FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: EFI made easy for the PRV... maybe??

My VIN:    10398

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

EFI made easy for the PRV... maybe??

The other day I went down to a Roadkill event down in Tucson and while walking around the vender area I come up with a great idea. Like a lot of us long term owners (ten years this Spring) I love my Delorean and have no plans to sell ever. But that damn K-jet gets on my nerves and just produces a whole host of problems to keeping the car running. So here's my hopefully great idea, now I've never really considered going with a carb on my Delorean. But what if I took the carburetor intake and installed a Fitech EFI/carb replacer on top of that. If they replace carbs on other classics cars why won't it work with the Delorean, assuming i could get the carb intake...

Ideas??

My VIN:    03572

It would probably be easier to use a throttle body injector as far as software not having to do any ignition timing. Would kind of work like the K=jet. You would need to select a throttle body sized for our engine.

Don't know if that would buy you anything, the K-jet on my car never seems to cause me any problems.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I guess I don't fully understand everything that goes into the k-jet system/EFI. Currently my car runs just fine But I'm hopeful someday I can do custom mapping or make easy adjustments like I can on my EFI motorcycles.

But Please don't get me wrong I love my Delorean just the way she is, not trying to turn it into a race car or anything. But a modern EFI set up would be great, easy to find parts for, check codes, tuning etc etc :-)
    Last edited by Dmc10398; 01-23-2017 at 02:50 PM.

I went through problems with mine also.

Make sure it is in "tune" I paid a local garage to make it smog legal.

I installed a switch across my cold start value. I used the relay terminal in the fuse compartment. Then put the switch by my shiftier.

When the car will not start, i just flip the switch and "dump in the fuel'. It runs rough for a second, but it works for me.

I have all new check values and a new accumulator. Still had issues. This has given me back some confidence in the K jet.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I thought about those conversion kits a few years back too. But never really saw any in a two barrel config, always 4 for the large V8s. I was also worried about going a step back to throttle body injection too. Ultimately my K-Jet is working just fine and has been pretty trouble free for the last 13 years, so I never gave it any serious thought. But if somebody does go through the paces and can confirm with a dyno that the performance increases, I would be really interested!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

For all of the time and money it can cost to modify the fuel injection system, it is going to be better to just do what is necessary to get the stock K-jet system working as it should. If you ever need to order parts or service, the D vendors won't know what to do.
    David Teitelbaum

Well I would normally totally agree with you David but my fear is as time goes by the k-jet parts are going to get harder and harder to come by and far more expensive. Thankfully it seem like the DMC venders are working on a EFI kit and Josh (DPI) apparently has one working already. Which is probably going to be the safest bet, but god knows how much the venders are to want to change things over.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Dmc10398 View Post
    Well I would normally totally agree with you David but my fear is as time goes by the k-jet parts are going to get harder and harder to come by and far more expensive. Thankfully it seem like the DMC venders are working on a EFI kit and Josh (DPI) apparently has one working already. Which is probably going to be the safest bet, but god knows how much the venders are to want to change things over.
    I hear you but it will always cost a whole lot more to change the whole fuel system than to get even an expensive part. The vendors will have to find sources to repair, rebuild or replace the parts to keep the fleet running. If you don't let the car sit with old fuel for years, the K-Jet system will probably be fine. That seems to be the worst thing you can do to it. Hose kits are available, new fuel pumps are too, and many parts cross over from other makes so for the foreseeable future the fuel system should be serviceable.
    David Teitelbaum

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

In the near 13 years of ownership, the only issue's i have ever found with K jet is bad fuel, long term sitting and etc... Seems the more you drive the less worries you have! I would love a EFI system but i cant see dropping the K Jet.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    In the near 13 years of ownership, the only issue's i have ever found with K jet is bad fuel, long term sitting and etc... Seems the more you drive the less worries you have! I would love a EFI system but i cant see dropping the K Jet.
    +1

Only problem I've ever had with my fuel system is when my (old style) FP disintegrated inside the fuel tank. I then replaced it with DMCH's combo unit (after a good cleaning). No problem since (that was a couple years ago when they first came out, I think).

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast