FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Leaking around axles

My VIN:    10201

Leaking around axles

Car is in the shop and I noticed it was leaking around the connection between the axles and the transmission. Looking on the DMC website, I'm assuming this is the part I need. Is there anything else I would need part wise to do this?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

There's a second o-ring around the output shaft you'll need.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    There's a second o-ring around the output shaft you'll need.
    Very often the sealing surface on the output flange is damaged where it seals. Only replacing the seals won't stop the leak. The solution is to replace the output flange or buy a sleeve to put over the surface. Do not remove the adjustment nut to remove the seal. It isn't necessary and you can lose the adjustment necessitating removal of the whole transmission to get it right again. While you are doing the seal you should replace the gear oil and check all of the shifter adjustments and the front, left transmission mount.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Very often the sealing surface on the output flange is damaged where it seals. Only replacing the seals won't stop the leak. The solution is to replace the output flange or buy a sleeve to put over the surface. Do not remove the adjustment nut to remove the seal. It isn't necessary and you can lose the adjustment necessitating removal of the whole transmission to get it right again. While you are doing the seal you should replace the gear oil and check all of the shifter adjustments and the front, left transmission mount.
    This

Clean up the axle flange and post a pic, or send one to your favourite vendor. They will tell you if it is likely to leak again even with a new lip seal. They can offer a new axle flange or a speedy sleeve.

Also, don't follow the work shop manual which tells you to remove the diff adjustment nut. I did, but was lucky enough to mark a reference point and count the number of rotations.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Also, make sure you force the roll pin out directly up, not on an angle.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10201

My phone was dead at the time but I told the mechanic to snap a picture for me. Ill post it later tonight when I get my car back.

www.delorean.eu

My VIN:    11626

sleeve

Best option is get a 42 mm sleeve and a new seal, make shore you clean the spline and putt silicone on it before you install it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    My phone was dead at the time but I told the mechanic to snap a picture for me. Ill post it later tonight when I get my car back.

My VIN:    03572

P.J. Grady can supply you all the parts. I got a rebuilt axle, sleeved flange, new seal and a set of new boots and grease for the other axle.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...oving-the-axle
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/