FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Refurbishing stock exhaust

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Actually I DO have experience, I still have the can that says POR-20! The best stuff I have used is Eastwood's Hi-Temp stuff. It goes on thin and is "activated" by the high temperature. Keeps the parts from rusting and gives them an even color. I used the grey but now they have other colors too. It has been a while since I used the POR-20, I don't know if it is even any good anymore. I wasn't all that pleased with how it came out anyway.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

While the POR-15 paint is drying, I'll clean up and repaint the stock catalytic converter heat shield. It's asbestos so I'll take precautions and won't sand it.

image.jpg

I posted the can of spray paint above that I selected for it.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4519

It's gonna look great like the rest of your car.

I want to paint my OEM starter shield....I'll go with what you use on your cat shield.

Today I started pre-assembling the small parts on the manifolds and on the crossover pipe. I used anti-seize on the M10 studs in the manifolds, the 4 M6 X 12mm bolts that hold the SS heat shields on the pipe, and on the 2 plugs. I first painted my old plugs 2 coats, and after waiting 24 hours after the second coat, I cured them on the barbecue @ 400 degrees (after explaining to my wife what I was doing ). I laid them on aluminum foil to protect them from open flame. They fared well.

image.jpg

I discovered that the 6 original M10 aero nuts were stainless. I soaked them in oxalic acid for a couple days, brushed them off, chased the threads with a tap, and washed them in water. They looked great.

I got new copper nuts with my DMC kit. I wonder if it's better to reuse the stainless ones, or use the new ones. I'll probably use the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    It's gonna look great like the rest of your car.

I want to paint my OEM starter shield....I'll go with what you use on your cat shield.
    Thanks Rich!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Looks great, Dana. Do you have an after shot of the heat shield post-spray?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Looks great, Dana. Do you have an after shot of the heat shield post-spray?
    Hi Brandon,

Thanks! Sure, here it is cleaned up and sprayed with 2 coats. I'll probably add 1 or 2 more coats tomorrow, hence why the wires are still on the parts.

image.jpg
    Dana

Everything's looking great (as usual.)

What did you use on the heat shield?

Parts ready

Just in time for the long weekend, I was able to get these parts ready for installation...

image.jpg

I previously refurbished the muffler with muriatic acid and wet sanded it with 600 grit and water, so that's ready to go too. (Be very careful if you use this acid. Strong nitrile gloves, long sleeves, safety glasses or a face shield and breathing protection are necessary. Use outdoors. Have baking soda and water to neutralize the acid on what you use it on, and on the acid before disposal.)

image.jpg image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Everything's looking great (as usual.)

What did you use on the heat shield?
    Thanks Rich! I used an old toothbrush and a sparing amount of mineral spirits to clean it on the outside. The stains didn't really come off, but it cleaned off the flaking paint. Then, I applied 4 coats of "flameproof " paint. The first two soaked in a bit, but by the fourth coat I was able to get an even finish.
    Dana

Today I got one manifold installed.

Driver's side block cleaned and M7 exhaust studs installed with anti-seize:
    image.jpg

Then, I used high temp gasket maker on my DMC gaskets.
    image.jpg

Gaskets placed:
    image.jpg

Manifold placed. I put gasket maker on the cast iron flange as well, so it's on both sides of the gasket. I installed the nuts finger tight for an hour, and then torqued to 11 ft/lbs with anti-seize afterwards:
    image.jpg

I'll do the other side tomorrow.
    Dana

That.....looks.....NIIIIICE!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast