FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fastest Delorean In The World

My VIN:    16409

This car is awesome. My only question is, how will you get it to comply with CA emissions? The state is awful about modifications.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    2894

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    This car is awesome. My only question is, how will you get it to comply with CA emissions? The state is awful about modifications.
    The state isn't actually as bad as you think. They see this as a 1981 car. It has to meet a different set of standards because it's 35 years old. We have two mufflers and two catalytic converters - it will honestly run FAR cleaner than the original PRV engine...
    CEO at RentTheDelorean.com
    Dreamer at FastestDeloreanInTheWorld.com
    First & Longest Running Video Blogger at TheOfficialJourney.com ( 1999-2022 )

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamKontras View Post
    The state isn't actually as bad as you think. They see this as a 1981 car. It has to meet a different set of standards because it's 35 years old. We have two mufflers and two catalytic converters - it will honestly run FAR cleaner than the original PRV engine...
    This is good to know. I've considered job opportunities on the west coast before but was never sure what would become of my car. Hopefully a rework of the exhaust to include catalytic converters is all that would be required.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Congratulations!!! This is awesome! You'll never forget the first time you heard it; glad you got it on video!! I cannot wait to see your face when you drive it!!

Hearing it fire up gave me chills! I drove a different car to work today and am thinking I need to run home at lunch and swap cars, haha!
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 03-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.

My VIN:    07000

You might want to double check that first. Being it's a 35 year old car or 5 year old car doesn't matter, except they see a 35 year old car having more stringent smog requirements. Add that now a visual inspection is also part of the check - anything that looks off will be an automatic fail. Any car in California from 1975 and earlier is smog exempt. And in certain areas, you don't have to smog based on population (like Potrero, Campo, and other areas where the population is less than 100). But I can't smog my car, which has the 350 from an early 80's Vette. Now granted, it doesn't have any smog equipment on it and is carbed. But I was told simply because it's not the stock engine, it can't be smogged. And thus why I have it registered in South Dakota, and I don't even have to be a resident or have a PO Box there - they just want our money. And it's a lot cheaper to register there as well.

Nick - as long as your family is in Florida or some other state, you can keep your car registered there, probably for a lot less than in California, and never have to worry about having to get a smog check. Ever.

Oh, and from what my local shop told me, they and other shops are getting rid of their older smog test equipment, so now most everything will have to have an OBDII port to even do a smog check.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This is good to know. I've considered job opportunities on the west coast before but was never sure what would become of my car. Hopefully a rework of the exhaust to include catalytic converters is all that would be required.
    Or not- just keep it registered in some other state - either Florida or your home state, and you won't have to make any changes at all. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    You might want to double check that first. Being it's a 35 year old car or 5 year old car doesn't matter, except they see a 35 year old car having more stringent smog requirements. Add that now a visual inspection is also part of the check - anything that looks off will be an automatic fail. Any car in California from 1975 and earlier is smog exempt. And in certain areas, you don't have to smog based on population (like Potrero, Campo, and other areas where the population is less than 100). But I can't smog my car, which has the 350 from an early 80's Vette. Now granted, it doesn't have any smog equipment on it and is carbed. But I was told simply because it's not the stock engine, it can't be smogged. And thus why I have it registered in South Dakota, and I don't even have to be a resident or have a PO Box there - they just want our money. And it's a lot cheaper to register there as well.

Nick - as long as your family is in Florida or some other state, you can keep your car registered there, probably for a lot less than in California, and never have to worry about having to get a smog check. Ever.

Oh, and from what my local shop told me, they and other shops are getting rid of their older smog test equipment, so now most everything will have to have an OBDII port to even do a smog check.
    How would you register an antique car, then?

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...alerie-mellema

With two mufflers and two catalytic converters I'm not seeing how this could possibly not pass... we've gone pretty above and beyond to follow the laws here. In fact it pissed my brother off because it hurts the horsepower but we knew we had to do it.

And people modify cars and do engine swaps all the time here and still get smog checks. !?!?

My VIN:    16409

California is terrible when it comes to smog check. The car could put out water vapor and they would still fail it because it's not original. Find a shop that doesn't care about the visual. In my opinion if it passes the numbers it should be good, but not in CA.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

How would you register an antique car, then?
    I just have my car registered in South Dakota. I guess you could register yours as an antique here in California, but I don't know if it's old enough yet.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast