer DMCMW but I have a feeling they wouldn't hang up on me if I called them wanting to spend some money.

Another thing that disturbs me about DMCH is they act like they, and their franchises, are the one and only source for Delorean parts and service. I have talked to many prospective owners and owners who got this impression after dealing with Houston.

Sean sucks because he split another thread.

Anyone else find it ironic that DMCH is having a Concourse competition at their Open House in October? They're worse than I am in relation to build accuracy, yet they're having an event that focuses on build accuracy.

Now, granted, I dislike Concourse on a level that parallels BTTF-replicas, but I don't see this event lasting. How many people actually participate in it anymore? It seems that in recent years, there's no longer a premium paid for those cars and, in some cases, they go for less. There are always going to be those who enjoy having a car sitting on unsafe tires and original oil filters, but the numbers are sharply diminished and dwindling fast.

I know that they are a business, but I think that they've been treading on a few toes in a very limited market. You can never please everyone; my cars exemplify this, and there will always be issues, but in an area where the biggest complaint about the cars is public interaction and misunderstanding, wouldn't you think that they'd want to reduce this as much as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Sean sucks because he split another thread.
    Actually, that was my idea. I PM'ed him about it because I thought that our tangent into the "new" cars of DMCH was cluttering a thread that had nothing to do with it in the first place.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Anyone else find it ironic that DMCH is having a Concourse competition at their Open House in October?
    Actually, I think its more like Millennium Concours is having a competition and DMCH is gracious enough to host it at their event, win win.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Actually, I think its more like Millennium Concours is having a competition and DMCH is gracious enough to host it at their event, win win.
    Ah. My mistake here. Though, I still think that their days are numbered. However, I plan to enter in 2012.

Remember to vote:

"DRACULA in 2012"

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Ah. My mistake here. Though, I still think that their days are numbered. However, I plan to enter in 2012.

Remember to vote:

"DRACULA in 2012"
    I look forward to judging it in Orlando!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I look forward to judging it in Orlando!
    My sympathies to you. Keep a red pen handy.

I would like to attend the Open House at Houston, as well, but I can't what with going back to school.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

How does DMCH avoid having a “odometer discrepancy” report appear on the “new builds’ carfax report? If you have a 70000 mile donor car, and put “un-used 0-mile parts” on it, I would presume you want the odometer to read 0, to fall in with the “new” part. When it is titled, does it not get flagged as a discrepancy?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast