FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting another DeLorean, so I need a little help, please!

My VIN:    10644

Correct, Jonathan, I'm not trying to be concours-picky, I'm trying to identify areas of concern to help explain the bizarre pricing. I also hadn't seen the VIN yet to know which hood to expect. I also haven't seen a whole lot of black interior cars, so I mistook the carpet for one of the much later two tones.

It's all good my friend. Sorry if it sounded like I was being defensive, I totally wasn't.

In the pictures it looks like it has a two tone type of interior, but I think it's because of the camera flash.

Now the only thing that doesn't look quite right is the headliner. That is more of a grey color, versus the circle black.

My VIN:    10644

Nothing suspicious about a replaced headliner though. Can't wait to hear what happens with this one.

Hey gang! I was able to pick the car up this past Friday and what a chore let me tell ya. The car wasn't getting any power to it, even when trying out 3 batteries. And I wanted to hear it turn over before I left this guys place. There is an electrical cut off switch behind the passenger seat that wasn't working, so we had to unhook that. After that this guys mechanic squirted some gas in the manifold and we got it to fire up. And it sounded real good. But... he had to keep squirting gas into the engine for it to run, and that's how we drove it up on the trailer. I'm just giving you all the condensed version. lol

Finally before leaving his place, in the pictures you can clearly see the shop manuals in the pictures. I asked him days before I bought the car where they were? He didn't know and told me he would get right on top of finding them for me. I called everyday for 3 days asking if he found them? He said he hadn't looked yet because he hadn't had any time. Before we leave on Friday I ask about the manuals, and he still hadn't found them. So I told him to go look for them right now, because I wasn't going to leave without them. My buddy and I help him search through his upstairs office, which is just full of papers, and other crap, when I finally find them hiding under a stack of a million other things. So I was happy to have found them.

After getting it home we rolled it off the trailer, uphill of course, to get it in the trailer. It took me, my buddy and his brother to roll it up the driveway into the garage. Oh the joys of life!

It's a nice car but it's just going to need some work, and I realized that before I got it. It's also good to know that I bought it for less than he paid for it. He bought it for $13,000, and I paid $9,500. I think he thought he was going to make a quick buck off the car, that's why he originally listed for so much.

Originally I was told it was the fuel pump that didn't work, and that is why the car wouldn't start. When I turn the key to the ON position I can hear the fuel pump buzz as its priming. When I took the pump out of the tank that's when I noticed that the gas is rather nasty. The fuel pump is all sticky and tacky from all the bad gas. I tried blowing through the return line and it's completely plugged up. So I'm guessing that the fuel system needs to be replaced. Yay!

That leaves me to ask, where would be the better place to get a new fuel pump kit. You've got Houston, John Hervey... Anyone have a preference on one over the other?

Thanks and I'll keep you all updated as to what goes on.

James
    6408 & 2168

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanDMC81 View Post
    Hey gang! I was able to pick the car up this past Friday and what a chore let me tell ya. The car wasn't getting any power to it, even when trying out 3 batteries. And I wanted to hear it turn over before I left this guys place. There is an electrical cut off switch behind the passenger seat that wasn't working, so we had to unhook that. After that this guys mechanic squirted some gas in the manifold and we got it to fire up. And it sounded real good. But... he had to keep squirting gas into the engine for it to run, and that's how we drove it up on the trailer. I'm just giving you all the condensed version. lol

Finally before leaving his place, in the pictures you can clearly see the shop manuals in the pictures. I asked him days before I bought the car where they were? He didn't know and told me he would get right on top of finding them for me. I called everyday for 3 days asking if he found them? He said he hadn't looked yet because he hadn't had any time. Before we leave on Friday I ask about the manuals, and he still hadn't found them. So I told him to go look for them right now, because I wasn't going to leave without them. My buddy and I help him search through his upstairs office, which is just full of papers, and other crap, when I finally find them hiding under a stack of a million other things. So I was happy to have found them.

After getting it home we rolled it off the trailer, uphill of course, to get it in the trailer. It took me, my buddy and his brother to roll it up the driveway into the garage. Oh the joys of life!

It's a nice car but it's just going to need some work, and I realized that before I got it. It's also good to know that I bought it for less than he paid for it. He bought it for $13,000, and I paid $9,500. I think he thought he was going to make a quick buck off the car, that's why he originally listed for so much.

Originally I was told it was the fuel pump that didn't work, and that is why the car wouldn't start. When I turn the key to the ON position I can hear the fuel pump buzz as its priming. When I took the pump out of the tank that's when I noticed that the gas is rather nasty. The fuel pump is all sticky and tacky from all the bad gas. I tried blowing through the return line and it's completely plugged up. So I'm guessing that the fuel system needs to be replaced. Yay!

That leaves me to ask, where would be the better place to get a new fuel pump kit. You've got Houston, John Hervey... Anyone have a preference on one over the other?

Thanks and I'll keep you all updated as to what goes on.

James
    6408 & 2168
    If it has old gas in it, I would drain the tank first, then start going through the entire fuel system to determine what you need. If your fuel lines are original, go ahead and replace them immediately for safety sake. You probably already know this if this is your 2nd D.

As far as the pump goes, you have a couple of options. The OEM setup, available through your preferred parts dealer or the DMCH pump-sender combo unit, which is their improved and more expensive unit. I use the OEM setup. I also have used a combination of DMCH, DPI, & PJ Grady for my preferred parts vendors. The rubber boots in the OEM setup will break down and turn to goo over time. That's one of the downsides to running that setup.
    Jeff

My VIN:    3937

Where is better to get fuel parts because of the "where" or because of the "parts"?

Everyone develops a preference for vendors over time. It is usually because of a good experience to stay with who you found, or a bad one to make you go elsewhere. Pretty much all the vendors have pros and cons. Location, shipping costs/times, price, attitude, availability for questions, etc.

I'd agree with Jeff's suggestion of cleaning the fuel tank and system as best you can first. Then I might see if the fuel sender is working or not. The new combo unit from DMCH includes a fuel sender built into the design, so if you need all of that, it might be a good option for you. If your sender is fine, then maybe you still with the OEM style set-up. You can access pretty much all the flexible lines easy enough on the fuel system. Hardlines are more difficult to get at or replace.

Which return line did you think was plugged? The hardline coming back to the tank, or a portion of the flexible lines in the engine bay? Fuel filter should likely be changed out too. You can buy a "filter pack" to give you the fuel, air and oil filters together as you probably need all of them.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Because you said the fuel was "nasty" the entire fuel system must be cleaned out starting with the fuel tank. Remove all of the old fuel and wipe it out with Acetone. Flush the feed and return lines. Remove the fuel distributor and make sure the plunger moves freely. See if any of the injectors can squirt fuel and if so what the patterns are. Figure on buying some fuel hoses, a filter, an accumulator, and probably a fuel pump. You will also need an air filter, and oil filter (or 2), at a minimum. Change ALL of the fluids. Check the date codes on the tires. At least you know the motor is basically healthy, the clutch works, the transmission works, and the steering and brakes work. Since the fuel pump makes noise it may actually be working. You may just need to buy the boot and cover and maybe the pick-up hose.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks for the comments everyone!

The return line I had talked about being plugged is the metal one that sits right next to the fuel pump.

I know it's been said to only take the tank out if you need to touch up the frame, at least that's what I've read. But I'm taking the tank out, I'm half way there right now.

I was siphoning the gas out yesterday and there is nothing but a thick brown goo all over gas tank. So I want to make sure it's cleaned out properly. The guy I got it from said he just drove it into the shop about a month ago, well I call B.S. to that. It even had the previous owners plates from california on the car, and that registration expired in April of 2004.

Again though, I knew what I was getting into when I got the car. So I'm going to take the tank out, clean it, then start moving my way back and getting what I need.

I will definitely keep you all updated as this project goes on

Thanks everyone!

James
    6408 & 2168

Here is an update for you all. So I removed the tank, thankfully, because it was pretty nasty. So much Brown goo all over the inside of it. The worst part is when it gets on your hands and won't come off. It's just a sticky mess that gets all over everything.

I'm so thankful for the acetone, I poured that into the tank, sloshed it around, used a rag to wipe it off inside, and dumped out the mess. It worked FANTASTIC! It was much easier than I thought It was going to be.

Of course I had to take the coolant pipes off and there was no coolant in the engine at all, just water that came pouring out. And it was nasty brown rust water.

So I can only imagine how the rest of the engine looks.

Here's a question for you, I want to get a new radiator hose kit, along with a new radiator, and in was curious if the one Houston selis good, or I was also looking at getting Hervey's kit. Any ideas from you all?

Thanks!

James
    6408 & 2168

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Avoid Hervey.

I've had issues with the DMCH rad, but others haven't. I run a DPI rad now.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast