FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fastest Delorean In The World

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Once you heavily customize it, you're pretty much stuck with the car, haha. You wont find many shops to work on a standard DeLorean, let alone one that's been heavily modified.
    Amen to that! I bought mine already modified with the Chevy 350 from an early 80's Vette - and it's a good thing I had a lot of practice on my son's 70 Camaro getting it running right, upgrades, etc (it's not hard to work on, and actually it's probably an easier engine to work with than the stock DeLorean engine). Anything I can't do I'm lucky enough the shop near my house has a couple mechanics that build hot rods and restore muscle cars. But it's mostly me that has to do the work, and fortunately I'm pretty mechanically inclined to do so.

My VIN:    2894

Just a little fire...

Whew.

So while cutting the notch out for the transition from automatic to manual, Kenny started a grease fire in under the Delorean. I guarantee you've never seen an adult dive THROUGH a time-machine modded Delorean like this before. Enjoy...

CEO at RentTheDelorean.com
    Dreamer at FastestDeloreanInTheWorld.com
    First & Longest Running Video Blogger at TheOfficialJourney.com ( 1999-2022 )

Been awhile since I updated you guys - but the engine is now officially swapped! I flew out to Ohio for a pretty intense 3-day weekend to help out and got tons of great footage...

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Holy cow! In 3 days!!

image.jpeg

Looking awesome!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

This is going well, but there has to of been a better way to set that transmission, or better adapter so the engine sat back enough to breath. lol Cool build either way. Wish the videos were longer and a bit more detailed. I love watching builds like this

I'm on the fence with my swap. On one hand I have a perfectly running PVR engine. The other I have full drawings to mate an LS to the stock UN1 trans. Or my Favorite a VW 1.8T engine with flipped 5 speed gear box. The 1.8T could easily produce over 300hp and the weight is far less than even the aluminium LS engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Will F. View Post
    This is going well, but there has to of been a better way to set that transmission, or better adapter so the engine sat back enough to breath. lol Cool build either way. Wish the videos were longer and a bit more detailed. I love watching builds like this

I'm on the fence with my swap. On one hand I have a perfectly running PVR engine. The other I have full drawings to mate an LS to the stock UN1 trans. Or my Favorite a VW 1.8T engine with flipped 5 speed gear box. The 1.8T could easily produce over 300hp and the weight is far less than even the aluminium LS engines.
    I gotta get a pic from the underside to show you guys the line-up of everything. We could've gone back with the transmission about 2 inches, but it would've required shortening the shift linkage somehow and it would've put an EXTREME angle on the axels. It's the issue with switching the transmission. If we weren't attempting 600HP this wouldn't be an issue. If you stick with the stock transmission you should be fine.

Weight wise, just judging from the wheels when we lower the thing we seem to have somehow saved a LOT. I guess that PRV was more of a beast than we realized.

Days 2 and 3 coming up shortly...

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

The PVR is a beast! the fuel system is prob equivalent to at least 2 additional cylinders alone. Cant beet the power output of an ls for the weight of it. They are truly remarkable engines.

Will

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamKontras View Post
    Weight wise, just judging from the wheels when we lower the thing we seem to have somehow saved a LOT. I guess that PRV was more of a beast than we realized.
    The PRV is a surprisingly chunky engine. When I had both engines out of the car, I weighed them both while they were out the LS1 was only about 115lbs heavier. It sounds like a lot, but isnt really when you consider that you're literally doubling (more than doubling in your case) the displacement of the engine. The difference in the power to weight ratio is crazy. You probably also saved weight with the transmission. That automatic transmission weighs so much, especially compared to the (stock) manual. At the end of my swap, The total curb weight of my car had only increased almost exactly 100lbs (as measured with 4 wheel scales). So many people kept assuming it would be like 500lbs... crazy talk. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 02-24-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Day 2 of our 3-day marathon... I have a new appreciation for exhaust pipes now. What beautiful piece of work this was... hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast