FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting another DeLorean, so I need a little help, please!

Looking at getting another DeLorean, so I need a little help, please!

Hey Everyone! So I'm looking around at getting another DeLorean and here is what I found.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...ity-utah-84101

I was told it ran but the fuel pump went out. This person ordered another one and it will be here in a few days. There are several dents on the panels. I'm not sure what the frame looks like, but I'm going to look at it in a few hours. So all in all in it needs some TLC.

The price is negotiable. Currently he's asking $19,500, and he even told me he's asking too much and that the price is negotiable.

So I guess my question is, what would be a good price to offer. I'm not stupid when it comes to vehicles. I was at one time but not anymore. So I can walk away if the price isn't right.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

James

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

That's quite a price drop !!!

It was listed in September for $34,500 at the same place.

I am always suspicious about cars that "mysteriously just stopped working" but it is a "cheap/easy fix"

PS - James, when did you sell your old car?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanDMC81 View Post
    Hey Everyone! So I'm looking around at getting another DeLorean and here is what I found.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...ity-utah-84101

I was told it ran but the fuel pump went out. This person ordered another one and it will be here in a few days. There are several dents on the panels. I'm not sure what the frame looks like, but I'm going to look at it in a few hours. So all in all in it needs some TLC.

The price is negotiable. Currently he's asking $19,500, and he even told me he's asking too much and that the price is negotiable.

So I guess my question is, what would be a good price to offer. I'm not stupid when it comes to vehicles. I was at one time but not anymore. So I can walk away if the price isn't right.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

James
    Don't even talk a price till he can get it running. Wait till the fuel pump is put in and see if it runs. If it won't then the price is even more negotiable. Even if it runs, get a test drive and see what else is wrong. Dents can cost a lot to fix, especially if you take the panels off and send them out. Check out each piece of glass too. Ask what else comes along with the car (if anything). Get a look at the Title and make sure it is "clean" (not salvage). During the test drive check to see if the speedometer/odometer works. Another thing to negotiate. Not so much that it is broken and needs to be fixed, the mileage is wrong and is lower than it should be making the car seem better (lower mileage) and that affects value. Check a date code on a tire. If older than 7 years you need a set of tires. Battery 5 years. All of this must be considered before making an offer. Of course get a good look at the frame, the front crumple zone and the rear engine cradle. Good luck.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

So the lowest he would go is $9,500. And the car isn't running, so I don't know about how well it runs. The frame is actually in fantastic shape. The driver side door is badly dented, along with the back of the drivers driver's side quarter panel.

So what do you all think?

Thanks!

James

P.S. Don't worry I still have my Car. :-D

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

So the lowest he would go is $9,500. And the car isn't running, so I don't know about how well it runs. The frame is actually in fantastic shape. The driver side door is badly dented, along with the back of the drivers driver's side quarter panel.

Thanks!

James

P.S. Don't worry I still have my Car. :-D
    I always create a shopping list while looking at a DeLorean. After I come up with a total, I double it. This gives me an idea of how much i'd have to invest to have a nice driver above and beyond the purchase price of the car. Factor in shipping and storage if it applies.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    3937

Relative to what values have been in the past 12-24 months, for $9,500 I would suggest buying it immediately.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Something smells fishy here imho.

He lists it in September for $35k, it's now listed at $20k and he offers an immediate 50% discount?

Has it a clean title?

Did you actually visit the shop?

$9500 seems too good to be true. Just saying.

However, if all the paperwork checks out, I would jump on it.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

If it's legit I would pay 10k right this minute based on the photos alone. Why don't these people live close to me?

Seriously if this guy was within a few hundred miles I would be heading there tonight with a cashier's check in hand for him and a flatbed in tow. That's a steal.
    Last edited by Michael; 01-24-2017 at 06:47 PM.

It is a clean title, I went and saw the car about an hour ago. It's nice, just needs a little work.

OK, I'm probably going to get it. If you guys are telling me it's a steal, might as well go for it. I guess I can always resell it I'd I don't like it. lol

James

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Just check the big ticket items. Make sure the frame isn't toast and if you can, bring a jump box, pull the rpm relay(or just trip the inertia switch) and see how it sounds cranking.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast