FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fastest Delorean In The World

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by AdamKontras View Post
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...alerie-mellema

With two mufflers and two catalytic converters I'm not seeing how this could possibly not pass... we've gone pretty above and beyond to follow the laws here. In fact it pissed my brother off because it hurts the horsepower but we knew we had to do it.

And people modify cars and do engine swaps all the time here and still get smog checks. !?!?
    Well, not legally. There are shops that will do a smog for a special fee (read LOTS of money), and pass it. But those are becoming less and less. I was going to get a DeLorean previous to the one I have now and put in a TDI, however it still wouldn't have passed since it wasn't original equipment in the car.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamKontras View Post
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...alerie-mellema

With two mufflers and two catalytic converters I'm not seeing how this could possibly not pass... we've gone pretty above and beyond to follow the laws here. In fact it pissed my brother off because it hurts the horsepower but we knew we had to do it.

And people modify cars and do engine swaps all the time here and still get smog checks. !?!?

HA, if you think you will have any chance in being smog legal with this engine as it is, you really have done no homework. I dont see one CARB legal part on the top of that engine. Just to name off some of the infractions Ispotted from that last thumbnail: aftermarket heads, that sexy intake, air ductingx fuel pressure regulator.....

CA. wont pass a stock PRV with tubular headers.

Please do some research and call some smog shops. That said for the right price it can all be overlooked by a shady smog tech, but that will be a biannual issue.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    I just have my car registered in South Dakota. I guess you could register yours as an antique here in California, but I don't know if it's old enough yet.

Remember the CHP is also cracking down on people registering vehicles in other states but still live here. That is actually a misdemeanor fine. Now you can register the car as an antique collectible, however it must have collector insurance. And there's a mileage cap that you cannot exceed every year. But yes you do not need to smog in that situation however it is extremely restrictive and I doubt it will work with all the traveling you would do for this vehicle since it is part of your company which travels around.

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Remember the CHP is also cracking down on people registering vehicles in other states but still live here. That is actually a misdemeanor fine. Now you can register the car as an antique collectible, however it must have collector insurance. And there's a mileage cap that you cannot exceed every year. But yes you do not need to smog in that situation however it is extremely restrictive and I doubt it will work with all the traveling you would do for this vehicle since it is part of your company which travels around.
    Yeah I don't travel around much and events are every so often, unlike Adam's. Also, to get an antique designation in California, your car has to be at least 39 years old. Even an 81 isn't that old.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Yeah I don't travel around much and events are every so often, unlike Adam's. Also, to get an antique designation in California, your car has to be at least 39 years old. Even an 81 isn't that old.
    Do you care to comment on the process to get South Dakota registration? Thanks
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    2894

Wow I just realized I didn't show you guys the video of the car actually RUNNING and driving....

And on the smog stuff... I will be legal since my business depends on it. Just a matter of doing my research as Chris so kindly put it.

CEO at RentTheDelorean.com
    Dreamer at FastestDeloreanInTheWorld.com
    First & Longest Running Video Blogger at TheOfficialJourney.com ( 1999-2022 )

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Do you care to comment on the process to get South Dakota registration? Thanks
    Sure. At first when I bought the car, it was already registered in SD due to the owner planning on moving there someday, so I was afraid I was not going to be able to get it registered at all - there or here in San Diego.

But first, I had to change the title, as the title didn't match the VIN- there was a 180 in the title, and the VIN was 1BD... so for $15 bucks they changed the title and put it in my name.
    Then I asked if I could register it and they said "Sure", and I didn't need to be a resident. I did have to pay sales tax on it (as I had not, anywhere, yet), submitted a form, and within about a month had my new plates and registration tags.
    I had asked if I could do that with any of my other cars and they said I could.

If you go to the South Dakota DMV site, go here and get this form:
    https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secur...gistration.pdf

Fill it out and send to Nancy Coit: [email protected] and she'll let you know what it will cost to title and register the car. Then you send off a check to her attention, and within a few weeks you'll have your title and plates.

Greg

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hey Adam, I saw that you had a problem with the new engine (a valve or something?).

I hope you are able to get it resolved soon enough. It was sounding really awesome in the clip above.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    2894

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hey Adam, I saw that you had a problem with the new engine (a valve or something?).

I hope you are able to get it resolved soon enough. It was sounding really awesome in the clip above.
    Things have been moving so fast with the documentary I didn't want to keep slamming this thread with videos. Not sure if people would appreciate that. EVVVVVVVVVERYTHING is on the documentary page on http://fastestdeloreanintheworld.com/

Quick update however, we were sold a shoddy rocker arm set and through a ton of favors and late nights getting back to square one only set us back one week. I'm in Ohio now doing a ton of gigs with the car and the 1/4 mile record attempt is still set for this Sunday although rain looks like it may cancel the event. Ugh.

Anyway a ton of great little videos on the site of the car driving... it's been an incredible journey.
    CEO at RentTheDelorean.com
    Dreamer at FastestDeloreanInTheWorld.com
    First & Longest Running Video Blogger at TheOfficialJourney.com ( 1999-2022 )

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Looks like it's over...

Read his blog and watch his video and it pretty much says it all.

http://www.4tvs.com/Journey/2017/ent...61317.html?i=1

This was a cursed project to start with

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast