FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil leaking from around oil pressure sender

My VIN:    16655

Oil leaking from around oil pressure sender

Looking over the engine (more accurately, staring in distain at the clogged cat, but it was in the general area...) a few days ago I noticed that there was oil on the underside of the oil pressure sender (http://www.delorean.com/store/p-6227...sor-light.aspx) on the driver's side of the engine. I tightened it up about a turn and cleaned it off, but when I checked it after having it running for a few minutes (to shuffle the cars around to get the car into the garage to work on it...) it again had oil under it.

Is there a torque spec for the pressure sender? It seemed like I could tighten it more, but I didn't want to damage it or the block. If I get a replacement sensor (and crush washer), can it be replaced without draining the oil (or more accurately, without making a massive mess if I don't drain the oil...)?

Thanks!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Other that access with the stock exhaust, replacement is pretty straighforward. No oil will spill out assuming you don't try and do this with the engine running. The biggest mistake is not tightening it enough. I don't know of a spec. Just really tight.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Leak

Mine is leaking also,just haven't changed it yet.Oil pressure sensors usually do not leak where they are screwed in,they leak inside and the oil comes out by where the wire is attached.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The sender can be disassembled and sealed with some silicon sealer but replacement is fast and easy. Tightening things up more will not stop the leak. You do get a small amount of oil coming out when you remove the sender, nothing that you can't control with rags.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm reviving this thread to double check the absence of a torque spec on part 102462. I see that it is M18. Is there one? I try to use one wherever possible.

Thanks!

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I'm reviving this thread to double check the absence of a torque spec on part 102462. I see that it is M18. Is there one? I try to use one wherever possible.

Thanks!

image.jpg
    Not really, just very tight. You'll feel the crush washer crush and then it will suddenly feel a lot tighter.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Not really, just very tight. You'll feel the crush washer crush and then it will suddenly feel a lot tighter.
    You have to use what we in the trade call a "Calibrated Elbow". You develop a feel for what works. There isn't a spec on EVERY nut and bolt on the car, only the critical ones. Is there a spec on the oil filter? How about hose clamps? The screws on the tail lights? I could go on but you should have the point by now.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks for the added information. I have developed a feel for the crush washers used on the oil pan plug, so I'll use that as a guide. While I understand that there's not a spec every time or for every screw, I use one where available, especially when pressure, load, or soft materials are involved.

As for hose clamps, I actually found a spec as I am about to replace all coolant hoses and rad next. Here's a link to a PDF for the Norma clamps included with my kit.

http://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf/res/NORMACLAMP_TORRO_en.pdf/$file/NORMACLAMP_TORRO_en.pdf

Thanks again for all your help and patience.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

I wanted to revisit this thread to share an update.

When I installed the sensor last year, I tried to get it as tight as possible without damage to the threads or sensor. But, being cautious, I didn't get it tight enough and over time it weeped a little around the copper crush washer.

So, recently I used a torque wrench and tightened the sensor an increasing amount until I could feel the washer crush, and then a little bit more. That torque turned out to be 28 ft/lbs. It was also more pressure than I would have thought safe in that situation.

After that, it didn't leak any more.
    Dana

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The sender can be disassembled and sealed with some silicon sealer but replacement is fast and easy. Tightening things up more will not stop the leak. You do get a small amount of oil coming out when you remove the sender, nothing that you can't control with rags.
    David Teitelbaum
    I took mine apart end put a o ring in it arround the part were the wire goes onto. This was almost a year ago and it has not leaked anymore!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast