FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Refurbishing stock exhaust

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Manifolds Deck Planed

Today I picked up my manifolds from Precision Cycle Inc., the shop that deck planed them. They were very rough beforehand, with depressions and extra casting material protruding from supposedly flat mounting flanges. No wonder I had 3 of 6 ports leaking!

Before:
    image.jpg

After:
    image.jpg

Don, the shop owner only removed enough material to provide a completely flat surface, as expected. This was the second task that I had him do and can definitely recommend him for welding and machining work like this. He is excellent to deal with, reasonably priced, and he is a fellow Delorean owner.

I also picked up a can of POR -15 High Temp paint from Brandon. Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Cat meets acid

So, the manifold, cat, and front / crossover pipe are ready and waiting for media blasting. I got worried about media getting into the fine screen on the catalytic converter so today, I tried muriatic acid at least around both openings so I could seal them shut beforehand. It worked well, so I continued...

Before:
    image.jpg

After:
    image.jpg

I guess the cat doesn't need blasting anymore.

It looks like the only thing on this part that is mild steel is the square flange with the 4 bolts attached.

Question: does anyone know if the catalytic converter is stainless steel? It sure looked like it when I was stripping the rust off of it. The metal behaved differently than the square flange which skimmed over with light rust shortly afterwards (as you can see in the picture).

What I will paint with the POR-15 depends on the metal. Maybe I just have to paint the flange.

Also, I picked up some aluminum colored "flame proof" paint to refurb the asbestos heat shields for the starter and cat.
    image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Painting

Today, I painted these exhaust parts with the POR-15 High Temp. As mentioned previously, I stripped the cat with muriatic acid and I had the other parts glass bead blasted this week. To clean them afterwards for painting, I used a SS wire brush on the little bit of surface rust that formed in the meantime, then high pressure air, and finally, a liberal amount of carberator cleaner to clean off any residue.

image.jpg

I got confirmation that the catalytic converter and crossover /front pipe are stainless but I opted to paint them anyway for looks. I understand that the cat can reach 1400 degrees which exceeds the tolerance of the POR -15. So, in hindsight I may not have painted the cat, just the square cast iron flange.

I was impressed by how close the color of the POR -15 High Temp Manifold Gray was to the bare cast iron. The manifold on the left has been painted, the one on the right is bare.

image.jpg

Here are the parts with one coat of paint done. A half pint of the paint is plenty for multiple coats.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I'll do a second coat tomorrow.

Thanks to Brandon for blazing the trail.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 02-11-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    Dana

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check the instructions. I don't think multiple coats are a good idea. One thin, even coat is all it takes.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Check the instructions. I don't think multiple coats are a good idea. One thin, even coat is all it takes.
    Hi Dave,

Thanks. I always read the instructions. The can states " A second coat can be applied in 24 hours, depending on ambient temperature and humidity".
    Last edited by DMC-81; 02-11-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Dana

My VIN:    4519

Looking good...!

That painted manifold totally looks like the unpainted one.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Looks great, Dana!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thanks. I always read the instructions. The can states " A second coat can be applied in 24 hours, depending on ambient temperature and humidity".
    While a second coat "can be applied" it may not be wise to do so. In my experience, the less you do to the manifolds the better as far as painting goes. One kind of coating that is sold is a kind of bluing, it is more like a dye and is activated by the heat of the parts that leaves a thin coating so it won't rust. A thick coating won't expand and contract at the same rate as the parts and will eventually crack off. One exception to that is porcelain. That is a thick coating and can last a long time.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    While a second coat "can be applied" it may not be wise to do so. In my experience, the less you do to the manifolds the better as far as painting goes. One kind of coating that is sold is a kind of bluing, it is more like a dye and is activated by the heat of the parts that leaves a thin coating so it won't rust. A thick coating won't expand and contract at the same rate as the parts and will eventually crack off. One exception to that is porcelain. That is a thick coating and can last a long time.
    David, with all due respect, do you have specific experience with POR -15 High Temp? I'm guessing not, since you were unaware of the name change above. You suggested that I check the instructions. Then you still disagreed with the manufacturer's specific instructions as it didn't support your generic opinion. This product is activated by heat and it is well reviewed.

Sorry, but I discount your hypothetical comments. If you have specific experience as Brandon posted above, please share.
    Dana

Second coat and exhaust port honing

Today, I applied a second coat on the exhaust pipes. I stripped and painted the 2 OEM plugs for the crossover pipe as well.

image.jpg image.jpg

I also cleaned and honed the surfaces for the exhaust ports on the heads today, and cleaned the sides of the engine block.

Here was the driver's and passenger side before honing....

image.jpg image.jpg

Here is the driver's side after cleaning and honing. I block sanded them wet, with 320 grit and Gunk engine cleaner. I used a nylon brush and a blue Scotch Brite pad on the block. I still have more block cleaning on the rear of the block to do.

image.jpg

Here is the passenger side, first pass. I'll hone it a little bit more...

image.jpg
    Dana

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast