FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: John Hervey Strikes again

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I am honestly shocked he is still in business. Just goes to show you how many owners stay away from the forums.

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

The last order I made from him was for my water pump. I did not want the pulley since I work in a machine shop and knew how to get it off. But I just remember him talking down to me like I was some kind of idiot. Ah well, wish his banter kept me away, cause I ended up replacing the water pump from a defect in the aluminium leaking. lesson of the story, you really do get what you pay for even though with these cars it can be tricky since everyone is trying to sell you SS this and SS that because it is some how making the world better. lol
    My Go to supplier now is PJ Grady. Rob over there goes above and beyond to help me out. Even when I feel like i'm bugging him with questions he takes the time to explain them to me perfectly so I can do it myself. I think that says alot about his character. Oh and believe me, it there is something you need, Call him. He has way more on the shelves than the website could even blink and eye at.

Will
    Last edited by Will F.; 02-24-2017 at 08:50 AM.

My VIN:    17009

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I am honestly shocked he is still in business. Just goes to show you how many owners stay away from the forums.
    Yeah man I had no idea he was that bad. No idea until I started reading some of the stuff on here.. Lesson learned.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The "bottom feeders" will always be in business. Simple reason is that lots
    of people shop based on price alone. And often, you get what you pay for. The most hardcore of "price only" shoppers will repeatedly make the same mistake over and over simply bc it is cheap. Can't fix stupid.

My VIN:    1597

Ohhhh the stories I could tell....................
    Should I start with the $1500 iirc check that he misplaced or the 3 bad fuel distributors in a row. Or maybe the shock collars that collapsed and I found out I was the 1st customer "guinea pig" and guess I should tighten them up a little more. Then there was the......
    That said I have not delt with him in years but his one piece speedo cable solved a issue DMC overlooks to this day. For bits and pieces he also has some unusual great stuff like the butterfly bolts to make taking the air filter off a breeze. The ss fuel lines are great as were the silicon lines and cooling hoses. His fuel pump is still going strong after 5 yrs. Radiator fans still kicking. Guess I need to catch up on the latest. All I really remember was "I am a one man operation here." Flip a coin and either get talkative John or the sob, stop bothering me with dumb questions John.

Here is one of the collars that slipped "Easy rider iirc" Luckily it settled overnight and not while driving. This was circa 2007 or so.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 03-07-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    1597

I to had the d150 heavy duty bla bla..... Never worked and my mech said it was not turning fast enough to keep the charge at idle. I dunno but after a "you are the only one with that issue" I heaved it into a box where it sits to this day some 10 years later.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I forgot to add my ball joint story. I replaced my original LBJs with the "new" ones from SpecialT again back in the early 2000s. Installed them and not soon after did the passenger side fail while I was taking a turn just after exiting a highway, thankfully not on the highway! The passenger side wheel went up and into the fender shredding the tire. The LCA was damaged. Not only that, I had to figure out how to get the car home.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I forgot to add my ball joint story. I replaced my original LBJs with the "new" ones from SpecialT again back in the early 2000s. Installed them and not soon after did the passenger side fail while I was taking a turn just after exiting a highway, thankfully not on the highway! The passenger side wheel went up and into the fender shredding the tire. The LCA was damaged. Not only that, I had to figure out how to get the car home.
    Thanks for sharing the story on the ball joints! I was always wondering if anyone ever had one of Hervey's modified VW ball joints fail. They were slightly too long and it was possible to tighten the castle nut all the way down on the threads without the taper locking into the steering knuckle. I hadn't heard of an actual failure until now, but there is another long winded thread about ball joints and why hervey's are crap. The snap ring groove is also a machined after the fact and it ends up looking pretty sketchy.

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The only time I've ordered from him, I ordered one of his magnetic oil drain plugs along with some o-rings. I got the o-rings and waited over a week before calling him about the magnetic drain plug. When he answered I introduced myself and gave him my order number to which he said "woah woah woah slow down I'm a one man show." ... and silence. I didn't know if he was answering a question I had yet to ask. I proceeded like nothing had happened and asked when the plug would ship. He told me "just because you ordered online doesn't mean I have it in stock AND you can't have it right away. Just because it's online doesn't mean you get it today"

I never got my magnetic drain plug.
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Ohhhh the stories I could tell....................
    Should I start with the $1500 iirc check that he misplaced or the 3 bad fuel distributors in a row. Or maybe the shock collars that collapsed and I found out I was the 1st customer "guinea pig" and guess I should tighten them up a little more. Then there was the......
    That said I have not delt with him in years but his one piece speedo cable solved a issue DMC overlooks to this day. For bits and pieces he also has some unusual great stuff like the butterfly bolts to make taking the air filter off a breeze. The ss fuel lines are great as were the silicon lines and cooling hoses. His fuel pump is still going strong after 5 yrs. Radiator fans still kicking. Guess I need to catch up on the latest. All I really remember was "I am a one man operation here." Flip a coin and either get talkative John or the sob, stop bothering me with dumb questions John.

Here is one of the collars that slipped "Easy rider iirc" Luckily it settled overnight and not while driving. This was circa 2007 or so.
    more people need to see this image with the collars. I advise against them whenever i can, but still people buy them. They are destined to fail, regardless of how tight they are.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast