FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Head lights (high and low beams) stuck on

My VIN:    10686

Head lights (high and low beams) stuck on

Hello all! I am about to take delivery of my 1st delorean #10686. She has a few issues but nothing major.......yet. One of the issues is the high and low beams are stuck on. It appears the head light switch has some wear and is more than likely the original one. Just wondering if anyone can give some words of wisdom. I already ordered a new head light switch but have yet to install it, the car needs to arrive first. just wanted to get a heads up on any other causes besides the switch.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by txdmc View Post
    Hello all! I am about to take delivery of my 1st delorean #10686. She has a few issues but nothing major.......yet. One of the issues is the high and low beams are stuck on. It appears the head light switch has some wear and is more than likely the original one. Just wondering if anyone can give some words of wisdom. I already ordered a new head light switch but have yet to install it, the car needs to arrive first. just wanted to get a heads up on any other causes besides the switch.
    There are no relays so if you have a problem switching from high to low or low to high it will be in the headlight switch.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks for the reply. I figured it is probably a bad switch, that info is very helpful! The seller said the lights are stuck on so I figured it was a switch.

My VIN:    03572

There is one high beam relay and one low beam relay. The two in the front row on the center right side when your looking at the relay compartment. You can pull one relay at a time and verify the lows and the highs go off. You can swap the two blower relays right to the left of the headlight relays to verify relays are good or not.

Note: if you had my solid state relays, you could not swap them. The power and load pins are reversed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Spoke too soon, Bitmaster is correct, there ARE relays and it is possible one could be stuck. Swapping the relays is easy but it will probably turn out to be the switch. Once you get the car, feel how the switch moves. If it feels "floppy" it is probably the problem. It is also possible there is a wiring problem, someone could have messed with the wiring. I would not have ordered any parts yet till I can see what the problem actually is. On your initial order you may also want to get some filters, some bulbs, manuals, and any other bits that are missing. You should have 2 keys too. In low beams only 1 headlight on each side will light and in high all 4 should light up.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks for the replys. When I get the car I will more than likley do a relay update as well.

My VIN:    3937

Could also be something related to the highbeams stalk on the left side of the steering column. Pull towards you and release to "flash to pass" the highbeams. Push away from you and click into position to keep the highbeams on. The stalk might just be pushed forward and you don't realize it. Or it got whacked with someone's knee and now it's fubarred.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior