FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fastest Delorean In The World

My VIN:    2894

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Glad you've enjoyed it!

I haven't run a 1/4 mile on it (on a track at least). Not for any good reason other than that I've just never made my way to a drag strip to do some runs.

Also it's not out of commission, I drive it 1-2 days a week! (though it has seen less road time the last couple months as I've gotten my Opel GT on the road.) I just recently installed a lift so I've been taking the opportunity to clean the undercarriage.
    Attachment 48558
    Man that's awesome. What I wouldn't give to have that type of space! And sorry - I thought you were rebuilding your transmission again, but maybe that's Josh. I get your swaps confused every once and awhile...

I'm hoping through this site we're going to get enough exposure that we can pull off some pro-bono 1/4 mile runs and dyno pulls in return for giving the tracks/shops some exposure. Not every day they see a Delorean at the track. ;-)
    Last edited by AdamKontras; 01-23-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    CEO at RentTheDelorean.com
    Dreamer at FastestDeloreanInTheWorld.com
    First & Longest Running Video Blogger at TheOfficialJourney.com ( 1999-2022 )

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Nicks LS1 Delorean is pretty freaking fast with 475hp when I drove it two years ago.

I imagine this build will create a really stupid fast car.

Good luck with the build and I am following ya on You Tube!

Episode 6 is up! Thought we'd lay down the guidelines and metrics for declaring "Fastest Delorean in the World". As you'll see, it's pretty much common sense, but it's good to make it clear. Hopefully we can inspire the "Swappers" to get their cars tested and even have a race or two!

Look forward to your thoughts!

My VIN:    10270

IMHO 1/4 mile MPH is a better judge of power than time.

You can have very consistent MPH with varying times. Times are affected by track conditions, tire choice, willingness-to-flog, clutch condition, chassis setup, etc., and generally the fastest times are all about the 60'.

I plan on going to a T&T down the road but will only be looking at MPH. I might dial in 2-step to find the best launching RPM but dont see the benefit of hard launches just to squeak out the best times. Too much risk for too little reward.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    IMHO 1/4 mile MPH is a better judge of power than time.

You can have very consistent MPH with varying times. Times are affected by track conditions, tire choice, willingness-to-flog, clutch condition, chassis setup, etc., and generally the fastest times are all about the 60'.

I plan on going to a T&T down the road but will only be looking at MPH. I might dial in 2-step to find the best launching RPM but dont see the benefit of hard launches just to squeak out the best times. Too much risk for too little reward.
    So you think the 0-60 speed is a better judge of "Fastest" than Top speed or 1/4 mile time? I would presume you'd have the same "hard launch" issue trying to get to 60mph as fast as possible as you would trying to get to 1/4 mile as soon as possible... We're only talking about a few seconds in each case...

My VIN:    10270

No, I'm talking about the 1/4 mile trap speed.

By 60 I mean the 60-foot time which is what will make or break your 1/4 mile time, or your differential, clutch, pressure plate, driveshafts, etc
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    No, I'm talking about the 1/4 mile trap speed.

By 60 I mean the 60-foot time which is what will make or break your 1/4 mile time, or your differential, clutch, pressure plate, driveshafts, etc
    AHHHHH. Now I get it. However you could totally screw up your launch and still get the same top speed at the 1/4 mile no? Just depends on where your power is. That's why the time seems to be a better determiner in the end...

The truth is - this will be a GREAT problem to argue because that means more than one person will have done it. . They give you all of those times when you run the 1/4 mile anyway - so we'll see if we find any differences. I have a feeling anyone who can beat 12.66 will have beaten the other metrics too...

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Anybody knows what happened with this one? The website says 'sold' (15 years ago!), but the car seems to be 'disappeared' ....
    Nobody has an idea? I'm just curious ...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Nobody has an idea? I'm just curious ...
    Nope, just fell off the edge of the earth. I've been sort-of looking for it for years and never even hear stories about it. My guess? It was sold to someone, broke almost immediately, they owner couldn't figure it out nor find anyone to work on it, and it is rotting away in someone's backyard. I suppose it could have been converted back to stock by now, but it also had a pretty unique Mazda Cosmo dashboard (the whole thing!) in it that would have been fun to convert back.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Nope, just fell off the edge of the earth. I've been sort-of looking for it for years and never even hear stories about it. My guess? It was sold to someone, broke almost immediately, they owner couldn't figure it out nor find anyone to work on it, and it is rotting away in someone's backyard. I suppose it could have been converted back to stock by now, but it also had a pretty unique Mazda Cosmo dashboard (the whole thing!) in it that would have been fun to convert back.
    Yeah, I have to believe if it was running at all we'd have heard about it sometime in the past 15 years. Dave is right - it's in someone's garage or backyard as a "project". It'll pop-up one of these years on the boards when the guy needs help making it run!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast