FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Wings a Loft, door popper reviews

My VIN:    10541

Looking for Wings a Loft, door popper reviews

Hello all,

Jared here with VIN 10541. My D is currently sitting in DMC Houston getting some much needed TLC, and as with any trip to DMC, you start to ponder what extra things you would like to have them take care of while its in the shop. As such, we asked about the door poppers and Wings a Loft system. DMC Houston said they knew exactly what we were referencing, but at this time didnt recommend the system as it tends to cause door issues down the line.

Before I go any further, let me say that my doors are in the right shape for the system as they freely open on their own after having the door handle pulled and released. Further let me say that I trust DMC Houston as they are awesome folks and Im not trying to come across as ungrateful for their recommendation. Rather, I'm just wanting to get a second opinion as the previous threads I've seen on this subject seem to have nothing but glowing reviews.

So with that said my fellow D owners, has anyone here had the system installed and had any adverse effects happen to the doors after the fact? Would you install the system again if you had the choice? Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.

Very Respectfully,
    Jared

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Mine has been in place for about 5 years now. I don't know what issues could arise unless you use the cheap connectors they send you. Splice them in right and you will be fine.

As far as mods goes, this is the most fun, most used, and best 200 bucks you can spend on your car.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

For the door opening system to work you have to crank the torsion bars up a little more than normal. That puts a lot of additional stress on the whole door system. Could cause problems eventually. Probably have to replace the struts more often too because if they weaken even a little the doors won't open all the way. The doors must always be in good adjustment too. It does get people's attention though! For many, keeping the doors working without the opening system is a lot of work, adding the door opening system is an additional expense and can be problematic especially if the doors are not in perfect adjustment.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    For the door opening system to work you have to crank the torsion bars up a little more than normal. That puts a lot of additional stress on the whole door system. Could cause problems eventually. Probably have to replace the struts more often too because if they weaken even a little the doors won't open all the way. The doors must always be in good adjustment too. It does get people's attention though! For many, keeping the doors working without the opening system is a lot of work, adding the door opening system is an additional expense and can be problematic especially if the doors are not in perfect adjustment.
    Nope not correct at all. The kit adds only the weight of a small linear actuator...hardly enough to require another tooth in the torsion adjustment.

Another thing that I should mention is you can drop the old heavy solenoids and replace them with the same linear actuators...making the door much much lighter and maybe, just maybe making the adjustment necessary in the opposite direction.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Nope not correct at all. The kit adds only the weight of a small linear actuator...hardly enough to require another tooth in the torsion adjustment.
    It is not so much the additional weight. Most doors are adjusted so they will stay open all the way. If you just pop the handle the doors won't open all the way by themselves, you must push the doors open all the way. With the door poppers you need the added force so the doors can open all the way by themselves unassisted. That requires at least another spline maybe 2.
    David Teitelbaum

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I would have to check my records, but I've had them for about 10 years now. Except for an actuator replacement after a few years (covered under warranty), the system has been working great and the doors are just fine. I also swapped out the door lock solenoids at the same time and adjusted the torsion bars down. Never needed adjustment since and the launchers have caused no problems. I've never heard of any issues with them damaging doors either.

One thing to also note is with the door launchers, you no longer touch the outside door handles. If you have the original plastic ones, this means the likelihood of breaking them goes way down. And a new set of door handles is actually more expensive than door launchers (which also provide keyless entry). The conspiracy theory side of me says Houston is more interested in selling replacement handles then door launchers which is why the recommend against them.

So unless Houston can explain what door issues they cause, I would go forward with them. I think you'll be hard pressed to find somebody that regretted them.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My advice is to spend the $$$$ somewhere else, like parts that actually make the car nicer to drive. Specifically exhaust and/or suspension mods. One of my cars has the top of the line wings a loft with trunk/bonnet popper as well. Seems to work approx half the time. I didn't purchase or install the system myself. It was something the previous owner had done at a DMC shop years ago. If you've done everything else possible to your car and still have money leftover that is burning a hole in your pocket....then by all means, go for it.

I don't have nearly the knowledge as you on these cars but I have never known a properly adjusted door to need a "boost" to open nor have I seen one that needed a extra nudge to fully open at limit. Plenty of them do because either the struts are weak and/or the bars are out of adjustment. I can say that mine work great after several years and it gets driven more than most cars.
    In fact if it didn't work so well I doubt you would see as many positive reviews about them. Oh well, to the OP, it's 200 bucks. If you like the concept and 200 bucks isn't too much to spend go for it. Plan on about 4 to 6 hours for installation. Read my review on them "wings a loft ramblings". If you are skittish then run away. Run hard and run fast.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is not so much the additional weight. Most doors are adjusted so they will stay open all the way. If you just pop the handle the doors won't open all the way by themselves, you must push the doors open all the way. With the door poppers you need the added force so the doors can open all the way by themselves unassisted. That requires at least another spline maybe 2.
    I have the VPA kit that uses big-ass solenoids and it required 2 splines on each door to open because of the weight of those heavy things. However, like Micheal pointed out about the ability to replace the Lock Solenoids with actuators, you should be able to perform that mod and lighten the doors so much that the adjustment of the torsion bars wouldn't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    My advice is to spend the $$$$ somewhere else, like parts that actually make the car nicer to drive. Specifically exhaust and/or suspension mods. One of my cars has the top of the line wings a loft with trunk/bonnet popper as well. Seems to work approx half the time. I didn't purchase or install the system myself. It was something the previous owner had done at a DMC shop years ago. If you've done everything else possible to your car and still have money leftover that is burning a hole in your pocket....then by all means, go for it.
    Kits like the Wings-A-Loft kit aren't vital for installation, no. But they are nice for both showing off as well as function. Especially when you're getting into your car during a downpour. Not having to fiddle with the door to unlock and raise up makes a big difference in keeping you dry. Door opens as you approach, and you just jump in and pull it down on your way inside.

Like I say, I have the VPA kit which was installed totally incorrectly when the doofus that did it crossed the wires between the clearance lights and the dome lights. Which resulted in strange behavior most of the time and killed the reliability. By contrast I have installed the Wings-A-Loft kit on another car. It was both easy, and also reliable for the owner after that with no problems.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast