FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door and panel alignment suggestions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    5470

Door and panel alignment suggestions

So I've read that aligning the doors is a long process of trial and error of moving the striker bolts around. I have an issue that I'm pretty sure can not be fixed by adjustment. I have my rear striker bolt all the way in, and all the way down. Yet, the door still does not sit flush. I thought perhaps the latch was only closing partially, and that I might need to move the striker bolt out slightly, so that it would catch fully, but no, that didn't work. It looks like it's catching fully on the striker, and the door still sticks out. What do people do in this case? Drill out the hole the striker bolt goes in to?
    20170110_213913.jpg 20170110_213927.jpg

Next, my fascia has some very wide gaps where it meets the fenders. I am told this is years of shrinkage, correct? However, looking closely at the fender holes, they're oblong, indicating that they could be moved forward, but then the hood would need to be moved forward to match, and then it would hit the fascia in the center. Any advice on how to close this gap?
    20170106_175410.jpg 20170106_175415.jpg

Lastly, my rear fascia sits almost an inch below the rear SS panel. I have found that if I prop up the inside of the fasica with spacers, I can get it to get close to where it needs to be, but it's bending the fascia in to weird contours, and I was wondering if there was a more professional way to do this?
    Without spacers:20170106_174857.jpg
    With spacers:20170106_174814.jpg
    Attached Images