FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power seats

Power seats

Hello was wondering if anyone knows of a power seat track system that will work with the stock seats? Was thinking of trying to add power seats. Appreciate any help. Thank you

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Anything is possible if you're handy and don't mind making some modifications.

The obvious problem to me is that power seat rails are fairly tall. DeLoreans don't have a lot of vertical room to begin with, so taking up another 3-4 inches with power rails could get ugly.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Anything is possible if you're handy and don't mind making some modifications.

The obvious problem to me is that power seat rails are fairly tall. DeLoreans don't have a lot of vertical room to begin with, so taking up another 3-4 inches with power rails could get ugly.
    Thanks, yeah I realized that just wasn't sure if anyone on here had experience with either an aftermarket track that worked or a certain model vehicles track that would work. Most modern cars tracks are way to big . Thanks

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

John McCarty did this on his mirror polished car many years ago. He has the adjustment buttons located near the power window switches. So it is possible to do, but I have no idea what seat tracks he ended up finding that would work. I would estimate he did this modification in the late 1990's.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    5470

Quote Originally Posted by DMCSPRINT View Post
    Hello was wondering if anyone knows of a power seat track system that will work with the stock seats? Was thinking of trying to add power seats. Appreciate any help. Thank you
    You could also consider taking a look at cars that sit low and see if you like the seats in them, and then do a full seat swap and keep your stock seats in storage for if/when you sell the car. I think trying to adapt the power units to the Delorean seat will add height like others have mentioned, and the seat-swap may save a few precious inches, as the motors are tucked in to the seat base.

I am curious though - most owners I have met are the sole drivers of their car. Seat adjustment usually happens at an interval that's on pace with ownership change.

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
    You could also consider taking a look at cars that sit low and see if you like the seats in them, and then do a full seat swap and keep your stock seats in storage for if/when you sell the car. I think trying to adapt the power units to the Delorean seat will add height like others have mentioned, and the seat-swap may save a few precious inches, as the motors are tucked in to the seat base.

I am curious though - most owners I have met are the sole drivers of their car. Seat adjustment usually happens at an interval that's on pace with ownership change.
    Hello, yeah I thought about a complete seat swap but wanted everything to look stock but have more modern features. And it's not really a big deal just something to make it a little different. My tracks are a little discolored and that's what got me thinking about it. Thank you for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by DMCSPRINT View Post
    Hello, yeah I thought about a complete seat swap but wanted everything to look stock but have more modern features. And it's not really a big deal just something to make it a little different. My tracks are a little discolored and that's what got me thinking about it. Thank you for the reply
    Sure thing. It's something I'm considering too. My seats are in near perfect condition, so I thought about keeping them that way by not using them. Also, I don't find the seats super comfy, so I thought about swapping something newer. I did the same thing with my Mustang years back. Kept the original seats in the basement, and swapped in seats from an Eclipse, and included the original seats with the sale.
    aft3.jpg

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Delorean Power Seats

I too have been looking into the power seat question extensively. The one D that had "power seats" had "adjustable seats" lumbar supports, etc. But NO up and down movement.

My recollection is the seat came from a Porsche or a Fiero. (or possibly similar "low" car where only back and forth movement is possible.)

The problem I ran into was that the donor car is now obsolete and these seats are no longer available. The few "low" cars that had these optional seats, way back when, made these even more rare.

So after many months of looking and search I have given up on trying to find a donor car. I looked at cutting the floor so as to allow the use of more modern power seat mechanisms but
    these are at least 3" tall and just not realistic.

However, I have not given up on power seats for the Dream DeLorean. What I have planned is the use the stock seat tracks but to modify them so I can use a 200 lb 4" linear actuator to
    move the seat back and forth. There is more than enough room for the linear actuator and high power linear actuators are relatively inexpensive.

I am planning on working on this option later this year and will be posting pictures of the design.

Bob

My VIN:    2823

I have seats out of a 95 T/A installed in mine, HOWEVER it doesn't move the seat back/forward (bc I'm using the original DMC tracks) but between mounting them and clearing the motor (lumbar support is functional) I sit higher in the DMC. It's not that HUGE of a big deal, but if someone was over 6ft, they'd most likely hit the top of the door. On a plus side, I can see the hood and fascia. So I think that's where the main issue may come from; the motor mounting.
    81 DeLorean w 4.3 Chevy Vortec engine mated to Porsche 915 transaxle

Quote Originally Posted by at88mph View Post
    I have seats out of a 95 T/A installed in mine, HOWEVER it doesn't move the seat back/forward (bc I'm using the original DMC tracks) but between mounting them and clearing the motor (lumbar support is functional) I sit higher in the DMC. It's not that HUGE of a big deal, but if someone was over 6ft, they'd most likely hit the top of the door. On a plus side, I can see the hood and fascia. So I think that's where the main issue may come from; the motor mounting.
    Can you post a photo of your seats? I'd be curious to see what they look like in there. Thx!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast