FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH new build discussion **Split from Ebay car vin thread***

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    By that logic, driving around ANY car is free advertising for said company who manufactures said car. I don't receive royalties for driving around my GMC, come on man.
    Not true. My other car is a Geo Metro. The front logo fell off a long time ago and I sanded and painted over the rear decal. Most people don't recognize what type of car it is and they don't understand why I drive such a crappy car.

I seriously doubt anyone would be interested in it even if I did have the decal and logo on it.

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Not true. My other car is a Geo Metro. The front logo fell off a long time ago and I sanded and painted over the rear decal. Most people don't recognize what type of car it is and they don't understand why I drive such a crappy car.

I seriously doubt anyone would be interested in it even if I did have the decal and logo on it.
    You'd be surprised. In this economy, if the price is right, I can sell those cars all day long.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I guess by that logic you are also advertising for Universal Studios, they did the BTTF movies. What I object to is when you drive a new car the dealer will put his stickers or license plate frame on to advertise. That I believe is going too far. From a product placement point of view the BTTF movies were a case study in the use of product placement. If you remember there was a whole big thing about Tab. In fact, the Delorean itself was "product placement". Lotus was also big on that. An untold # of Lotus's were sold because 007 drove one in teh Spy who loved me, and Richard Gere in Pretty Woman. What DMCH is not illegal until and if someone were to challenge them. In the meantime enjoy your car and No, you do not have to pay anyone royalties if your car is in a commercial. Good luck in suing anyone for a design defect.
    David Teitelbaum

Yes true (now I am arguing). The vehicle is still recognizable as a Geo like the DeLorean in "The Wedding Singer", it doesn't need it's logo. I don't know if I buy your claim that "most people" don't know what it is I don't know if I'd call it advertising since either since the car is no longer manufactured, but it's a moot point.

Like Chad said, with fuel prices the way they are, i bet you could sell plenty of those cars. I once owned a 92 Geo metro, great car, I tried to kill it and that sucker wouldnt die.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 11-18-2011 at 02:54 PM.

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Yes true (now I am arguing). The vehicle is still recognizable as a Geo like the DeLorean in "The Wedding Singer", it doesn't need it's logo. I don't know if I buy your claim that "most people" don't know what it is I don't know if I'd call it advertising since either since the car is no longer manufactured, but it's a moot point.
    And furthermore, by Steve's own argument, if he doesn't want to do free advertising for DMCH, all he needs to do is remove all the logos. He can't have it both ways. He's either advertising for any company affiliated with the car's logo he's driving... or he can remove logos and be advertising for none.

By another line of thinking, logo-less, a recognized DeLorean could be advertising for Wynne, Hervry, Josh at DPI, and any other vendor who helped keep it on the road. My apologies to those vendors I forgot to mention.
    Last edited by Alan; 11-20-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Better quoting

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Here's the latest public story out of Hemmings about the U.S. replica new-build rules, sent to a mailing list by DMCH today:

LINK: Overdue-federal-regulations-force-low-volume-replica-car-builders-to-delay-production

In part:
    “The NHTSA has a lot on their plate – they’re still dealing with the airbag issue and now autonomous cars – so we certainly don’t fault them,” said Jim Espey, vice president of the De Lorean Motor Company. “The people at the NHTSA are just as frustrated as us, and they realize we’re in this position, but their hands are tied as much as ours are.”

New twist here? "New" DeLoreans might be available in the EU before a USA release?
    Rather than do nothing while waiting for the NHTSA guidelines, Espey said De Lorean is currently pursuing certification as a low-volume manufacturer in the European Union, “where they have longer experience and more understanding of the low-volume manufacturing industry.”
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Here's the latest public story out of Hemmings about the U.S. replica new-build rules, sent to a mailing list by DMCH today:

LINK: Overdue-federal-regulations-force-low-volume-replica-car-builders-to-delay-production

In part:
    “The NHTSA has a lot on their plate – they’re still dealing with the airbag issue and now autonomous cars – so we certainly don’t fault them,” said Jim Espey, vice president of the De Lorean Motor Company. “The people at the NHTSA are just as frustrated as us, and they realize we’re in this position, but their hands are tied as much as ours are.”

New twist here? "New" DeLoreans might be available in the EU before a USA release?
    Rather than do nothing while waiting for the NHTSA guidelines, Espey said De Lorean is currently pursuing certification as a low-volume manufacturer in the European Union, “where they have longer experience and more understanding of the low-volume manufacturing industry.”

Moderators please move this to any more recent DMC new-build thread I may have missed.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    6125

Reviving this thread from the dead. Saw this article today in my google news feed:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/57150...for-a-comeback

I found the last line of the article particularly interesting:

It was an ideal situation for Wynne, with one exception. The FAST Act requires input from the Department of Transportation on specific regulatory details, and the DOT has yet to issue it.

As soon as he's legally able, Wynne plans on producing 22 cars the first year and then ramp up production. The vehicles will likely carry a price tag of around $100,000. Is it a viable business plan? Wynne thinks so. The waiting list of people expressing intent to buy a new DeLorean is in excess of 5000.
    5000 people with intent to buy??

More like 5000 people have signed up for email updates on the "new" DeLorean website. That hardly means intentions to buy.

Also, here's the latest nothing-burger of an update from DMCH:
    http://www.newdelorean.com/blog/
    Last edited by Mark D; 01-24-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

When you get deposits of at least 10%, then you got a serious buyer. Anything less and all you got is a copy and paste list of Facebook DeLorean Fanatics members.

My VIN:    Between VINs

I assume that Mental Floss simply wrote a summary of the Popular Mechanics article that came out about a week ago: https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...motor-company/

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast