FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH new build discussion **Split from Ebay car vin thread***

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Tim,

You were all nice to me at Woodward 10 days ago, it's only here and on FB that you turn into someone different. Why is that? Not enough people there to make it worth making a scene like here and on FB?

I'll put one of these cars up against any "used" DeLorean that you can find. We take a bare chassis - galvanized and powdercoated original or SS at the customer's request - and assemble the car from that point forward with the parts combination as I described above. 1-2% of the parts used came from the donor - which allows the cars to be titled as 1981-1983 cars - which are rebuilt or refurbished. The balance of the parts have never been on a car before.

We've just shipped off the underbody molds to Louisiana to have the first new underbody in nearly 30 years manufactured out of modern materials. Somehow, I don't even think that will make you happy. We're scheduled to have the first one here at the Open House in October, along with some other surprise new parts.

Factory trained workforce? The guys here putting the cars together have more experience with these cars than any of the good people in Dunmurry did. We also have the experience of working with the car for nearly 30 years and knowing the faults and weaknesses that the the original DMC never had the time to learn about, much less fix.

Calling the cars restored or refurbished actually does the finished product a disservice. Those terms are thrown about by so many people to refer to so describe so many different things - I'd wager that no DeLorean has been "restored" or "refurbished" to include the outright replacement of approximately 98% of it's part content. Probably only a miniscule number of restorations in the world can say that. I can't control what the media reports, or what people interpret from that. Anyone who calls asking about these cars gets told this exact same thing I've just written here.

Finally, if this truly causes you a headache, I'd wager that you're in the minority - most people are glad to hear something other than cocaine jokes and BTTF references.

James

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

YEAH, all jokesq aside, if I had the money I'd either buy a DMCH rebuild or let Josh at DPI perform his magic. My concern with the Houston car is using 30 year old NOS parts instead of improved rebuilt parts.

For example. The rubber diaphragm in my brake booster started leaking. I had two options for replacing the 30 year old booster. I could either replace it with a 30 year old NOS part with a 30 year old diaphragm or get a rebuilt brake booster with a new rubber diaphragm installed. Can anyone guess which option I chose?

My concern with buying a DMCH rebuild would be whether or not they would be using 30 year old parts such as brake boosters, ac compressors, and even engines. Josh at DPI removed the heads from a 30 year old NOS crate engine and it was pretty nasty inside. It ended up having to be rebuilt. It is stuff like this that scares me.

Btw, I hope James realizes I'm just messing with him about binnacles. Sorry if I'm getting on your nerves but remember, I'm the man without a brain.

It's wasn't worth getting into an arguement with you James, and since you were right up in my car when I needed to get into it I was courteous with you, and I don't know you so I don't dislike you and since I was trying to enjoy myself thank you very much, I would assume that you were too and I extended to you something called common courtesy. I also expect that there like here and on facebook you will stop responding when we get into things I would find interesting, like if I ask for a specific list of what parts are reused. Since it's such a small percentage I figure this wouldn't be too difficult to answer.

I'd also like to know what happens to the grooved and gas flapped hoods that are removed from donors that do not end up back on the finished "new" build, I know of atleast two "new" builds that are built on an 81 donor car that are missing these (valuable) parts. I have also never seen a "new" build built on an 81 Donor that didn't have a flat hood.

LOL James as a DeLorean purist I've seen several original DeLoreans that I'd put up against one of your vin-incorrect "new" builds anyday of the week.

No James a newly produced underbody will not improve my opinion of your "new" builds (cough restorations). Only when you guys start caring about the cars history and do proper vin correct restorations will my opinion improve, and it would improve dramatically. What you are doing now is robbing the cars of their individual history as in many cases they hardly ressemble the cars that left Dunmurry by the time they exit your facility as one of your "new" build cars. They remind me of that Johnny Cash song One Piece At A Time, but in the DeLoreans case it wold be an 81, 82, 83... and it didn't cost Johnny a dime, but your "new" build is setting some unsuspecting sole back atleast 57 grand. It's sad really.

According to Michael they are using OEM tail light boards instead of Grady's improved part. These have been known to be faulty thus unsafe since atleast the mid 80's. So they do not mind cutting corners to save a dime, even if it jeopardises the safety and lives of their "new" build customer.

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'd put my restored car up against ANY of your refurbished cars any day of the week. Sure, it has one of your Stage II engines, but it has a lot of enhancements beside that and countless little features that speak volumes of the production history of DeLoreans as well as telling an interesting story of restoration and personal taste.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    We've just shipped off the underbody molds to Louisiana to have the first new underbody in nearly 30 years manufactured out of modern materials.
    this is awesome!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Right off hand I've seen 10 or more original DeLoreans some survivor many of them updated and atleast one beautifully done correct restoration that I'd put up against any of your company's "new" builds any day of the week James, and this is just out of a relatively small pool of cars I've personally seen in the past two or three years since I got back in the hobby.

and yes before you bring it up I have seen one of your companys "new" builds in person that had less then 1,000 miles on it since completion, and sadly I was not impressed. The vin inaccuracies, the poor quality reproduction seat covers (they don't look OEM, I don't know what I'm going to do when and if I need to replace my originals) the recovered binacle, the grain on the Stainless, and the biggest offense is the overall fit and finish, the car has an early oversized underbody so the car has subpar panel alignment. Not what I'd expect when paying 57K+ for a DeLorean.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by tjd View Post
    It's wasn't worth getting into an arguement with you James, and since you were right up in my car when I needed to get into it I was courteous with you, and I don't know you so I don't dislike you and since I was trying to enjoy myself thank you very much, I would assume that you were too and I extended to you something called common courtesy. I also expect that there like here and on facebook you will stop responding when we get into things I would find interesting, like if I ask for a specific list of what parts are reused. Since it's such a small percentage I figure this wouldn't be too difficult to answer.

I'd also like to know what happens to the grooved and gas flapped hoods that are removed from donors that do not end up back on the finished "new" build, I know of atleast two "new" builds that are built on an 81 donor car that are missing these (valuable) parts. I have also never seen a "new" build built on an 81 Donor that didn't have a flat hood.

LOL James as a DeLorean purist I've seen several original DeLoreans that I'd put up against one of your vin-incorrect "new" builds anyday of the week.

No James a newly produced underbody will not improve my opinion of your "new" builds (cough restorations). Only when you guys start caring about the cars history and do proper vin correct restorations will my opinion improve, and it would improve dramatically. What you are doing now is robbing the cars of their individual history as in many cases they hardly ressemble the cars that left Dunmurry by the time they exit your facility as one of your "new" build cars. They remind me of that Johnny Cash song One Piece At A Time, but in the DeLoreans case it wold be an 81, 82, 83... and it didn't cost Johnny a dime, but your "new" build is setting some unsuspecting sole back atleast 57 grand. It's sad really.

According to Michael they are using OEM tail light boards instead of Grady's improved part. These have been known to be faulty thus unsafe since atleast the mid 80's. So they do not mind cutting corners to save a dime, even if it jeopardises the safety and lives of their "new" build customer.
    OK, I'm kinda new to this "owners club" of sorts. But I've been a Delorean enthusiast since as long as I can remember caring about cars, and (with nods to Steven at DMCH) a proud owner since 2007. My question to you buddy is: WHERE's THE FUCKING RESPECT? What other car/ car company in American automotive history can tell the remarkable story of DMC? Thanks to the efforts of TRUE enthusiasts this car, this beautiful piece of art and history has been made available to generations of people just like me, too young to remember the scandal and failure. But simply loved the car for what she was (and still is). DMCH has done, and is still doing what no other company has ever done. Not only making available the "leftovers" of DMCL to us owners, but using 30 years of experience to hone, correct, and make new again in the spirit of preserving a precious piece of history. Can you even comprehend how difficult it would be to maintain our cars if it wasn't for an outfit like DMCH? How expensive the parts would be? Or what would happen when they ran out? They're improving parts we have, making new ones better. The Bricklin can't say that, the Nash can't say that. Hell most American cars past the age of 50 can't say that. We're fortunate enough to have a professional outfit like DMCH backing us up. To be able to say that our car company died, and came back to life better than anyone ever imagined is a rare right and point of pride in its self!

Now lets get on the other side of it. That $57,000 price tag, thats comparable to how much it cost in the 80s to get one, that would have had QA issues, virtually no support, and built by people that had far less experience in assembling Deloreans than "those techs" in Houston. If I could order a hand made car (Delorean or not), built specifically for me, knowing that it had the benefit of hundreds of years combined knowledge to do it, for 60k, I'd leap on it! I'd I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wouldn't. I count myself lucky that my unique, classic, sexy, head turing car has the history that she does, and with the efforts of TRUE motivated people is continuing to make more.

Think about it.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 08-31-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    But simply loved the car for what she was (and still is). DMCH has done, and is still doing what no other company has ever done.
    What might that be? PJ Grady has been in the Delorean business far longer than DMCH, has more experience, and sells many IMPROVED products that you can't get from DMCH. Hervey has been selling parts for about 10 years now and he has hundreds of NEW products available for purchase. Henninger sells all sorts of new stuff too. Oh and support is available all over the internet in places like this.

Don't get me wrong, I do buy stuff from DMCH but I do it indirectly by making my purchases from DMCMW. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see too many postings from DMCH on this forum offering free advice.

Dave over at DMCMW is on here almost everyday giving away free advise and because of that and fast shipping I chose to give him as much business as I can, as long as it isn't something like a 30 year old brake booster than has never been rebuilt.

Edit: I forgot to mention Josh at DPI. He seems to do great work too. I haven't done business with him but he has a good reputation and seems to be in love with these cars. Deloreans seem to be more of a religion than a business to him. Thats the kind of guy you want rebuilding your car from the frame up.
    Last edited by stevedmc; 08-31-2011 at 11:14 PM.

What thirdmanj said.

Maybe the cars do have issues, maybe they are cutting corners. But they're putting out a ton of effort over there to keep these shiny little cars alive.

I am by no means a DMCH apologist, being perfectly happy to source what I feel is the best part from the best supplier no matter who that is, but they do us a great service and their profits help them keep that service going.

I don't think James or anyone (okay, maybe Ed B) deserves this kind of backlash.

Me have some respect? Please, did you not read James 1st paragraph when he was addressing me? I criticize his companies use of the term "new" build and he like a child lashes into a personal attack because I showed him and his fiance respect and common courtesy by not confronting him personally about his companies business practices at a multi DeLorean Club event that my club was hosting that he was a guest at.

Now respect Stephen Wynne because he bought the parts inventory from Kapac? Just because you may not know your DeLorean history doesn't mean that I don't. While I do believe that we are in better shape with the parts in the hands or Mr Wynne then where it could have ended up (cough Ed Bernstein), I wouldn't go as far as saying that we might not have been better off if it went to another party that was interested at the time. But that is neither here nor there as that is not how it played out. While DMCH has had it's successes it has also had it's problems. "Improved" parts that are inferior to OEM (Ball Joints, Angle Drives). I also do not like their reproduction seat covers at all, the quality or type of leather skins is not consistent with OEM, their biggest offense in this customers eyes is their use of the term "new" build in describing their remanufactured or restored cars.

The bragging about all this combined experiance the techs at houston have, yes experiance repairing cars. Car repair and car manufacture from the ground up which they are claiming are two different things. I will not get into it but you do not have to dig to deep into this forum to read about quality problems a couple owners have had with relatively recent "new" build cars, one new owner picked up a bargain from someone that "had one that never ran right" as a "new" build out of Houston. The new owner fixed it tightening something down under the valve cover. The other needed an engine overhaul at DPI 24-36 months after the "new" build was purchased.

In closing here is some DMCL vs DMCH history for yah, and this in my eyes put's it into perspective. In the time it took DeLorean to break ground and build his plant in Dunmurry, and all 9,000 or so of our Stainless Steel cars where put into production and built, and DMCL ultimately ending in bankruptcy, the same time that it took for all that to happen has since passed since James Espey first announced new repro Binacles would be produced by DMCH and we still don't have them as of this posting. So lets talk about respect and where it is deserved as far as our cars history is concerned. My hat goes off to those workers thirty years ago in Dunmurry, that made all of this happen in the first place. IMO DMCH still has a long way to go when it comes to quality, customer service, and achievment when you compare them to the people that made this dream happen in the first place.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast