FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another coolant leak!

My VIN:    0967

Another coolant leak!

So after getting my coolant leaks up front taken care of everything has been good for a month or so. But the other morning when I left for work I had a pretty decent sized puddle under the rear of the car right next to the passenger side tire. There has been no drips in that spot at all until now. When I had the car up on a lift, I had taken pictures of all the minor leaky spots but I didn't see anything in this area. I checked my coolant level and it wasn't low at all and nothing is leaking from the tank. My main question is where is this leak most likely at? I couldn't even see any coolant hoses above there so I'm not sure where to focus my search. I can see that coolant is dripping down onto the rear shock so it has to be above there somewhere. Any ideas?

image.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnny-T; 01-21-2017 at 10:03 PM.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Looks like overflow from the tank to me
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Looks like overflow from the tank to me
    That's what I originally thought as well, but its too far forward to be the overflow. Plus it continues to leak throughout the night even after the car is cool. My best guess is there must be a loose hose clamp somewhere lower and a little bit forward of the coolant tank. I cant see any wetness when I look down into the engine compartment but there is definitely something coming down onto the right rear shock.

When the tank blows out excess it usually travels forward on the frame. Feel the hose - is it wet?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    When the tank blows out excess it usually travels forward on the frame. Feel the hose - is it wet?
    My overflow hose is a bit wet on the end but it's also usually pointed straight down to an open area above the exhaust. I don't see how it could be causing the puddle further forward next to the wheel.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last picture shows the spot where it has dripped just since I got to work a little while ago.
    Last edited by Johnny-T; 01-21-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Time for a pressure tester. That'll show your leak in a hurry. If you don't see a leak it's the over flow.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

I have the hose from the overflow tank hanging in a plastic botle, so if anything comes out I know about it and it does not mess up the frame. Plastic bottle is held in place with a zip tie.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I agree with the overflow as the likely culprit. Mine overflowed once with the OEM tank and hose. As Dave said it travelled forward on the frame and onto the air deflectors and dripped some for several days. What a mess. My SS tank came with a clear hose. I bought a longer one and zip tied it to point down at the bottom of the quarter panel. It's not noticeable from the outside... Like so:
    image.jpg

Good luck.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3937

Might be time for a replacement header bottle cap. They are designed to hold back pressure until about 15 psi, and then relieve... out the overflow hose. If the cap is bad, it may be relieving at a lower pressure, or simply letting it weep out slowly but continuously, even when the car isn't on.

Confirm the level in the reservoir tank too. Typically should be filled to about halfway in that tank. If it is (was) filled right to the top, you aren't giving it any room to expand as it gets hot and it'll come out that hose all the same.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It can also be the cap itself. Make sure it is the correct cap and then have it tested. If you still have the plastic header bottle replace it. Check the hoses going to the header bottle for leaks. When cold it should only be about 1/2 full to leave room for expansion. If you do pressure test the system that does not test the cap. So, assuming the system tests OK but leaks near the cap, you have to suspect the cap.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast