FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cooling fans not kicking on while car is idle.

My VIN:    6989

Cooling fans not kicking on while car is idle.

I keep an eye on my engine temperature gauge quite a bit (force of habit now due to scary close calls in the past). Lately, I noticed that if my car is stopped(engine running), the gauge would be exactly between 220 and the first orange dial, then the fans kick on.

Last night, as I was sitting in the drive thru, and I noticed the gauge crawling very close to the first orange dial. Of course, I turned on the A/C before the orange dial was reached, and the car cooled down fine. I have no issues actually driving, the engine stays cool as it should while the car is in motion.

I apologize if this has been answered before. What is it most likely? Thanks in advance!

-Fluxn83

My VIN:    03572

You should make up a jumper to jump the two otterstat wires to verify connections are working. When jumped and key turned on jumping should turn of the fans.

If your jumper test works, most likely your otterstat needs replacement. Otterstat can also not work if you have some air in the cooling system.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You should make up a jumper to jump the two otterstat wires to verify connections are working. When jumped and key turned on jumping should turn of the fans.

If your jumper test works, most likely your otterstat needs replacement. Otterstat can also not work if you have some air in the cooling system.
    +1

I see you are fairly new to the forum, not sure how new you are to DeLoreans, so please forgive me if this is too basic. The otterstat is located on the driver's side, sticking out of a coolant pipe. Just left of center in this picture with the orangish seal:

David Proehl